Automatically Linked Quotes

Jul 3, 2022 10:52 pm
See the next post for details. This is just some filler text to help illustrate my point:

"Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Dolor sit amet consectetur adipiscing elit. Cras fermentum odio eu feugiat pretium nibh. Velit aliquet sagittis id consectetur purus ut faucibus.

This sentence requires further discussion.

Nisi lacus sed viverra tellus in hac habitasse platea dictumst. Molestie nunc non blandit massa enim. Blandit cursus risus at ultrices mi tempus imperdiet nulla malesuada. Adipiscing elit duis tristique sollicitudin nibh sit amet commodo."
Jul 3, 2022 10:53 pm
I think it would be useful to automatically include a link when the "Quote" button under a post is pressed.

For example this could be added to the "Quick Reply" field if I pressed the "Quote" button under the previous post:
(note the addition of the linebreak and link at the end of the quote)
[quote="Chalrytharendir"]See the next post for details. This is just some filler text to help illustrate my point:

"Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Dolor sit amet consectetur adipiscing elit. Cras fermentum odio eu feugiat pretium nibh. Velit aliquet sagittis id consectetur purus ut faucibus. 

[f=color:green bold]This sentence requires further discussion.[/f]

Nisi lacus sed viverra tellus in hac habitasse platea dictumst. Molestie nunc non blandit massa enim. Blandit cursus risus at ultrices mi tempus imperdiet nulla malesuada. Adipiscing elit duis tristique sollicitudin nibh sit amet commodo."
[linebreak]
[url=https://gamersplane.com/forums/thread/26076/?p=1215301#p1215301][f=small right]SEE QUOTED POST HERE[/f][/url][/quote]

Then I could delete most of the quoted text above the linebreak, keeping only the text I want to highlight or discuss, so it would render like this:
Chalrytharendir says:
This sentence requires further discussion.
SEE QUOTED POST HERE
I think this would help keep threads tidy without losing context and would be a lot easier than adding the link manually each time you want to quote something. And if you don't want to include the link for some reason, it's easy to delete.
Jul 3, 2022 11:03 pm
This is great!

Sorry to piggyback off this, but it's directly related to the "delete most of the text" part. There is one massive improvement I'd love to see about the quote feature. Many times when I am quoting, I only want to respond to a single point or two, and if the post is really long I have to do a lot of removing unnecessary text, and if not it creates huge nested posts by the second or third quote. This is doubly cumbersome on phone. I'd love a way to quote highlighted text if that's possible. If not, if we can have quotes function similarly to notes and have a drop down so I can choose the player I want to quote, and can then copy/paste only the text I need.
Jul 4, 2022 12:21 am
@nezzeraj Yes, I really like that idea too. If it can be implemented at the same time as this one, that would be great. In case it can't be, I'm going to open another thread for that idea because i don't want your suggestion to get lost in here
Jul 4, 2022 3:22 am
I'm not a fan of this idea. It doesn't seem very useful to me and is just unnecessary clutter. I'm not strongly against it but eh.
Jul 4, 2022 5:08 am
bowlofspinach says:
I'm not a fan of this idea. It doesn't seem very useful to me and is just unnecessary clutter. I'm not strongly against it but eh.
I don't see how it's unnecessary clutter when the goal and result is less clutter.
Jul 4, 2022 5:29 am
It adds a link, meaning there is more there than before. I don't see how that is in any way less clutter 😅
Jul 4, 2022 5:34 am
I'm a bit meh about the idea, but I think the clutter could be reduced by making the "says" into a link.

bowlofspinach says:
Jul 4, 2022 5:42 am
I much prefer that. I still don't find it necessary but I wouldn't mind this option.
Jul 4, 2022 5:50 am
Adam says:
I'm a bit meh about the idea, but I think the clutter could be reduced by making the "says" into a link.

bowlofspinach says:
I like this iteration!
Jul 4, 2022 6:13 am
Adam says:
bowlofspinach says:
I like this version too.
Jul 4, 2022 7:13 am
I regularly add such links manually, but don't always need them, so could view them as clutter in the unneeded cases.

However: Turning the 'Says' text into the link is what I always wanted when I did add a link, so that will not add any clutter and would be welcome.

It would be nice if we could keep the bbcode shorter than the long URL code we are currently forced to use for such links --it does know what sort of URL it is linking to and can build the URL from a minimal thread/post ID. The long URL tags has been a pain when breaking a post into bits to reply to each chunk separately.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.