Feature: Save but not post

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Jul 20, 2022 4:29 am
I agree pretty much with C1nder's points.
Quote:
I habitually refresh and rely on new post flags to alert me to a game.
This is why I dislike "more to come" type posts. I open the thread and find nothing inside and then often don't see the finished post (and even if I do, the initial opening is still disappointing). I guess the major edit option takes care of the "no notification to my players later" problem, but I never use that one, even if appropriate, because it also sends out a ping and I don't like that 😅
Quote:
So I write up as much as i can, leaving gaps, post with the roll, then go in and edit as quick as i can.
I have actually on occasion when including a dice roll into a post written up the text for both outcomes so I can very quickly paste one in after initially posting. But that's not a great solution...
I've also occasionally as a player been not sure whether a GM post is finished or if more is coming, so I've written up a reply that was then invalidated by something that was added later to the initially posted version, or had to either wait for an hour or so or ask in ooc to avoid this issue. Some option to see your rolls before posting, even if turned off by default, would be amazing
Jul 20, 2022 4:33 am
C1NDER says:

A draft feature would let me work on a post over the course of the day, bouncing between mobile and PC, get everything in order, then post precisely when I'm done, even days later, 2ith a nice, crisp notification attached to it.
Yes this is a nice summary of all the points the feature could help with.
Jul 20, 2022 11:31 am
C1NDER says:
... when i put my posts together that involve rolls. I often want to use the roll result to influence what my post says ...
You could post as much you know is happening (even if it is just a roll) and then make a new post with the outcome based on that roll. Not only does this new post remove the problem of people not hearing about the change, it also puts the roll that determined the fiction before the fiction so a reader does not end up wondering "why are they saying they failed" only to see the roll later that make the fail happen.
C1NDER says:
... edit as quick as i can ...
There is always the chance that someone was quicker than you. Then they have to carefully parse the text to see what changed.
Jul 20, 2022 12:17 pm
Quote:
There is always the chance that someone was quicker than you. Then they have to carefully parse the text to see what changed.
Exactly. And that's why making two posts is also not a great solution
Jul 20, 2022 1:17 pm
bowlofspinach says:
And that's why making two posts is also not a great solution
Really? They read one, can see from that that something more is needed and incoming, and then see that another post has been made with the new information, and there is no ambiguity since nothing changed in the first post and the second post make sense as a continuation. The only problem I have seen with this approach is when players worry that making two posts in a row is somehow 'rude'.

Anyway, this is getting off-topic from drafts. :)
Jul 20, 2022 1:23 pm
Well, it has the exact same problem you described that editing has in that players might respond before the edit or second post is done (or start their response).

The only positive that two posts has to editing is that players don't receive a ping on their front page (can we just disable major edit pings, please?)

But yes, this is getting off topic.

A way to save drafts and access between different devices: Yes!
A way to see your rolls before you post: Yes!!
Jul 20, 2022 1:43 pm
bowlofspinach says:
... players might respond before the edit or second post is done (or start their response).
The first post can make it clear that there is more incoming.
Jul 20, 2022 2:06 pm
We already have a note tag which hides the post from everyone but the GM. It seems that the easiest approach (and may Adam smite me if I'm wrong) would just be to add say... a [draft] tag that hides it from everyone who's not you.

As a bonus, the otherwise empty post could show DRAFT to everyone else to let them know you're working on a post.

The new post notification could be problematic, but it could also be as easy as copying the post to a new post and deleting the old one. NOt sure if that's automatable...

(or perhaps flag a post with [draft] in it not to generate a new post notification until it's removed? >__> )
Last edited July 20, 2022 2:07 pm
Jul 20, 2022 2:11 pm
Falconloft says:
... but it could also be as easy as copying the post to a new post and deleting the old one ...
Then why not write it in a private thread (in ones' own game) and then copy/paste it into the game when ready? That solves the problem of notifications and people responding before it is ready, and already works and is being used (here and in all other forums everywhere).
Jul 20, 2022 2:14 pm
Quote:
Then why not write it in a private thread (in ones' own game) and then copy/paste it into the game when ready? That solves the problem of notifications and people responding before it is ready, and already works and is being used (here and in all other forums everywhere).
Agreed. At the moment, I use a private thread in a private game for this. The idea of a draft feature would be not to have to copypaste this.
Quote:
The first post can make it clear that there is more incoming.
An initial post before you edit it can do the same
Jul 20, 2022 4:13 pm
nezzeraj says:
C1NDER says:

A draft feature would let me work on a post over the course of the day, bouncing between mobile and PC, get everything in order, then post precisely when I'm done, even days later, 2ith a nice, crisp notification attached to it.
Yes this is a nice summary of all the points the feature could help with.
This would really be great if it's possible to implement. Also, it was earlier mentioned that adding a note as a GM to yourself creates an empty post. I tack my private note to myself onto the end of my previous post so that doesn't happen. There is then no sign of a private note. Not ideal but it works.
Last edited July 20, 2022 4:14 pm
Jul 20, 2022 4:16 pm
Still doesn't work if other GMs are around (though I guess they don't get a notification, so they wouldn't think to look). And it doesn't get rid of the copypasting issue. In that case, just posting it in a private thread first still seems like the best option.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.