Chapter 15 - The Competition

Jun 6, 2022 9:22 pm
Gulf Haven Public Library - 4pm

https://i.imgur.com/9LlKyoJ.png

The No Dogs Allowed sign on the door, that Alana had never noticed before, means she had to leave Ripper outside, with her leash attached to the metal bars where people leave their bikes. Luckily for Ripper, there is a very friendly basset-hound tied to the same pole, to keep her company.

The trio burst in eager to get their hands on some map, and almost bump into Yvonne, who is carrying a pile of books. One falls from the top of her pile.

Yvonne, GH Librarian
"Whoa whoa whoa! easy tigers!" she says. Then she realizes it's Al and Johnny, with another kid she doesn't know. "Oh it's you. But... your shift's tomorrow, right?"
Jun 7, 2022 4:47 am
If it weren't for the nice older dog keeping her company, Al would never leave Ripper outside by herself. But after petting the other dog and reassuring herself that he is friendly, Al feels good about letting Ripper play with him a bit.

"We need a map of Gulf Haven!", Al says to Yvonne in place of an answer. "The biggest one you have. With all the bridges. Especially the green ones!"
Jun 7, 2022 5:33 am
Logan stands there as Al talks to the librarian. Isn't the water supposed to be green, not the bridge? Logan asks as he watches the librarian leave.
Jun 7, 2022 12:32 pm
Yvonne, GH Librarian
"Right... maps. You want to check the Reference shelves, over there. There is a Local Interest section in there, we have a few." she points at a specific area in the Library. "Most large maps cannot leave the premises, though."

Yvonne smiles as the Hunters rush to the Reference section, then collects her book, puts it back on the pile and carries on what she was doing.
OOC:
she was hoping for a little chivalry there, but... nothing :D
GM
Soon the Hunters have found a few large scale city maps of Gulf Haven, have spread them on a table and are squinting their eyes to look at bridges , rivers and canals.

https://i.imgur.com/HL0OrxB.jpg
OOC:
So, the Gulf Haven maps are easy to find.
What is trickier is looking for all the bridges and figuring out how they could connect to the clue.
For that, let's have a Research roll for each of the Hunters please
Jun 7, 2022 12:44 pm
OOC:
Al is brilliant at research. Unless she gets bored and falls asleep first

Rolls

Unskilled - (1d4-2, 1d6-2, RA)

1d4-2 : (3) - 2 = 1

1d6-2 : (3) - 2 = 1

Jun 7, 2022 3:10 pm
Are you looking at the right maps,Alana? Johnny asks as he looked over her shoulder. I think that Gulf Haven isn't even in Alabama... It wasn't like he could do much better... The only time he'd ever really looked at a map was in school and he hadn't paid a while I lot of attention then. Despite that, he leaned over the confusing jumble of tiny print and squiggly lines to see if he could find anything that might help them.
We could ask Ms. Yvonne and see if she knows anything that might help us look for a bridge over green waters.

Rolls

Research - (1d4, 1d6, RA)

1d4 : (1) = 1

1d6 : (1) = 1

Jun 7, 2022 5:51 pm
Logan looks over the maps as they crowd around the table. He does his best to make a thorough check on each map.
OOC:
I'll use a benny and try again.
Last edited June 7, 2022 5:52 pm

Rolls

1d4 : (1) = 1

1d6 : (2) = 2

1d4 : (2) = 2

1d6 : (2) = 2

Jun 7, 2022 5:56 pm
OOC:
We're the best mapreaders in the world!
Jun 7, 2022 6:17 pm
OOC:
oh boy...
Johnny struggles with a very large map, folding it and unfolding it to check one sector or the other... the map is quite worn, and suddenly you hear a mighty RIIIIIIIIIIP! sound. The map has ripped neatly along one of the folds.

Yvonne just happens to walk by their table as this happens.

Yvonne, GH Librarian
"Careful Johnny!" she says sharply, stepping closer to the table to assess the damage. "Some of these are quite old, you know? You need to handle them with care..." she looks annoyed.

She takes in the many maps scattered all over the table. "What is this mess?... What is it you guys are looking for, anyway?"

OOC:
anyone but Johnny can use Bennies on this
Jun 7, 2022 6:32 pm
"We're looking for a green bridge. Or a bridge over green water. Or a green bridge over green water," Al says. "It's for a riddle."
Jun 7, 2022 8:42 pm
Johnny hisses as the delicate old paper tears loudly instead of folding like he wanted it to. Aii. I'm sorry. I didn't think it would do that... He delicately laid the map back down before he did any more damage to it. Tape will fix it, right? he wished aloud.
Jun 7, 2022 9:25 pm
Any map that shows the bridges, rivers, canals and such would be great. Logan says as the librarian asks if they needed help.

Glancing over at his friends, Logan states the obvious. This is harder than it looks.

Yvonne, GH Librarian

Dr_B

Jun 8, 2022 6:30 am
Yvonne, GH Librarian
Yvonne sits down at your table, sighing. "Let me have a look at your green bridge, before you guys destroy all the Reference section."

She carefully folds Johnny's torn map for later restauration, then takes another large scale map and starts following the waterways with her finger.

Rolls

Research - (1d6+2, RA)

(63) + 2 = 11

Yvonne, GH Librarian

Dr_B

Jun 8, 2022 6:53 am
Yvonne, GH Librarian
You watch the Librarian at work. She is focused and efficient.
She unfolds a current map to cross reference, and each bridge she finds on an old map, she double checks on the new. Soon she has excluded quite a few of the better known bridges. "No. This is on a freeway... this one doesn't exist anymore. This... could it be? Nah... on the Union Canal. Nothing green about that..."

Eventually she homes in on a small stream, not even a river, shown in the oldest of the maps. You see her frown and triple check on the two maps.
"There's a bridge in this green space that... yes, it still exists. Look:"

https://i.imgur.com/MJevyEm.png

"The green space is no more than a block North of a retail park, now but the bridge is still there it seems. It crosses a small river called Emerald Creek." She looks at you. "I think that could be your green water, you know?"
Jun 8, 2022 6:55 am
Al already jumped up from her chair and is halfway to running to the door as she shouts: "Thanks!"
Jun 8, 2022 7:01 am
Al quickly scribbles the position of the bridge on her pocket map.
[ +- ] Updated Map
Jun 8, 2022 7:17 am
Logan grins as he follows Al out of the library. Told you it was a good idea to see Eddard. He sent us here and is researching the strange gut for us.

Picking up his borrowed skateboard, Logan is soon following the map as they head for the bridge.
Jun 8, 2022 12:49 pm
the Hunters ride fast to where the bridge should be, thrilled by the promise of a new clue. Ripper enjoys the wind on her face and barks enthusiastically, making a few bystanders jolt.

They reach the grassy area wedged in between stores and the back of houses.

There is a small stream, whose waters are not very green, for something called Emerald Creek. They follow it and there, behind a group of trees, they come in sight of an old wooden covered bridge.

https://i.imgur.com/Dm0ANQ1.png
Is this where one can be 'walking on green waters'?
Jun 8, 2022 12:56 pm
Al immediately walks through the water underneath the bridge, trying to see if something is atatched to the bottom of it.
Jun 8, 2022 1:02 pm
OOC:
cool - tell me where the other characters search too, and let's have some Notice rolls please
load next

Thread locked