Ask Me Anything: Naatkinson

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Naatkinson

bowlofspinach

Jun 3, 2022 4:18 am
In an attempt to get to know the community and other users on GP better, we want to allow a different member each week to step into the spotlight.
You can find more information here.
About me:

Name: naatkinson
RPG Interests: My experience is mainly in d20 systems, but I've branched out a lot on GP, having playing Skyrealms of Jorune, Savage Worlds, Lasers and Feelings, etc. I've also started messing with fanmade Pokemon tabletop games and running a one-on-one game for my friend in Pokemon Tabletop United.
Non RPG Interests: I generally play video games or spend time with my kids when I've got them. I like to wander about in nature, but I've gotten pretty out of shape, so it's not as easy as it used to be!

This AMA will run until 10 June 2022.
Naatkinson
Jun 3, 2022 5:50 am
1. What is one change you'd make to any game?
2. What is your favorite mechanic from a game?
3. What culture's food is your favorite?
Jun 3, 2022 6:17 am
How do you manage to run so many games?!
Jun 3, 2022 9:35 am
Skyrealms of Jorune! You are probably the first person I hear that played that. Ever.

I was always attracted by the stunning art of that game... but put off by all the MANY arcane names one seemed to need to learn for a deep dive into the alien culture. Feels like you'd need a Jorunian dictionary on the gaming table.

Did you run the setting with its original ruleset?

Was the alien terminology ever a problem, for the GM or the players?
Jun 3, 2022 4:19 pm
nezzeraj says:
1. What is one change you'd make to any game?
2. What is your favorite mechanic from a game?
3. What culture's food is your favorite?
1. I'd make D&D 5e allow for more customization of characters.
2. Favorite mechanic is a REALLY tough one... I would go with the character creation style of Cypher System games. I really enjoy the three part construction of your character.
3. I know it's not really Chinese, but I love the crap food you eat at a Chinese buffet here in the US.
annex says:
How do you manage to run so many games?!
2 cups of panic, a pinch of drowning under the pressure, and 6 gallons of being woefully unprepared. To be real, I had NO other hobbies for a while and was able to post 8 hours a day at work. That has ended, so I'm running like half of the games I used to.
Dr_B says:
Skyrealms of Jorune! You are probably the first person I hear that played that. Ever.

I was always attracted by the stunning art of that game... but put off by all the MANY arcane names one seemed to need to learn for a deep dive into the alien culture. Feels like you'd need a Jorunian dictionary on the gaming table.

Did you run the setting with its original ruleset?

Was the alien terminology ever a problem, for the GM or the players?
It was super fun, though the game ended too early. It was here on GP and I don't remember having much trouble with any of the stuff. The GM was super good about making sure we knew everything we could possibly need for any given scene.

And yes, we did use the original rules as far as I know. It was super old.
Jun 4, 2022 2:28 am
What video games, excluding Pokemon, do you borrow material from most often?
Jun 4, 2022 11:03 am
@Naatkinson & @Dr_B I found that old Skyrealms of Jorune game! 😀
Jun 4, 2022 1:55 pm
Thanks! Will have a read
Jun 4, 2022 1:56 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Agree that spaceseeker did a great job keeping us in the setting.

Naatkinson, if your friends and family went with you, what would be a place in the world you'd like to live in for awhile?
Jun 5, 2022 10:46 am
Qralloq says:
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Agree that spaceseeker did a great job keeping us in the setting.

Naatkinson, if your friends and family went with you, what would be a place in the world you'd like to live in for awhile?
It's going to be a super boring answer because I'm a super boring person, but I think I'd like to go to New Mexico for a while. My best friend and his family moved down there back when we were in high school and they were basically another set of parents to me.
Jun 6, 2022 2:13 pm
What do movies and television get wrong about your job/career?
If you could send any media back through time to your 10-year-old self, (book, movie, album etc) what would it be?
What is your favorite fictional animal?
What is your favorite movie the John Williams scored and Steven Spielberg directed?
Jun 9, 2022 3:28 pm
crazybirdman says:
What do movies and television get wrong about your job/career?
I work in the IT industry. The better question is what DON'T they get wrong? 🤣
crazybirdman says:
If you could send any media back through time to your 10-year-old self, (book, movie, album etc) what would it be?
Let's go with a documentary about Bitcoin.
crazybirdman says:
What is your favorite fictional animal?
Griffins for sure. The paladins of mythological creatures. Love me some paladins
crazybirdman says:
What is your favorite movie the John Williams scored and Steven Spielberg directed?
I'm going to go with Jurassic Park. I LOVED that movie when I was a kid!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.