Checkboxes with more than two states

Apr 7, 2022 6:47 pm
How would we represent them?

Ironsworn could make use of 4 rows of 10

Thought that is a bit large.

two rows of two sets of 10 is still easy enough to track.

Both of which would be easier to mark and track than one row of 40 (which the site agrees it too much).
0/40

Starforged added a bit of complication to this, as there are Assets that give you one or two more ticks on a Progress Clock ignoring the Rank, so not all markings will be the same, as they tend to be with Ironsworn. 40 checks still works.
Apr 7, 2022 10:58 pm
Could use a table to compartmentalize them a bit more:
Apr 7, 2022 11:18 pm
Nice, or, maybe, a bit more mobile friendly:

Or even:

Apr 8, 2022 4:16 am
I'm not sure what you're discussing but I don't think it's checkboxes with multiple states
Apr 8, 2022 4:39 am
The idea was to have boxes with multiple states sort of like ironsworn:
https://i.imgur.com/7nyxbWs.jpg

So in these examples, each box has 5 different states like the ironsworn example but are represented by the 4 internal checkboxes:
https://i.imgur.com/jLM6nuI.jpg
Apr 8, 2022 4:42 am
Just trying to come up with a solution using the functionality we already have, but I'm also open to a new feature that looks nicer and is more user friendly too.
Apr 8, 2022 4:48 am
Okay, I was looking at it on mobile and it looked completely different there so I couldn't figure out what you were doing. On laptop, I can see what you mean.

So you're saying this feature isn't necessary because we can replicate it like this with the means we already have?

I think it works like this for the Ironsworn thing, but it wouldn't be right for Wildsea, for example. So I would not use this solution for it and just stick with an editable field to write something in there. But that's not as pretty 😄
Apr 8, 2022 5:12 am
Wildsea looks like a cool game, I hope I have time to learn and play at some point, but I'm not familiar with the rules. How do multi-state checkboxes work for it? It would be good to have a feature that generalizes beyond Ironsworn.
Apr 8, 2022 5:28 am
Found where it's been brought up before

In Wildsea, Aspects have tracks which have a number of boxes. A box can either be unmarked, marked or burned (usually indicated by one line through it for marked and a cross for burned).

Using your system, I could make a table and have two boxes in each cell and then tick one for marked and both for burned. But I would find it confusing at first glance and not very intuitive for this purpose.

In order to make this more than triphasic, maybe just an increasing number up until a specified max after which it resets to empty? Would not be as pretty as checkmarks and crosses and stuff, but it would be theoretically viable for any max number of phases
Apr 8, 2022 6:44 am
This is actually a good example of why "if, else" would be useful.

For example the charsheet code for one grid box of the table might be:

[_boxes=0/2][_$=if(boxes == 0:◼️, boxes == 1: ✅, else:🔥]

And look like this for the three conditions:
◼️ 🔥

The conditional emojis would clarify the meaning of the different states.
Apr 8, 2022 6:51 am
So at any given time, your aspect table might look like this:
Aspect 1◼️
Aspect 2 🔥
Aspect 3◼️
Aspect 4

But we would need "if, else" functions to be able to do that
Apr 8, 2022 6:54 am
Now we just need to hide the boxes somewhere else in a spoiler tag and it's a pretty neat solution!
Apr 8, 2022 8:15 am
Chalrytharendir says:
So at any given time, your aspect table might look like this:
Aspect 1◼️
Aspect 2 🔥
Aspect 3◼️
Aspect 4

But we would need "if, else" functions to be able to do that
See my comments on if-else. This can be done now.
Apr 8, 2022 11:29 am
These are very different permutations of the same mechanic.

Something more complex than 'multiple checkboxes' would probably require the ability to define the image/emoji to use for each state (this is similar to the talk about user-defined card faces). Something other then a checkbox could then be used, and would rotate through the states on a click.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.