Frequently Asked Questions

May 31, 2022 10:02 pm
Q: My story involves names copyrighted by the publisher. Can I still submit the story?

This is something that we are reviewing. Write the story you want, and know that we won't reject a story simply for those copyrighted words. If the legalities of fair usage or fan usage remain unclear after our investigation, we might request that you find/replace troublesome names with something unique.

Edit: Copyright issues are too large a fight for us to take on. As such, please make sure that your story does not use terms that are likely copyrighted. These would include mainly proper names of places, characters, and creatures unique to a single Intellectual Property.
Jun 1, 2022 6:29 pm
Q: English isn't my strongest language. Will that be a barrier to acceptance?

When we envisioned taking this project to GP, we knew that there would be talented writers globally who might feel this way. We aim to provide a professional level of editing * to accepted submissions to help you make your story the strongest it can be, from a story construction point of view, to grammar and spelling.

We cannot edit an empty page.

* Editing will be provided as suggestions for authors to review and accept, rather than just making arbitrary changes to your manuscript.
Jun 5, 2022 3:25 pm
Q: You've asked for complete stories. What is your expectations for a story?

A story is a tricky concept, but we all know the rules to some extent or another. A story is a narrative description of an event, and contains the elements: character, setting, plot, conflict, and resolution. There is an inciting incident that challenges the main character, a struggle with some obstacle, and then the climax and resolution.

A strong story will have elements of tension and change that keep the reader engaged. Our goal will be to work with the accepted authors on their submissions to make their stories as strong as we can.
Jun 8, 2022 2:25 pm
Q: What are the plans for publication?

The finished anthology will be published on Amazon and other online print-on-demand retailers, in paperback and ebook format.
Jun 8, 2022 2:25 pm
Q: Who will own the stories?

We'll ask authors to sign a simple contract giving the anthology non-exclusive worldwide Anthology Rights in perpetuity including reprints of this anthology but not for any other works or anthologies we might produce.

Not withstanding the non-exclusivity above, the author will agree not to publish the work elsewhere for the first six months following the publishing of this anthology.
Jun 11, 2022 5:13 pm
Q: Do you have any advice on how to make my writing stronger?

There has been concern from possible submitters that the quality of writing won't be strong, either because of lack of experience in writing, or language barriers. Here are some tips and tricks to better edit and improve the quality of your story.

-Every sentence can be cut down. Avoid wordiness.

-Eliminate Passive Language. Remove phrases such as 'to be', 'will be', 'was done.' Example: "The orc was killed by Samuel." Instead, use "Samuel killed the orc." This is one I personally struggle with in my own writing.

Every sentence should contribute to the story. Example: "The sword lay on table and, like everything else in the knight's cottage, it was coated in several months worth of dust." This one sentence contains plot and character.

Nothing ever 'is' or 'was'. Look for better verbs whenever you can. Example: "She was skinny and her dress was brown." Instead use "A brown dress draped her thin frame."

Avoid repetition. Watch for using the same word multiple times in a sentence or paragraph, and look for similar ones to replace them.

Search (Control F) 'of' and 'that'. This will help tighten sentences. Example: "John said that it was Jane's birthday." Instead use "John said it was Jane's birthday.

Embrace shorter sentences. The shorter the sentence, the better you keep your reader's attention. That said, there should also be variety. Short sentences are good for action and quick pacing, whereas longer sentences slow down the story, giving the reader a chance to pause.

Avoid word ambiguity. Example: "It could get hot." Instead try "It could become hot." Also watch for redundant words, such as 'rose up,' fell down.'

Destroy your adverbs. Search for descriptors ending in 'ly' and change them. This is the strongest place to show, rather than tell the reader what's happening. Example: "Walked quickly" Instead try "ran, jogged, or skipped."
Second example: "'I hate wizards,' he said angrily." Instead try "His eyebrows furrowed and he thumped his fist on the table. 'I hate wizards.'"

Eliminate dialogue tags. Use them sparingly and provide more information to the reader at the same time. Example: "'I'll let you know tomorrow,' said Samantha." Instead try "Samantha drained her cup and set it down. She looked up at Michael. 'I'll let you know tomorrow.'"

Avoid words ending in'-ing'. These are generally used in passive language.

Watch for subject/verb confusion. Example: "The dog brushed her bicycle and it fell over." What fell over, the dog or the bike? Instead try "The dog brushed her bicycle, knocking it over."

Avoid 'suddenly, unexpectedly, then she...'

Now the most important part.

After going through these editing tips, (congratulations if you managed to stick with me this far), go back and have the computer read your story out loud to you as you follow along. This will let you hear what sentences sound clunky, catch repetition you might not have noticed, and clean up punctuation. It also helps with misplaced words and spelling errors. Sometimes I forget to put in a word such as 'and' or 'of' in a sentence, and this helps catch those errors.

Let us know if you have any further questions, and I hope this helps.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.