Shape of the World

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Mar 30, 2022 2:07 pm
I started trying to assemble a list of what elements normally go into 'Cyberpunk' so we can talk about them and all get on the same page... It turned into a long list, needing explaining (and lacking clear consensus:).

Instead of curating a list --which might leave out stuff you think is important-- I suggest we start by taking a look at Cyberpunk Tropes on TVTropes, and I quite liked this list of 8 Cyberpunk Tropes that Embody the Genre, though I don't fully agree with all of them or the definitions as laid out there.
If everyone could list the elements they really want to see, and any elements they would prefer to avoid, and any elements they definitely don't want in the game at all, we can chat about how they fit and get started.
Commenting on the questions of what we want from the /run (as asked in the Job Board) would be appropriate here as well. The job will be intertwined in the way the world 'works'.
Mar 30, 2022 2:40 pm
I like that list of 8 tropes. The last two aren't necessary for me. Definitely like the clash of high tech with retro tech, neon, megacorps, and underdog stories.
Mar 30, 2022 2:43 pm
I have no objection to rain, as such, but do think it is overused in the genre, maybe due to Blade Runner? Or the opening of Neuromancer?
Mar 30, 2022 3:40 pm
Rain can be used as a metaphor for a glitching reality where the "analog" and the "virtual" become confused, and helps setting the mood in some scenes. I don't think it should always rain, but rain used for narrative effect is very welcome.

But I agree, it has been overused. Those 8 tropes are fine with me, too, anyway.
Mar 30, 2022 10:55 pm
I looked at that list awhile ago… I generally don’t like the whole samurai Japanese thing because it’s outdated, I and feels a bit random. but if we are committed to that as a genre, it can work.

I like the noir nihilistic dystopian aspect and the more current exploration of reality. But I’m just in to try out cyberstuff so I can do anything
Mar 30, 2022 11:01 pm
CESN says:
... don’t like the whole samurai Japanese thing ...
Let's skip that then.
CESN says:
... and the more current exploration of reality ...
What do you mean 'current'? Like '2022ish current'? We can do that without any problems.
CESN says:
... just in to try out cyberstuff ...
Yeah? And what is 'cyberpunk'? :)
Actually a serious question that we are trying to answer here. It has so many shapes and forms over the years, we need to work out what to include.
Mar 30, 2022 11:04 pm
I can highly recommend The Murderbot Diaries, book series by Martha Wells.
Some might not see it, but I thought it was an excellent rendition of cyberpunk (even if the 'punk' was a wallflower:). I must read more of her books.
Mar 31, 2022 12:36 pm
I agree, the constant rain sounds a bit forced just to achieve a certain mood. And the samurai thing seems irrelevant to me too. Retro tech, the noir atmosphere and the dystopian setting is what I like the most in cyberpunk.
Mar 31, 2022 2:18 pm
So, rain will happen when thematically appropriate, as will other weather.

Anyone who wants, is welcome to style themselves after 'samurai' or 'ninjas' or whatever, but that is a personal choice and not a widespread or dominant aesthetic in the world. Maybe it is a bit less conspicuous than cosplaying as such would be in our world?

We need to find a balance between 'reto' and 'current'. It sounds like we have strong feelings for retro, and a need to talk about 'current' or '20 minutes into the future'.
Mar 31, 2022 6:48 pm
The list of 8 looks good to me! I'm not too picky.

If rain isn't that compelling, there's other weather phenomenon that can set a mood & show environmental decay. Air filters are a big thing in cyberpunk because of low air quality from pollution, smoke. ect. I imagine Corps dominating city planning + high population = people living in sprawls with environmental health hazards. Non-touristy areas might be grimy and dirty. Long droughts or otherwise unseasonable weather could also effect quality of life & price of fresh produce.

I suppose that's partly why in some cyberpunk settings people eat a lot of nutritional rations that are basically human dog food. Lol

Edit: as for balance between "retro" and "contemporary" I like Retrofuturism. Like how the "now" might have been envisioned by people in the past.
Last edited March 31, 2022 6:50 pm
Mar 31, 2022 8:00 pm
Bananabread says:
... If rain isn't that compelling ...
Rain it pretty compelling, but not constant rain. It loses character when it's always there, and we start to take it for granted. :)
Bananabread says:
... ... weather phenomenon ... environmental decay ... Air filters ... low air quality ... Corps dominating city planning ... people living in sprawls ... health hazards ... Non-touristy areas ... grimy and dirty ...
GM taking frantic notes... :)
Bananabread says:
... in some cyberpunk settings people eat a lot of nutritional rations that are basically human dog food ...
Really? Can't say I encountered that, but it seems reasonable.
Bananabread says:
... I like Retrofuturism ...
Noted.
Apr 1, 2022 12:21 am
Hi all!

I'm on board with that list of 8 as well, although number 7 is actually one of my favorite ones. Advertising Everywhere is also something I like to see, but I understand when folks don't as we get so much in our real lives. I noted elsewhere, I may be one of the fewer fans of not retro-futurism but the really shiny holographic we haven't even though of it yet tec. But I'm perfectly happy with any style.

Nothing stands out to me as something I'd absolutely not want to see.
Apr 1, 2022 12:24 am
Dunko says:
Nothing stands out to me as something I'd absolutely not want to see.
Cool. Those are the most important types of things to chat about.
We can always add things to this --non-existent-- list as we play and find things we don't like.
Apr 1, 2022 8:33 am
vagueGM says:
What do you mean 'current'? Like '2022ish current'? We can do that without any problems.
Oh I mean, blending of virtual world and virtual reality, but with like actual technology. But I'm ok with that :D
Apr 1, 2022 9:51 am
CESN says:
Oh I mean, blending of virtual world and virtual reality, but with like actual technology.
Not sure I understand what is being said here. An example might help?
Apr 1, 2022 4:08 pm
sorry, real world with virtual reality
Apr 1, 2022 4:09 pm
What a difference a word makes. :)
Apr 1, 2022 7:05 pm
RE: the human dog food thing. Lol. I encountered it when playing Cyberpunk 2020 (TTRPG, never played the video game.)

https://cyberpunk.fandom.com/wiki/Lifestyle

It's listed on the "Groceries" section of that article. I bet there is some cool stuff in the wiki we could use for inspo too, if anyone wants to browse around.
Apr 1, 2022 7:50 pm
Bananabread says:
... never played the video game ...
Me neither, but then there are levels to that answer. I don't play video games (last game I played was Guild Wars, the original), and I didn't gel with Pondsmith's style of game (not to mention finding the previous 'Cyberpunk' games' layouts unreadable (Red was readable, but not my style))
Bananabread says:
... bet there is some cool stuff in the wiki we could use for inspo ...
You are all welcome to pillage that- and any other, wikis/sites for inspiration. Just remember that Cyberpunk is not Cyberpunk... um... that that game is not the genre, I don't even think it is very representative of the genre, so don't assume what they say there is true here.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.