Feature: Save but not post

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jul 13, 2022 12:07 am
Sometimes I'm writing a long post and can't finish. It'd be nice to have a way to save a post that is invisible and doesn't show up as a post. Kind of like a draft post feature.
Jul 13, 2022 12:49 am
Totally exists. Thanks to the miracle efforts of Doctors Copy and Paste, you too can experience the wonders of immortal text! Act now, and save!
Jul 13, 2022 12:52 am
Well I alternate posting between my phone, home computer, and work computer lol. It'd be great to pick up on a different machine than the one I started on.
Jul 13, 2022 2:11 am
I use a character sheet for this purpose, to move posts between devices. :D Maybe it might work as a temporary solution for you too.
Jul 13, 2022 3:03 am
I have a game just for that, to post unfinished posts in.
And to test new dice code and stuff
Jul 13, 2022 3:18 am
Sounds like a lot of people can use this feature :D
Jul 13, 2022 3:25 am
I use another game or Microsoft Cloud. It would be a nice feature though.
Jul 13, 2022 3:46 am
You could also use placeholder posts and keep the text hidden until you're ready for the big reveal...
Jul 13, 2022 3:59 am
Not if your fellow player is also GM, which is the only case in which I have ever needed this feature. I also really don't like placeholder posts personally 😅
Jul 13, 2022 4:21 am
Harrigan says:
You could also use placeholder posts and keep the text hidden until you're ready for the big reveal...
But that will create a notification and get the players' hopes up lol.
Jul 13, 2022 4:21 am
Those sound like "bowl" problems. =]
Jul 13, 2022 4:23 am
nezzeraj says:
Harrigan says:
Then perhaps track the draft elsewhere, as suggested. :) (When I use placeholders, the rest is generally coming along minutes later. I would be annoyed by placeholders in place for long periods of time too.)
Jul 13, 2022 4:30 am
Quote:
When I use placeholders, the rest is generally coming along minutes later
Long enough for me to see it and get disappointed 😁

The only issue I have with posting my post elsewhere and then copypasting into the right thread later is that for some reason, my phone won't let me copy something longer than a certain word count from GP. It's not an issue elsewhere, like when I save my post on Whatsapp instead, just on GP for some reason.
Jul 13, 2022 7:44 am
Harrigan says:
nezzeraj says:
Harrigan says:
Then perhaps track the draft elsewhere, as suggested. :) (When I use placeholders, the rest is generally coming along minutes later. I would be annoyed by placeholders in place for long periods of time too.)
Sure it's a solution, but it's cumbersome lol. The point of the post is not to find a solution that's possible, but to add a useful feature to GP. The fact that so many people propose very different solutions shows it would be a useful feature to have :)
Last edited July 13, 2022 7:45 am
Jul 13, 2022 10:09 am
We have the private note now, though I found out that still creates an empty post. If it could be tweaked to not show up at all if you aren't mentioned, then it could be what nezzraj is looking for. With the "This is a minor edit" check box it could work. But players still get a new post warning.
Last edited July 13, 2022 10:12 am
Jul 13, 2022 10:11 am
Still wouldn't help with withholding the post from GMs
Jul 13, 2022 10:14 am
bowlofspinach says:
Still wouldn't help with withholding the post from GMs
Harrigan says:
Those sound like "bowl" problems. =]
that ☝️

If you are the GM of all GMs. then you can just sneakingly kick them out of GMing like I do with bowl 😈
Jul 13, 2022 10:20 am
I'm just saying, if we're already talking about a potential new feature, maybe it should be useful for more cases than just "I am the one and only GM of this game". What about shared GMing games? What about a one on one game where you just both have the rights? What if you're a player? Why should a solution not also help in those situations but only for single GMs?
Jul 20, 2022 3:45 am
I support Nezz's idea, especially if it could include the ability for GM's to lock dice rolls into the draft as well.

Some suggestions I see here is using notes to hide the content until you can finish it.

I'm not a fan of that method because it ruins the "new post" flag on an empty post. Then when I go in and finish it, there's no notification to my players.

Same happens when i put my posts together that involve rolls. I often want to use the roll result to influence what my post says, but i dont want to post too early and run the risk of my players checking the new post, seeing its empty and forgetting to come back later. So I write up as much as i can, leaving gaps, post with the roll, then go in and edit as quick as i can.

Maybe thats just me though - I habitually refresh and rely on new post flags to alert me to a game.

A draft feature would let me work on a post over the course of the day, bouncing between mobile and PC, get everything in order, then post precisely when I'm done, even days later, 2ith a nice, crisp notification attached to it.
Last edited July 20, 2022 3:48 am
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.