Ask Me Anything: KingHotTrash

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

KingHotTrash

bowlofspinach

Jun 20, 2022 11:49 am
In an attempt to get to know the community and other users on GP better, we want to allow a different member each week to step into the spotlight.
You can find more information here.
About me:

Name: KingHotTrash
RPG Interests: As I mentioned in my introduction, I've played a lot of different systems and am always open to trying out even more obscure ones to get out there. I've played a lot of White Wolf games (Vampire, Exalted, & Werewolf), D&D 3.5 and upwards, tons of Savage Worlds, some PbtA, some Shadowrun & Cyberpunk, Dark Heresy, Deathwatch, Ten Candles, and more that I've probably forgotten. If I was to pick my favorites, I would have to say Blades in the Dark, Deadlands (Reloaded or Classic), Exalted, V:tM 5th Edition, and Pathfinder 1E.
Non RPG Interests: Video gaming, Taking care of my animals, Dating (I am polyamorous), Bitching about current events, Board games, Cooking, Exercise?

This AMA will run until 27 June 2022.
KingHotTrash
Jun 20, 2022 1:23 pm
Would you ever play dnd 5e and if so what type of character would you play as first?

Just curious. Welcome to Gamersplane and have an awesome day.

Amber 😁
Jun 20, 2022 1:38 pm
Hey kingHotTrash. You don't live too far from me.

There is a growing contingent of Savage World's love here at the Plane. I am particularly fond of Deadlands also and have been running The Flood campaign since October.

What kind of exercise do you engage in? You are right there near the Catskills. What about your Favorite music? Who do you fancy?
Jun 20, 2022 2:21 pm
@Amberthegirlgeekgamer87 - I have played 5th edition D&D and for the most part, I enjoy it. I find that characters can be a bit samey if you play it a lot so I try not to. My first character that I played was a Archfey Warlock; he was charged with freeing Queen Mab from the dark crystal she was imprisoned in and if he did, she'd marry him. He saw everything he could be, what his life would be, and dedicated himself to her. A CG fool married to a NE fey. It was going to be exquisite.

@Windyridge - I took the from literally, I am from Kingston NY but I haven't lived there since I was 18 years old. I moved across the country to live with my mother in Phoenix AZ and then moved to San Antonio to live with my girlfriend and her family after about 10 years in Phoenix. Best decision of my life.

For exercise, I have definitely let myself go during the pandemic. Working from home at a sedentary job with such convenient BBQ places all around was a bad combo so I'm just starting off to build good habits; short walks combined with calorie counting. I'd love to get a bike though because there is a beautiful park right near my home that I could go biking in. It would bring me joy.

I can't believe I forgot to talk about music! I was super tired last night after helping my girlfriend get a big and awesome day for her hubby figured out. Sharing music is practically one of my love languages and I can share songs and bands all day. For genres of music, I try to keep an open mind for everything but I have a hard time connecting with the more mainstream country and hip hop/rap. The former because it kind of sounds very samey to me and the latter because I was exposed to it very late in life so I'm tentatively getting my feet wet there.

My favorite bands that I enjoy listening to would be Thrice, Rise Against, Shayfer James, Will Wood & The Tapeworms, and System of a Down. My current big listens have been Amigo the Devil and Sleep Token. I'm hoping to see Amigo up in Austin this August.

I'm assuming that who I fancy means what do I look for in a person? If so, the most attractive quality that someone can have is an attraction to me. ;)

Outside of that, I look for similar tastes. The venn diagram for polyamorous people and tabletop gaming strangely seems to resemble just a circle, I've found.

Savage Worlds was really the system that I grinded my teeth on as I learned how to DM and it was actually The Flood that I was running too! I had problems keeping the campaign going after the first visit to Shan Fan but I think, if I was to return to it, it would be better. Getting the chance to roleplay Hellstrome and Captain Roderick Pennington Smythe are my favorite bits, personally.
Jun 20, 2022 2:23 pm
Your preferences in games appears to run towards content that is more horror-oriented. How would you tell a horror story in a ttrpg in face to face setting, as opposed to PbP, a slower text-heavy environment?

Also, on the horror theme, do you like horror settings, i.e. Ravenloft, or do you prefer core games that have been built out to incorporate horror elements in the rules?

What game would love you get going as a longer campaign on GP?
Jun 20, 2022 2:34 pm
@Phil_Ozzy_Fer - For me, it is really about getting everyone to buy in to the premise and the horror. It can't always be dour and dark, players can't help but make bad jokes here and there, but playing it as serious as possible and challenging them to play it as serious as possible can have massive effects.

Ten Candles has amazing atmosphere and the idea that everyone dies in the end but we play to see what kind of people they are at the end of the it all. The mechanics of playing in the dark, burning your resources (literally), and how the storyteller slowly but surely gains narrative control as the tale goes on so they can guide you towards your inevitable end is just masterfully done. I've had newbie players weep in intense, emotional roleplays, sacrifices and betrayals, and it has just been the best. I run a game or two each year for folks.

Sorry, I rambled (I do that a lot) but I hope that answered your question?

I love both horror settings and games built to incorporate horror elements in it equally. They're like different versions of cake for me. I tend to find I make my most enjoyable characters in these awful, oppressive settings and themes. There is something enjoyable about trying to be the good guy even amidst the worst horror; maybe I hope that I'd be somewhere close to that in such a terrible place.

I would fight a series of bears to actually get to be in a long-term, long-lasting Exalted 3rd Edition game. I love the high-power, anime-like style and power level of the game and the roleplay that comes with "Alright, you're now a god-king of creation. What do you do?".
Jun 20, 2022 2:53 pm
Phil_Ozzy_Fer says:
Your preferences in games appears to run towards content that is more horror-oriented. How would you tell a horror story in a ttrpg in face to face setting, as opposed to PbP, a slower text-heavy environment?
oh! and in PbP as well. For no particular reason ;)
Jun 20, 2022 3:31 pm
Quote:
Taking care of my animals
Pretty sure it's illegal to mention something like this without elaborating and maybe even showing photos.
Have you seen any good representation of polyamory in media? If so, where? I can't think of anything at the top of my head at least.
Jun 20, 2022 4:16 pm
@CESN - At the risk of hurting myself, I would say that it comes with engaging as many of the senses as possible to create an atmosphere that builds dread. We all know that behind the door that creaked open, a pale and ominous green glow creeping through the cracks along with the dissonant whispering that burns in our ears, is a bad idea...but forward we must go.

@bowlofspinach - My house is quite full of animals. My girlfriend, her hubby, and her boyfriend have four dogs in total; an old puppy, two middle-aged puppies, and a young puppy. I take care of the cats; Odin and Blackstar.

Both of them are black cats, Odin being a Bombay while Blackstar is a Domestic Shorthair. We were worried they wouldn't get along at first but they became fast friends after a week. Odin is named that because he has one eye. Blackstar is an asshole. I love them both. I'm certain that without Odin (Blackstar is my girlfriend's cat), I don't think I'd be here. I can honestly say that he has saved my life.

I actually know really little media that has polyamorous relationships within them, to be honest. The show Polyamory has some problems, from what I've heard, but I can't remember them off the top of my mind. I think it had to deal with the fact that is focuses a lot on poly couples with strict rulings about themselves. I have heard decent things about Sirens though!

I am certain that there are a slew of good books, both fictional and non-fictional, that have better representation. TV Media is only just beginning to show us as not sex-addicted swingers, thankfully.

Also...cats!

https://i.imgur.com/MFNaI6e.jpg
Jun 20, 2022 4:57 pm
They're super cute 💖
Jun 20, 2022 6:36 pm
Sense8 had some of that. It had some of EVERY kind of relationship. I can't say how good or realistic.

May I ask about the "practical" aspects of pooliamory? Getting a mortgage with a non-traditional family structure, having houses close to not 2 but 4 or more job locations... are there struggles that people don't think about?
Jun 20, 2022 7:01 pm
@Aironfabio - A big thing is that there is a close, family unit to depend on as long as everyone is trusting and communication is good. No polycule is exactly the same, there isn't a standard fit at all. In my experience, it is kind of like having really trusted roommates. My metas (the people dating the people I date but I'm not dating them) are all good guys and I trust them implicitly. Justin and Kit are married and since we're not violating any law, the mortgage doesn't need to know our situation explicitly. Truthfully though, we're renting a place at the moment so that hasn't really come up yet.

There are definitely bumps here and there; you need to look for things nearby and you're looking at bigger houses. San Antonio did not have much in the way of five bedroom houses that weren't in freshly developed places far away from our current jobs. Luckily, the work from home movement has actually really eased this part of the lifestyle. We're all involved in raising a little three year old girl and so there is a lot of talking about what is acceptable, what isn't, and so on. The best thing is that each person brings something to the table that no one else does; I'm really good at relationship counseling and communication breakdown so I help deescalate conflicts and get everyone back to calmer heads frequently.

A big thing is the fridge. There is never enough goddamn room in the fridge.
Jun 20, 2022 7:05 pm
KingHotTrash says:

A big thing is the fridge. There is never enough goddamn room in the fridge.
This is a universal problem in every household everywhere. 😁
Jun 20, 2022 7:07 pm
Cooperative or competitive boardgames?
Jun 20, 2022 7:22 pm
Are you the same KingHotTrash that is found on the Paizo boards?

What is your favorite RPG genre?

Pre-written versus homemade: do you prefer pre-written adventures or those you make yourself? And why?
Jun 20, 2022 7:58 pm
@bowlofspinach - I tend to like cooperative board games more than competitive boardgames EXCEPT for social deduction games. Maybe I'm a terrible person but I love lying and tricking folks in those games or outsmarting others in it.

@WhtKnt - I am the one and the same! I was brought here for a friend's game and I really liked this whole setup here.

My favorite RPG Genre? That's like picking my favorite child. As a player, I really do enjoy epic fantasy. Give me big powers and big moving and shaking throughout the setting. It is why Exalted 3rd Edition is so beloved by me.

As a DM, I enjoy making my players suffer. Horror/Dark settings are my favorite to run for people.

EDIT: Totally missed that last question! I am a pre-made adventure guy most of the time because...I am lazy. I like having a main goal that allows me to build off of it and add my own twists and turns to it. However, I adore running Blades in the Dark and that game actively makes you improv basically everything. I need to try running other games again soon so I can apply what I learned from it to other games.
Last edited June 20, 2022 8:07 pm
Jun 21, 2022 12:25 pm
You love to play Exalted, would you be interested in running it? I played it way back in first edition, and loved the setting.
Jun 21, 2022 2:47 pm
@JoshuaMabry - In a play by post setting? Probably not. Maybe if I got my hands on the "rules-lite" version of it that came out I may be tempted. In person though? Absolutely. I ran it once and I had an amazing time seeing the shenanigans that occurred. I only feel like I would do better with more experience under my belt and more resources to draw upon.
Jun 22, 2022 5:45 am
Got any guilty pleasure movies you have watched/keep watching?
Jun 22, 2022 9:56 pm
@Antiproduct - Guilty pleasure movies? I honestly have very few of them that I can think of. I do love old, cheesy horror movies. The Flying Mantis, Them!, the original The Thing, and my favorite being The Crawling Eye. I suppose those are my guilty pleasures.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.