Ask Me Anything: ireneofunyes

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Apr 3, 2022 3:36 pm
Turkey has a pretty robust film industry. Here in Canada on Netlix, I enjoyed a Turkish vampire series called Immortals. What's a great Turkish film that you've enjoyed?
Apr 3, 2022 5:35 pm
Qralloq says:
Turkey has a pretty robust film industry. Here in Canada on Netlix, I enjoyed a Turkish vampire series called Immortals. What's a great Turkish film that you've enjoyed?
Netflix shows are generally above average in terms of TV shows in Turkey. I highly recommend Kulüp (The Club) if you like historical drama. Local channels usually produce cliche and bad shows.

Well, I recently watched a movie called Aaah Belinda. It's 1986 movie, a pretty feminist one directed by a then-famous director, especially interesting when you think of how male-dominant that sector was back then and this movie is directed by a man. In it a modern actress is about to play at a commercial, which portrays a dull housewife. Belinda is a shampoo brand and the commerical is about how "beautiful and satisfying" the shampoo is :D At one moment she finds herself in the world of the commerical where she is actually a housewife with two kids, living a highly limited and oppressed life. I like finding gems like this, older movies tend to surprise me on that manner.
Apr 3, 2022 5:41 pm
That movie does sound pretty interesting
Apr 3, 2022 5:45 pm
Yeah, it was. I'm not sure English subtitles can be found for it but if you happen to find it I highly recommend the movie.
Apr 4, 2022 7:42 am
Dr_B says:
-any Turkish original RPG or setting that the world should know about?
Not a tabletop RPG per se, but I'm pretty sure the wondeful Mount & Blade videogames were developed by an all Turkish team.
Last edited April 4, 2022 7:42 am
Apr 4, 2022 8:20 am
DarK_RaideR says:
Dr_B says:
-any Turkish original RPG or setting that the world should know about?
Not a tabletop RPG per se, but I'm pretty sure the wondeful Mount & Blade videogames were developed by an all Turkish team.
Yes, this is true. Turhish video game companies (or rather a group of enthusiasts) usually lean towards mobile games and even if they produce video games they are generally small, indie-like games so Mount&Blade is an exception in this case.
Apr 6, 2022 6:31 pm
my 'Trademark Question' ©Antiproduct:
What do movies and television get wrong about your culture?
What's your favorite Nic Cage movie?
What is your least favorite episode of your favorite TV show?
Apr 7, 2022 6:57 am
crazybirdman says:
What do movies and television get wrong about your culture?
Well, I haven't seen much global productions mentioning Turkey or rather directly happening at Turkey. Maybe you have seen those memes where whenever an event takes place at Mexico on an American movie/tv show, there is automatic yellow filter placed. Maybe they do it to represent how hot it is there but it's still silly to represent a whole country just by one color. I think similar things are valid for my country as well, they probably over-sell the "oriental" aspect of it. Local movies and tv shows are another case. Especially tv shows, which do nothing but portray rich people, usually CEOs or rich families. OR, if they try to portray "regular" people, usually they are in such a bad situation that it's not realistic.
crazybirdman says:
What's your favorite Nic Cage movie?
Not seen much of his movies, unfortunately, especially recently. I remember watching the Ghost Rider wen I was younger but that's it.
crazybirdman says:
What is your least favorite episode of your favorite TV show?
[ +- ] Spoiler for Star Trek: The Next Generation
When you think of it, first two seasons of it contain much more bad episodes in comparison to the third, which had only one not-so-good episode, I guess.
Last edited April 7, 2022 6:58 am

You do not have permission to post in this thread.