Story telling

Apr 25, 2022 9:11 am
I have seen a story telling with two players on another site can we have this on Gamersplan?
Apr 25, 2022 9:49 am
What do you mean by story telling?
Apr 25, 2022 11:52 am
Certainly we have a number of games where there are two "players" in a game, either one GM and one player, or both with GM rights. Whether you play a RPG system in such a game or just RP back and forth is up to you.
Apr 25, 2022 12:12 pm
I have in mind where someone posts a story idea like "A man wakes up in an unknown wold who is he? or "I am a prisoner in a tower who will rescue me?" and someone will write a story with me
Apr 25, 2022 12:17 pm
This seems similar to what you we're talking about. https://gamersplane.com/forums/thread/23978/
Apr 25, 2022 12:18 pm
You could probably do that using a public game with a thread that is enabled for public posting, or to start a game for people to join and recruit interested parties.
Apr 25, 2022 2:00 pm
KoldikSteelskin says:
This seems similar to what you we're talking about. https://gamersplane.com/forums/thread/23978/
Yes, that was fun. I should do another one.

Stampman49, I am not sure how many rules you want to use in your 'shared storytelling'. Sundered Land, as mentioned above, relies on outside decisions --from other people and from dice-- for how many things go.

But the 'player' is the one who decides when to ask questions (like 'who is he' and 'who will rescue me'); and gets to decide what the question is so 'who will rescue me' heavily implies that someone will, in fact, rescue you, so you have some control. The other people could answer 'no one' but that might be going against the spirit of the game and the question. Or they might answer 'you must rescue yourself', which adds up to much the same thing but is more positive. They should not answer 'you don't get rescued, you have to stay', since --while it could be fun-- that is not the premise of the story you set up.

Sundered Land is designed to be played on a public forum, with most of the questions being asked to anyone who comes along.

If you are wanting something similar, but designed to be played between a smaller, selected group, the authors (the Bakers of Apocalypse World fame) have another set of games where you ask specific friends to join you in telling the story. Take a look at The Wizard's Grimoire. I have not actually played this, since it explicitly says to stop reading at a certain point and going beyond contains spoilers, and I worry that the Volunteers will get spoiled as well, meaning I have not asked anyone to help me play it, as they might not be able to play it themselves afterwards (I don't know, it's a conundrum).

There are also many 'cooperative' or 'GMless' games, if you want something more balanced between all the parties. Ironsworn, and Dream Askew and the many BoB games it spawned come to mind.

Again, though, these have a similar number of rules to any RPG, they are actually RPGs and not 'story games'. The 'Story Games' definition has becomes bury, but you can look into that concept if you are not wanting as much structure as an RPG gives.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.