[Interest Check] Star Trek: The Original Series

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jun 22, 2022 5:33 pm
Doing a quick interest check for a PbP campaign that would potentially start in about a month. Let me know your thoughts!

https://dicehaven.com/wp-content/uploads/the_saladin_returns__too_by_thefirstfleet-d9k8cit-768x432.jpg

"The Saladin Returns" by TheFirstFleet

Setting: Star Trek: The Original Series.

Story Background: The Magna Oscura Nebula is believed to be a drifting ‘cryptic matter’ nebula, a substance hitherto unencountered. It is rumored that whatever enters the nebula emerges fundamentally changed. After drifting through the Tholian sector, it has now reached the contested Taurus Reach. Starfleet Command had been waiting patiently for the Magna Oscura Nebula to travel outside of restricted space for further study. A nebula moving at significant fractions of lightspeed that seems to be consuming anything in its path is a significant scientific find. The crew of a single-nacelle Saladin class Federation starship is sent to investigate. What will it cost the crew to uncover the secrets of the mysterious Magna Oscura Nebula?

Tone: Emulating the family-friendly, pulp action adventure of 1960’s Star Trek on prime time television (e.g. no cursing, no graphic violence, and romantic scenes, if any, would fade to black).

Visibility: Game will be private.

RPG Rules: Federation 24XX, my own version of the free, one page 24XX rpg rules customized for Star Trek style adventuring. You can get them here: https://roguecomet.itch.io/federation-24xx (I’ll update the rules before the game).

Special Rule — Bonds: Up to once a week you can do a 100-500 word 'log' entry that details a flashback that will create or increase your character’s bond die with another crewmember. Get the other person's permission and work through private messaging to co-create an agreeable flashback that builds your relationship and backstory (for good or for bad; rivalries are relationships too!).

Posting Frequency: A minimum of 1 and a maximum of 2 times each weekday, mostly idle on the weekends, just let the group know if you need to be absent some days or weeks.

Game Duration: The first adventure will be 3-4 months. After each adventure arc we will check interest in continuing.

Crew Chain-of-Command: This is up for discussion, but I am thinking we have the ship's captain be a Picard-style NPC who always stays on the ship, and PCs are the ones who go on away missions. Leadership is pretty informal in an away team dynamic.

Co-GMs: I have had really good luck in switching GMs occasionally in a shared campaign. This helps prevent GM burnout. If you have potential interest, let me know! I will GM the first story arc and then I’d be open to being a player for a while while another GM runs an arc, then I could return as GM at a later time.

Inclusivity: I am looking for players who are tolerant of differences both in and out of game, and who appreciate that their words (however chosen) can impact the wellness of other people. If you have any specific boundaries on what you’d like to experience in the game, please message me privately and we can discuss. We can also discuss in the OOC thread once a game begins. :-)

How to Apply: Comment below! If the game makes I will choose 4-5 players and ideally at least one new to the Gamersplane forum. :-)
Last edited June 22, 2022 5:36 pm
Jun 22, 2022 6:31 pm
If you're talking about firing it up in late July, I'd raise my hand for sure. TOS is Star Trek for me. So good.
Jun 23, 2022 1:37 am
Damn if I don’t have enough going on. But I would like to talk to you about an ST Sim idea I’ve had for some time.
Jun 23, 2022 2:52 pm
End of July is very good for me. If you need a body, I am interested. That's the Star Trek I know and love and I like the 24XX too!
Jun 23, 2022 6:23 pm
I’m not very familiar with Star Trek, however I’m very interested. I’m new to this forum.
Last edited June 23, 2022 6:24 pm
Jun 23, 2022 7:53 pm
Awesome idea! I'd love to play because I love Star Trek but currently I'm quite occupied with the games I'm playing/running.

Nevertheless I can fully endorse Dreamweaver as he is a very engaged and cool player in one of my games ^^
Jun 23, 2022 8:31 pm
Scrol says:

Nevertheless I can fully endorse Dreamweaver as he is a very engaged and cool player in one of my games ^^
Thanks for the kind words Scrol! :-)
Jun 24, 2022 2:07 pm
I watch only one-star trek movie (a new one). love the idea of having our own spaceship and co-operating it. Right now I'm super enjoying this genre because playing the mass effect trilogy now. I can be GM if need but need to see how the system work first finger cross
Jun 25, 2022 12:28 am
I have to say this, and it is one of the reasons why I am throwing my hat into the ring because I want to back my beliefs.

Star Trek is the closest thing I have to an organized religion. Star Trek was my baby-sitter, my comfort food, my only friend through all- hard times- whether TOS or TNG. Love it all.

I think I have a responsibility to play this game, I don't care if I am a mindless red-shirt in the lower decks of the ship. Ill be anything, just call on me and have the captain point the way.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.