Dungeon Crawl Classics

Jun 29, 2016 1:33 pm
Has anyone played this game? I've been reading the core book a bit here and there lately and it looks like an absolute blast. Very reminiscent of old school D&D with some more modern takes on some aspects.

Just curious if anyone else had given it a chance yet?
Jun 29, 2016 9:35 pm
I heard great thing about it but haven't given it a look. Sounds like characters die a lot (don't you make five when you start playing, and the one that survives gets to move on to 1st level?)
Jun 29, 2016 9:54 pm
Yeah, they use a funnel system for character creation.

1. Old school rolling stats (3d6 in order)
2. Create 3-5 level ZERO characters
3. Run them through a mini-dungeon
4. Everyone who survives advances to level one
Jun 29, 2016 9:58 pm
I read the entire core book today (with the exception of the specific spells)

The classes are all very flavorful and distinct (elf, dwarf, and halfling are classes as well as races)

There's a cool luck stat that gets added to critical hit tables, subtracted from critical fumble tables, as well as added to a random thing determined at start (Could be melee attack rolls, all damage rolls, spell rolls: There are thirty different things that it can be added to.
Jun 29, 2016 10:00 pm
I've been poking around for details. Any place one could buy the book for under $70? (which is the cheapest I've seen)
Jun 29, 2016 10:01 pm
szemely says:
I've been poking around for details. Any place one could buy the book for under $70? (which is the cheapest I've seen)
You can get the PDF for $25 at DriveThruRPG.com (Don't forget to use GP's referral link if you buy it there!)

I can't find the book for less than $70 though :(
Last edited June 29, 2016 10:01 pm
Jun 30, 2016 1:12 am
DTR now has yet more of my money. :-)

(And GP should have more of that sweet referral.... whatever GP gets when someone uses the link)
Jun 30, 2016 1:26 am
I had obviously heard that the artwork was retro style and there was a lot of it but I was not prepared for this level of awesomeness. First pass through the book will simply be looking at the illustrations.
Jun 30, 2016 1:37 am
All of my spare time for the evening has just been claimed...

http://i.imgur.com/H4yLK6c.png
PHB AD&D

http://i.imgur.com/EMoKbDt.png
DCC
Jun 30, 2016 2:15 am
I've enjoyed what I read, and I plan to run a game here eventually

You do not have permission to post in this thread.