[Interest Chk] Random Dungeon of Random Randomness

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jul 3, 2022 4:39 pm
This is just an Interest check right now.

I've had this idea for a PbP D&D game for a while: a dungeon generated randomly as the PCs explore it, with completely random encounters, random loot, and using heroes with randomly rolled stats. I have a bit of story to wrap it in, but it would be a lot of dungeon crawl for the sake of dungeon crawl, heavy on combat, light on RP.

Recently, I came across DMDave's Uncle Skeleton's Neverending Dungeon, which isn't the same, but is similar in theme. One idea from Uncle S that I really like is the amnesiac starting characters (complete with rules for an Amnesiac character background). That gave me a great idea for making the story part a little more interesting. The game would start at 1st level, but advancement would come extremely quickly, because the characters wouldn't be "gaining experience", they'd be "remembering their skills".

Can't say much more, because the nature of the game kind of requires the players to be in the dark at the beginning. My question is this: are there people who would be interested in this? If there's enough interest, I'll start putting some things together to run it. Wouldn't be ready for several weeks, because life is busy for me IRL. Also, I would probably make this a low post-rate game, because I'm slower to post as a DM than as a player. So if you can't stand games that post 3 times/week or so, maybe don't express interest.
Jul 3, 2022 4:57 pm
Sounds interesting, but I have some questions.

What would be the PCs goal? If it's all random it might be tough to find that wizard you are on the hunt for, for example.

I'm assuming its D&D 5e?

How many players are you looking for?
Jul 3, 2022 5:36 pm
The game as currently envisioned would start with the characters already in the dungeon, not sure who they are, how they got there, or why they are there. The two most immediate goals would be to solve those mysteries and find a way out of the dungeon. There would be a larger plot, however, that unfolds as the PCs are doing those things. I wouldn't want to give that away initially (unless this idea turns out to be really unappealing to people). It would involve some traditional fantasy tropes and maguffins.

5e D&D. A typical 4-5 player party.
Jul 3, 2022 7:20 pm
Sounds kind of interesting. Not really my thing personally, but I could see it being fun
Jul 3, 2022 11:29 pm
Sounds fun,
You could take it a step further and have the PC start without a known background or class including proficiencies. Give them some clues in their possessions and they have to try and figure stuff out. I am in a level 0 campaign where we track skill use to unlock proficiency.
You can set it up so the PC are level 4, but their level 4 bonus is not predefined and they are just a couple hundred exp from 5th. Any activities they do that don't match their forgotten past abilities define their level 4 feat/abilities score improvement and/or class advancement, possibly into a multiclass.
Anyhow count me in
Jul 4, 2022 6:42 am
I like the idea, but don't think it's something for me. So, I'm going to pass on this one.
Good luck with the game, friends :)
Jul 4, 2022 8:46 am
Could be fun. I love random weirdness. Feels like it would be more mechanical than RP, but I'd try
Last edited July 4, 2022 8:46 am
Jul 4, 2022 8:59 am
A dungeon crawl might be interesting for sure.. :) Smiles.
Jul 4, 2022 9:03 am
It is very tempting to make a wild magic sorcerer at join this dungeon crawl, but I sound't
Jul 4, 2022 9:31 am
@timplausible you know that I've failed to keep players motivated to play a game with similar idea and had to retire the game when they start asking about PVP mechanics. I do believe that it was all my fault as DM and I would love to join similar game as a player.

P.S. From my experience - such a game could be as RP-heavy as players will want it to be. It is only the charisma skills and ability score that may be irrelevant. But a PC don't need an NPC to talk to when there are 3-4 other PCs to build relations with.
Jul 4, 2022 12:38 pm
GreyWord says:
I've failed to keep players motivated to play
Update: this was a wrong statement. Correct would be - failed to have PCs motivated to work as a team. I guess game style contributed to that if wasn't the main reason.
Jul 4, 2022 12:54 pm
A random dungeon crawl does indeed intrigue me.
Jul 4, 2022 4:21 pm
One way to make it work with the amnesia is to create an opening scene with the PC standing together and an imminent threat forcing immediate cooperation. Then when the threat is cleared they realize they have no memories before this scene. You could also in this scene introduce at least 1 skill, cantrip, ability for each PC as hints, other than their belonging, as to their individual origin. Thus any PVP that results would spring from character and story development
Last edited July 6, 2022 2:56 am
Jul 4, 2022 5:10 pm
If I'm interpretting posts correctly, seems like there is enough interest in this for me to start setting it up. Look for a real recruitment post in two weeks or so.

Thanks for the ideas as well. I'll let them swim around in my head and we'll see what comes out.
Jul 5, 2022 2:56 pm
This is right up my alley. I've wanted to run a random dungeon for my in person campaigns for a while, mostly to work on my improv

You do not have permission to post in this thread.