@ notifications

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Apr 3, 2022 1:21 am
I didn't receive a notification from this @ mention (HERE).

I suspect it's because there's a BBCode tag between the @ and my name. I've noticed people often bold or colour usernames in posts, so it might be something that happens again. Should we have @ mentions ignore BBCode tags to avoid this?
Apr 3, 2022 4:59 am
Hm, I wouldn't expect that tag to work in the first place. Out of interest, does this one work? @Chalrytharendir
Apr 3, 2022 6:39 am
Yep that one works. So if the tag includes the @, it's okay, but if the tag is between the @ and the name it's not.
Apr 3, 2022 6:43 am
Yea, if it's an easy fix, I wouldn't see the issue (unless a user picks the name [b]owlofspinach 😄)

But if it's more complex, I wouldn't bother too much with it, probably. If you hadn't linked an instance of it occurring, I wouldn't have believed this case to ever come up. And it's from a newer member, so maybe they don't know about the @ system yet 🤔
Apr 3, 2022 6:48 am
It's kinda cool that these are the sorts of edge cases we're seeing though, right? It's like first world problems.

Yeah - I don't think it'll be especially easy.
Apr 3, 2022 7:19 am
I was about to make a joke about how tagging Chal was difficult because of the spelling of that name and that we should fix that. But then I realized, we already did, at least in games.
Apr 3, 2022 8:33 am
I would not expect it to work if there is anything between the @ and the name. It would not work on twitter (who I hold responsible for this @ syntax) either.
Apr 22, 2022 9:40 am
Today, the notification popped up on the homepage for @bowlofspinach tagging me in this post on April 18.

For a while now I've been getting delayed tag notifications but I keep forgetting to document it. Typically the notification on the homepage doesn't appear til days later, long after I read the post (as I understand it, reading the post should clear the notification).
Apr 22, 2022 9:49 am
It was probably not today but yesterday or the day before when I edited the post to change the title to closed.

Editing a tagging post retags
Apr 22, 2022 9:50 am
Quote:
as I understand it, reading the post should clear the notification
No, it doesn't. Only if you click on the notification or press clear
Apr 22, 2022 9:50 am
They shouldn't be delayed, but they might appear later if the post is edited to add your name.

Reading a post doesn't clear the @. Clicking the @ (or clicking clear to clear all) clears them.

I think it might be time to have reading a post clear the @ though. It was suggested right at the start, but I wanted to see how people used them before making a decision.
Apr 22, 2022 9:51 am
Quote:
I think it might be time to have reading a post clear the @ though
Please!
Apr 22, 2022 9:51 am
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
... notification on the homepage doesn't appear til days later ...
Are they not just hidden behind the top red bar? Or scrolled off the top of the screen?

Whenever I refresh GP it bounces slightly upwards as it populates things and the scrollbar changes size. That section is regularly off the screen.
Apr 22, 2022 9:56 am
Adam says:
I think it might be time to have reading a post clear the @ though.
The potential issue with clearing on 'read' is the same as with marking a thread as 'read'. Loading the page makes it think you have read things, apparently that is not always the case?

I still say: clear them when the page they are on is marked as read (or loaded).

For me, every single one of them has been seen and read by the time I look at the font page and see the notification. Since the ability to clear them all was added, it does not really bother me, I just habitually clear them all each time they appear... which does make them a little pointless.
Apr 22, 2022 10:09 am
The clearing (non?)issue doesn't really bother me but the delay does. Although, as pointed out, that may just be from a post getting edited. Will play closer attention to edit history if/when it happens again.

FWIW I'm with vague on the clearing mechanism.

Thanks!
Apr 22, 2022 10:24 am
@Jabes.plays.RPG does this notification appear right away?
Apr 22, 2022 10:27 am
And, I have wondered if we should not have outgoing @notifications coloured/styled differently so we can know we got them right. Knowing that the dots work, or how formatting tags apply would help, especially in previews.
Apr 22, 2022 10:44 am
vagueGM says:
@Jabes.plays.RPG does this notification appear right away?
Yep.

https://i.imgur.com/CVVSMdW.jpg

You do not have permission to post in this thread.