Trials by Fire: a tutorial series

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Aug 7, 2014 10:30 am
Hello all. Greenonme here, bringing in an idea that I'm thinking of. I plan to start a series of testing games called Trials by Fire. Basically, this would be for very new players (or GMs! I've never run a game on a forum). Each one might address a different RPG system that I'm interested in learning. And each one would be designed as a fixed term campaign. Running for about three months, give or take participation levels.

What I'm hoping for!

new players!
experienced players who have the patience to teach and coach!
lots of enthusiasm and willingness to roll with the hiccups of learning new things.

Any questions? Hit me up here or send me a message. :)

ETA: the first would probably be in basic D&D 3.5 for simplicity sake.

ETA2: going to have to postpone this a bit later than I expected. timecrunch!
Last edited August 21, 2014 10:38 am
Aug 7, 2014 3:32 pm
Thanks for signing up and your interest in running something! If you need a hand with anything on Gamers Plane, let me know!
[ +- ] Hello Hunters
Aug 7, 2014 6:32 pm
That sounds like a good idea. 3 months -seems- like a long time, but it really depends on the frequency posts are needed i suppose.
Aug 7, 2014 9:04 pm
Keleth says:
Thanks for signing up and your interest in running something! If you need a hand with anything on Gamers Plane, let me know!
I will! Still learning forum navigation, I'm used to a journal based setting, but the tools here for dice are fun and useful!
Aug 7, 2014 9:06 pm
ExperienceLtd says:
That sounds like a good idea. 3 months -seems- like a long time, but it really depends on the frequency posts are needed i suppose.
Maybe one month if that is too long :/

lol I'm used to the idea of tabletop campaigns that can last a year or more. I was aiming low for a trial time span. But really it will be up to the RP unit as a whole. If people want to make it a short thing, awesome. If they want a longer running experience, awesome too.
Aug 9, 2014 7:55 am
As stated in another thread... I have never really played any games such as these (always wanted to though) so this may work for someone like me. At this point (knowing about 2% of probably what is needed) I would be up for any type of "learning" type game.
Aug 10, 2014 11:07 am
atari360 says:
As stated in another thread... I have never really played any games such as these (always wanted to though) so this may work for someone like me. At this point (knowing about 2% of probably what is needed) I would be up for any type of "learning" type game.
I think this would work out well for us then. :D

I was thinking of starting off with a D&D based game. Do you have access to the 3.5 edition rules? The other option being the new 5th edition basic rules that are free to download.
Aug 10, 2014 10:43 pm
3.5 had and OGL, so you can find all the rules for it online very easily, for either download or online pdf or webpage.
Aug 13, 2014 2:35 am
I think I can find the rules book online somewhere... I have had no experience playing any type of paper RPGs in my past... So I am REALLY starting from scratch.

I have "Joined the game" do I need to go into the characters area and do something now?
Aug 13, 2014 10:57 am
atari360 says:
I think I can find the rules book online somewhere... I have had no experience playing any type of paper RPGs in my past... So I am REALLY starting from scratch.

I have "Joined the game" do I need to go into the characters area and do something now?
I don't seem to have a notification of anyone joining. hmm.

Do you have a character you're ready to play, or do you need help building one up? :)

**ETA: found that notif!
Last edited August 13, 2014 10:58 am
Aug 13, 2014 9:11 pm
Also, there are no storylines currently up. but there will be soon! Right now everything is kind of in a construction phase.

here is a question for potential players, what kinds of plotlines are you interesting in?
Aug 14, 2014 12:28 am
I guess part of my problem is now I have to go through the rules book and make a Character with the onsite character builder? Remember I've never done this from scratch at all.
Aug 14, 2014 2:00 am
if by character builder you mean the character sheet, then yes.. maybe we could get 'em to make a character assistance builder or the like.
if you need help feel free to ask, or, reference materials you might need
Aug 14, 2014 9:47 pm
I've seen a few "Character Builders" for 3.5 online here and there... I messed around with them but some of them were pretty detail oriented.

I started to make one but then I decided against it... but there was no way to go back into editing so I had to delete and start all over again.

Any assistance via the website to help out the "I have never done this before" would be helpful =-)
Aug 14, 2014 10:36 pm
atari360 says:
I've seen a few "Character Builders" for 3.5 online here and there... I messed around with them but some of them were pretty detail oriented.

I started to make one but then I decided against it... but there was no way to go back into editing so I had to delete and start all over again.

Any assistance via the website to help out the "I have never done this before" would be helpful =-)
If you are okay with skype I can jump on sometime to talk you through it, I usually do better with verbal instructions than written ones. hmm I wonder if they have a youtube tutorial for character creations. Going to have to look now lol.
Aug 14, 2014 10:38 pm
found a youtube series for 3.5. haven't checked the whole thing out yet, but looks pretty good so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpHvfVtnPkQ&list=RDgpHvfVtnPkQ#t=38

okay... a little bit in, and not quite the most eloquent. but still. informative.
Last edited August 14, 2014 10:43 pm
Aug 14, 2014 11:03 pm
Last edited August 18, 2014 10:29 am

You do not have permission to post in this thread.