5. Cold-hearted killer

Auril

Adam

Apr 26, 2022 6:44 am
Targos - 20 Uktar 07:30

The clear sky above you still glows with the fading aurora, but the skies to the east look pregnant with snow. The silent town lies under a thick white blanket. You head to the frozen kennels in the near darkness of the morning. The metal tack of the harnesses bites and sticks to your exposed skin as you check it for the long journey ahead.

Mounting up, you consider your journey east. It's two hours to Bryn-Shander whose gates shall still be closed when you pass, then another six along the Eastway to your destination. But Auril laughs at schedules.
As you round the walls of Bryn-Shander, you start to ride into light snow, and the wind picks up. The flakes dance balletically around you - the Dance of the Sugarplum Blizzard.

Anders prepares you all for the storm by tying you together. Then, after another hour, the snows come roaring in. It's not the cold, nor the stinging snow, nor the ferocious wind that hampers your progress - it's the uniform, directionless, featureless whiteness. If it wasn't for Anders' rope, you could easily believe that you were alone in a white hateful void or a cloud made of icy stinging needles.

Using some perception not available to the rest of you, Anders guides the dogs onwards despite their reluctance. Progress is slow. After nine more hours hiking without any senses (save thermoreception), you break through the storm front into merely crushing snow.
OOC:
The weather is brutal, but the sled can carry people when they get too exhausted.

Can I get a DC12 CON save from everyone except Anders? Failure is a point of exhaustion. Everyone rolls at advantage for the benefit of the sled.
The Eastway - 20 Uktar 18:30

You break north from the path, along the bandit trails that criss-cross the south of Lac Dinneshere.

Ahead, peeking in and out of the white swirling coin-sized flakes, is the crossroads. You see flickering the light of an iron stove burning outside a snow-laden teepee surrounded by crates by the crossing.

A dwarf stands outside the teepee. She is covered in so many furs that she looks like a small, snow-covered teepee herself. She waves and hollers at you, but snow swallows her cries. Three humans fuss around the crates near the teepee. A little distance to the east, a human feeds sled dogs. The humans are all dressed in heavy furs, their faces obscured.

Auril
Apr 26, 2022 2:45 pm
Updating

Rolls

Bells: Constitution save (advantage) - (2d20H1+0)

(15) = 5

Apr 26, 2022 4:22 pm
OOC:
Con save...yoinks
Last edited April 26, 2022 4:22 pm

Rolls

Rayne Torand: Constitution save (advantage) - (2d20H1+4)

(67) + 4 = 11

Apr 26, 2022 4:55 pm
A mere two hour hike to Bryn- Shander proved to be an easy trek. Despite the lack of sleep the night before, the drama of delivering the location of the murderer energized Bells before she and Okto spun into different tales of their night's adventure. Being so early in the morning I wasn't sure it wasn't a waste of time to try gossiping with servants but Okto swore he could smell bread baking. Yes! This guy can be trusted to sniff out any food! Bells pats the green giant on his back, We may not have found out any pertinent information from Mrs. Sanders, the cook, but that bread kept us going so we made it to the boat. I just don't think Mrs. Sanders had in mind Okto when she gave me that loaf because I was eating for two!

Probably to Anders disappointment the stories did not end until the walled town was passed. At one point, Bells turns to Okto, Thanks for watching out for me last night. It's nice having someone who cares.
[ +- ] Bardic Inspiration
OOC:
I don't know if you would be allowed to use the Inspiration on Con save but Bells cast it if @aquafina can.
However, the energy that had sustained the bard was quickly lost as the weather changed. Each step became slow and tedious. No longer was Bells cognizant of any forward momentum when the world looked the same. Apparently, at one point, the bells had ceased but Anders had tucked her into the sled allowing her much needed rest.
Apr 26, 2022 4:59 pm
OOC:
Yes, Bardic Inspiration can be used. That's a perfect use for it.
Apr 26, 2022 6:23 pm
Anders looks behind him to the group, seeing that everyone had made it through for better or worse. Bells and Rayne seemed particularly affected, no surprise there. This wasn't his first blizzard, nor close to his last. Hells, it wasn't their first either. He moves ahead to the strangers at the crossroads. "Ho there, that was a rough one. Lucky to make it through, though a tent would have helped. Have you been here long? We seek two men, one would have passed through here not long ago. Dark, unnecessarily brooding. Thin as a hungry wolf."
Apr 27, 2022 9:08 am
OOC:
I think we're just waiting for @aquafina to make a CON check.
Bells has made a bardic inspiration die available if @Dsquid or @aquafina want to use it.

Torrga Icevein

Adam

Apr 27, 2022 12:45 pm
cowleyc says:
"Ho there, that was a rough one. Lucky to make it through, though a tent would have helped. Have you been here long? We seek two men, one would have passed through here not long ago. Dark, unnecessarily brooding. Thin as a hungry wolf."
The dwarf strolls forwards and calls back. Despite her youth (for a dwarf), her voice is cracked and she tries to lighten it, like an elderly grandmother talking to a child.

"Could be, deary, could be. Torrga sees all sorts out here. Yes, all sorts.

Why don't you poor dears sit by the fire and warm up? Have a nice glass of wine. Wouldn't that be nice, deary? Take a load off and let Torrga have a think about it."

She wears a friendly smile, but her hand nonchalantly taps out a rhythm on the slender battleaxe handle at her hip as her human companions fan out the flanks.

Torrga Icevein
Apr 27, 2022 4:29 pm
Anders stops his advance, seeing the signs that this is not to be a peaceful encounter. The approach of Torrga and her men is not that of a group protecting their wares, but more akin to a predator approaching a weakened prey. And with the way his companions were slouching under the weight of their own furs, perhaps that wasn't too far off.

He clears his throat- hoping that his companions are either paying attention or have their attention drawn by the noise- and draws his bow. Standing his ground, he assumes a readied position with an arrow nocked but facing the ground. "Not sure we need tea when Good Mead is just around the corner. Rather have a thick drink. You say you're name is Torrga? Sounds like just the woman we're looking for. I'd appreciate if you and yours slowed your stride whilst we talk."
OOC:
Anders readies an action to donate some feather fletching to Torrga's furs if she keeps approaching all sketch-like.
OOC:
Don't kill me, Bells! Anders is not one for subtlety.
Apr 27, 2022 5:08 pm
Rayne walks next to Anders as the group ahead of them fans out. "We aren’t looking for trouble here, just want to talk. Be easier that way for you.".

Rayne tries to bluff up their position but they are out numbered and outflanked. Regardless of any type of attempts to intimidate, it’s obvious who has the upper hand here.
OOC:
Getting the bad rolls out of the way now :)
Last edited April 27, 2022 5:11 pm

Rolls

Rayne Torand: Intimidation - (1d20+2)

(3) + 2 = 5

Apr 27, 2022 9:14 pm
Okto can't help but smile at Bells' thanks. This. This is what Okto has been searching for. He blushes, though that involuntary action is invisible in these whiteout conditions, "Oh, it's no problem. It's nice having someone who returns it."

It was a short and sweet interaction, but it's enough to carry Okto through these rough conditions. Not once during their trek does Okto think about the necklace of rabbit feet around his neck, the fish scales and wooden dice in his pockets, or salting the snow over his shoulder. His good luck charms are walking beside him, heading off to find the last one. Though, what kind of luck the last one brings is still up for debate.

Especially now.

When Anders takes out his bow, Okto pulls his shield out in one hand and reaches out to softly touch Bells' shoulder with the other, casting a bit of supportive magic on her for the coming encounter. With his warhammer on his back and both hands in the air, Okto slowly approaches Anders a bit to his side, readying himself to dash in front of his friend if fighting were to begin. He tries his best to keep a friendly demeanor and an amicable look on his face, despite the rising tensions.
OOC:
Casting Guidance on Bells (+1d4 on a check) and readying to dash forward if fighting begins
Last edited April 27, 2022 9:28 pm

Rolls

Okto, the Frozen Tusk: Constitution save (advantage) + bardic - (2d20H1+1d6+2)

(173) + (6) + 2 = 25

Apr 28, 2022 1:27 am
Updating

Rolls

Bells: Deception (disadvantage) - (2d20L1+5)

(612) + 5 = 11

Torrga Icevein

Adam

Apr 28, 2022 10:18 am
Anders notices crossbow bolts peeking out of the humans' fur cloaks. Torrga looks disapprovingly at him. Her eyebrows form a frown, but her mouth is set in a condescending smirk.

"A bow? And Torrga thought we would all be friends." She says it pouting "But you want to talk, dearies? That's nice. Torrga does so enjoy a nice chinwag. What did you want to say, dearies?"
OOC:
Still waiting for Bells' "updating", but I thought I'd fill some dead air.

Torrga Icevein
Apr 28, 2022 2:09 pm
When the sled came to a stop, Bells began to stir. Any lethargy burned off quickly when it started to dawn on her that this could be the murdering pair that had somehow managed to grow in number.... a number, larger than their party. The man was on the far side of camp, looked like the spitting image of that wanted poster that labeled him as a killer. A dangerous situation and then Anders spoke...

What was it about tense situations that suddenly spurred the ranger to start getting chatty? And then to give this Torrga the information that she was one they sought leaving no room to maneuver in that conversation. Well, at least, there was no doubt to the identity but did Anders have to lay all their cards on the table? Did he want her to unroll the wanted poster too? Wait! That was brilliant! That was exactly what they should do!

Having never discussed exactly what the plan of action would be when the party found those supposedly responsible for so many deaths put the party in a bit of an awkward situation. If the pair were guilty then dispatching them would be a service to the Ten Town region but Bells and her Charms didn't really know for themselves. All they had were other's accusations and dead bodies but Anders had pointed to a possible solution.

I take it we lost Darkar and the boys in the storm? They'll be along shortly but for now let's have this chinwag. You see... Bells points at the dwarf, You made what I would call a tactical error. You went after the rich...the daughter of an ex-Speaker. A man of means and influence. Now maybe Eva Holfast was just so convenient that you couldn't resist but...shaking her finger at Torrga, you should have because it will have become your downfall.

Speaking loud and clear to the others closing in. You all have a choice! Look here! See this flyer with the image of that guy right over there? Yes, that's right. A bounty is on his and the dwarf's head but as of now no one else's name is associated with these crimes. You could ride out of here and no one would be the wiser. Or you can stick your neck out leaving it exposed to get cut off. Maybe your thinking the odds look good right now but do you see this poster? More are coming because that's what money buys you. Get out now while you can!
OOC:
My earlier roll of deception was to see if they believe we have backups still coming out of the storm.

Rolls

Bells: Persuasion - (1d20+5)

(17) + 5 = 22

Torrga Icevein

Adam

Apr 28, 2022 2:32 pm
"Oh deary me! Do you hear that, boys? This is Torrga's downfall! What are we to do? Poor Torrga. Poor, poor Torrga.

But first... Mikhail remove your hood, would you deary?"

The human Bells had indicated open his cloak, still training the crossbow on Anders he sweeps his hood back. There's a strong likeness, but it's not Sephek.

"Oh no! How embarrassing, deary! It seems like you're a little confused."

Torrga chuckles. A victorious amused look on her face.

Torrga Icevein

Rolls

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Apr 28, 2022 3:25 pm
As Mikhail reveals himself to be someone akin to the killer but not the same man, Anders grins a grim grin. "That makes this easier, boys. The lot of you can head out, and leave us poor Torrga here. No harm, no foul. Or, I can handle this as I would aboard the Dark Duchess, if a motley crew stood in the way of my prize." He takes a single step forward, eyes looking into each bodyguard in turn.
OOC:
Using my inspiration for advantage, but also maybe my background feature?

Rolls

Anders the Frostburnt: Intimidation (advantage) - (2d20H1-1)

(413) - 1 = 12

Torrga Icevein

Adam

Apr 28, 2022 3:41 pm
https://i.imgur.com/OmLo1AN.png"Oh deary." Torrga pouts "Torrga had hoped we'd be friends.

And you don't want to play with Torrga. But look! Your pretty has found a playmate."

Torrga shouts behind you "Haven't you, deary?"

Behind you, Bells is held aloft by the garrote strangling her. Her legs twitch and jerk as the killer whispers in her ear.

Ice is forming on Bells' neck and face, as the frostkind leaches the warmth from her.

"Torrga has a better idea. Drop your weapons and your gold, and Torrga will let you run away to Easthaven."

She lifts her hand momentarily from her battleaxe to make a running gesture with her gloved fingers. Her smile is broad and cruel.

"Torrga crosses her heart and pinkie promises. But decide now, dearies. Before your pretty becomes quite, quite blue.

Weapons. Down. Now."
OOC:
We might need initiative here.
As one, the bandits shrug off their cloaks, step forward, and level their crossbows at Anders, daring him to twitch.
OOC:
Your actions.

Torrga Icevein

Rolls

Bells: Initiative - (1d20+2)

(16) + 2 = 18

Rayne Torand: Initiative - (1d20+2)

(11) + 2 = 13

Okto, the Frozen Tusk: Initiative - (1d20+0)

(13) = 13

Anders the Frostburnt: Initiative - (1d20+3)

(6) + 3 = 9

Bandits - (1d20+3)

(18) + 3 = 21

Apr 28, 2022 4:50 pm
One moment Bells was standing there full of righteous indignation feeling pretty confident in her ability to balance the scales back to their favor when a thin wire cut into her neck. The bard reflexively screamed out but no sound emerged which horrified Bells even more. Never had the bard ever considered going silently into the night. Now creepy endearments like a parent soothing a child urged her to pass to the other side. Bells had no intention on obliging! Her companions needed to know it was time to act.

Sephek may have stolen her voice but not her jingle! All her party had wondered making comments on how the sound of trouble bells sounded. Bells, now gave a demonstration of the cacophony of sound she could produce when in distress as her legs kicked and failed about.

As both breath and heat escape the oh so fragile body, Bells struggles for life.

Rolls

Bells: Acrobatics (disadvantage) - (2d20L1+4)

(1618) + 4 = 20

Guidance - (1d4)

(4) = 4

Apr 28, 2022 5:01 pm
OOC:
@aquafina! That guidance spell was providential to allowing Bells to break free! Now let's kick butt everyone!

Torrga Icevein

Adam

Apr 28, 2022 5:22 pm
OOC:
A slight retcon, thanks to clever CW.

Damn! Those annoying stealth-destroying bells turned out to be a clever plot point, couple that with Bells' amazing acrobatics roll... How could I resist?!
Torrga is overconfident.

How could Torrga know that Bells' bells weren't just an annoying jingle? They were a carefully orchestrated symphony whose language our heroes were beginning to understand.

♫ Danger bells ♫

♫ Wait for it....♫

The bandits approach. Too eager. Too relaxed. Too cock-sure.

Bells pirouettes from garotte with a dancer's grace. Her throat is still frozen and raw, but her urgent tinkling leaves no doubt of her intentions.

♫ NOW! ♫
OOC:
Anders, Okto and Rayne to act.

Bells' cleverness has nullified their reaction.

Torrga Icevein
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.