Dud-geons and Drag-ons.

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

KCC

Jul 19, 2022 9:05 am
…badum tsss…
What RPG did you play, read or buy that turned out to be a real dud? Maybe it was hyped up beforehand but was dead on arrival? Perhaps it was a more promising, niche offering that didn’t meet your expectations?

For me: Enter…

STAR WARS
https://i.imgur.com/4vRgqWo.jpg

Specifically, the dice mechanics of the FFG offering. Amazing universe. There’s something for everyone. And it’s known. None of that "well, in this world there are no XYZ."

But the dice seemed to get in the way of the narrative each and every time. It felt like we were doing something great only for us then to get out the chart, cross reference stuff and then decide. Not to mention going back and forth and agreeing on appropriate outcomes with the GM and yadda yadda yadda…

How about you?
Last edited July 19, 2022 9:05 am
Jul 19, 2022 9:30 am
Oh God, White Wolf's Scion.
We were sooo excited when a friend of ours got the three core books as a gift. I offered to GM and made up a short campaign.
Amazing setting, great lore.
ABYSMAL ruleset, even worse than the standard White Wolf fare; nonsensical examples (weapon chart with a Macuahuitl but no explosives of any kind); no balance whatsoever between attributes and powers.
We enjoyed the setting so much we kept playing, but then after 8 sessions re-made the PCs using the Mutants & Masterminds ruleset.
Jul 19, 2022 9:34 am
Omg so many sadly.

https://i.imgur.com/pKwoL3t.jpgThe card mechanic really detracts from the game and makes magic very un-fun.

https://i.imgur.com/ZX8h3EK.jpgCharacter advancement is lackluster, flashbacks interrupt the narrative flow, and everything you do seems to generate stress which makes me stressed as a player.

https://i.imgur.com/xXGTrul.jpgAmazing world, really cool concepts, interesting classes, absolute garbage mechanics.

https://i.imgur.com/e5seRyg.pngI may give this one another chance as I only ran it once but I didn't enjoy that session. I can't point to any specific issue off the top of my head.

https://i.imgur.com/xsBtuXS.pngI like a lot about the system, except for the single d20 roll with no modifiers. It just feels so lame to only roll one die and have so much riding on it. The mechanics are just too simple that it feels unsatisfying.
Last edited July 19, 2022 9:43 am
Jul 19, 2022 10:15 am
Shadowrun 5e: Reading the rules, modifiers for this and that, that makes sense at cudos for the minnusa and ability to tweak your character
Playing the rules: What a fucking mess
Last edited July 19, 2022 10:16 am
Jul 19, 2022 9:14 pm
I feel like that's every version of Shadowrun for me.

My big one was Pugmire. It's such a neat setting and I love the Code of Man. Unfortunately, they made it based on D&D 5e (that's not the problem) and only included 10 levels (that's also not the problem) and they did this before 5e was even solidly out and without any solid understanding of 5e's problems and solutions (this is the problem). They oversimplified the systems that 5e had already simplified and it feels like playing a classless version of 5e where everyone lacks exactly the same thing - something that would make their character interesting.
Jul 19, 2022 9:20 pm
Anything Palladium but Rifts in particular. There is no consistency between rulebooks and with each new book released, there is a new, more powerful character class. I tried to consolidate the various skills into a single list and found that with each book, even the base skills weren't consistent with one another. Rifts provided one formula for a specific skill, Heroes Unlimited provided another, and Ninjas and Superspies provided yet another. They are all the same system and are supposed to be cross-compatible! And the organization of the rulebooks is utter chaos!

I love the idea behind Rifts. The setting is sheer brilliance, but the presentation is sorely lacking.
Jul 20, 2022 2:15 am
The End of the World RPGs published by FFG. The basic idea of roleplaying yourself surviving an apocalypse is an interesting idea, if a bit gimmicky. What would you do when faced with a horde of zombies? Where would you hide at night when the aliens patrol for survivors overhead?

However, the entire thing feels like half an effort was put into it. The core resolution mechanic is poorly balanced, challenging design questions such as "what do you do after your game self dies" are ignored instead of addressed, and the GM material is sorely lacking in useful materials. I'm frankly surprised this is an entire line of RPGs, though they're all the same RPG with different apocalypse settings.

The idea probably would work much better for a solo rpg of some sort instead of a group game, where a lot of the clunky bits show their teeth.
Jul 20, 2022 3:23 am
https://i.imgur.com/3Ryky47.png

It's probably a good system. I've tried it two or three times on GP, and I have that impression that it might work, but you have to basically play only with people who agree that it's a good way to play. Whether that's a shared delusional state, or a harmony of vision, depends entirely on your success.
Jul 20, 2022 6:17 am
Aironfabio says:
Oh God, White Wolf's Scion.
We were sooo excited when a friend of ours got the three core books as a gift. I offered to GM and made up a short campaign.
Amazing setting, great lore.
ABYSMAL ruleset, even worse than the standard White Wolf fare; nonsensical examples (weapon chart with a Macuahuitl but no explosives of any kind); no balance whatsoever between attributes and powers.
We enjoyed the setting so much we kept playing, but then after 8 sessions re-made the PCs using the Mutants & Masterminds ruleset.
Oh MAN Scion... The imbalance between the power levels of each of the... epic stats or legendary stats was insane. I had such a bad time playing in the campaign I was in.

For me it's Pathfinder 2e, partly because the base difficulty being upped by 5 [from 15 for an 'easy' task to 20] combined with the skills modifiers being on average lowered makes it so characters feel ineffectual and unskilled, combo this with monsters having been ported forward with relatively no changes and it feels like you're forced into playing either a completely min-maxed build or you're just some random dirt-peasant who wandered into a bad situation to die. The other partly is because someone on the dev-team seems to have a hateboner for my favorite class, and nerfed it deep into the ground.
Last edited July 20, 2022 6:20 am
Jul 20, 2022 2:13 pm
Pathfinder 1e wasn't much better. I used to be in an IRC channel that often invited RPG publishers to come talk about their latest offerings, and I remember right around the time 13th Age came out, they invited a couple Paizo devs in. One of the questions they got asked was why they didn't balance the changes they made to d&d 3.5, and their answer was, as near as I can recall, 'We tried to balance those issues, but balancing them would have required us to change other things so we just didn't.' And that appears to be their overall reaction to balance as well. It's too hard, so they just... don't.
Jul 20, 2022 2:42 pm
nezzeraj says:

https://i.imgur.com/ZX8h3EK.jpgCharacter advancement is lackluster, flashbacks interrupt the narrative flow, and everything you do seems to generate stress which makes me stressed as a player.
Uh we have drastically different viewpoints here. I can understand hating BitD, but for other reasons... I would classify the mechanics you pointed out as very well implemented and fun.
Last edited July 20, 2022 2:42 pm
Jul 20, 2022 3:17 pm
Falconloft says:
Pathfinder 1e wasn't much better. I used to be in an IRC channel that often invited RPG publishers to come talk about their latest offerings, and I remember right around the time 13th Age came out, they invited a couple Paizo devs in. One of the questions they got asked was why they didn't balance the changes they made to d&d 3.5, and their answer was, as near as I can recall, 'We tried to balance those issues, but balancing them would have required us to change other things so we just didn't.' And that appears to be their overall reaction to balance as well. It's too hard, so they just... don't.
Still more balanced than AD&D 2e's kit system. Some kits had mechanical penalties, others had RP penalties that were either ignored or so minor as to be little more than an inconvenience. Dwarves gained extra NWPs just for being dwarves, while rogues had so many NWPs to choose from that it was hard to be consistent. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy 2e and have a soft spot for it, but the kit system was horribly unbalanced.
Jul 20, 2022 5:37 pm
For me, it would be D&D 5e. I was already boycotting WotC after the lie about 4e, but then 5e came out, I got curious, and I started hearing good things about it. Eventually I found a really good deal on Amazon where you could buy all 3 core rulebooks for 40% off. Considering that my DM's Guide came with printing errors and that they had to send me a replacement copy, and that fact that Amazon obviously would take its cut, I was satisfied that WotC would not be making much profits with me...

Anyways, I started playing it, and at first I really liked it, but the more I played, the more the cracks showed. Ugly, unsightly cracks that I could simply no longer ignore... The monsters only exist to make the players look good, combats devolve simply in an annoying formality of seeing how fast you curb-stomp the opponents. Healing is overabundant. There are clearly balance issues among the various sub-classes and feat selections. And the list just goes on and on and on...

So much so that I started to look for alternatives for 5e. My first idea was going into the O5R movement and play some of those games, with Five Torches Deep quickly becoming my favorite, but I must admit that later I noticed Red Hack and Into The Unknown looked like they could pull off O5R even better than FTD. But last month I did finally received my books for the EN Publishing Kickstarter I backed: Level Up, Advanced 5th edition. And after being almost done reasing the behemoth of the Adventurer's Guide (their version of the PHB, clocking in at 656 pages), I must say that I really love the fixes, and this will be my 5e from now on (tough I'll still dabble in O5R when I feel like having an OSR feel).
Last edited July 20, 2022 5:44 pm
Jul 20, 2022 5:51 pm
kalajel says:
Red Hack
Do you mean the one from 2007 that had playbooks and Party Bears and kitsune?
Jul 20, 2022 7:15 pm
WhtKnt says:
Still more balanced than AD&D 2e's kit system. Some kits had mechanical penalties, others had RP penalties that were either ignored or so minor as to be little more than an inconvenience. Dwarves gained extra NWPs just for being dwarves, while rogues had so many NWPs to choose from that it was hard to be consistent. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy 2e and have a soft spot for it, but the kit system was horribly unbalanced.
All I can think of whenever I think of the Kit system is the Jongluer kit. I knew a guy who that was all he would play because it was just so insanely busted. Evasion before evasion existed, Deflect Arrows but better before that existed, and a bonus to hit and damage with thrown weapons that stacked with picking up WP in the throwing skill. He had something like +4 to hit and +4 damage on top of whatever he got from stats and base THAC0 at level 1.

The kits were definitely all over the place, but so were the races, that was just kind of 2e's thing. Like a lesser reflection of RIFTS in that aspect, which is to say specifically relying entirely on the individual game's DM to keep people on roughly the same level of power rather than actually building it into the game. Just without the power gap being a gulf the size of an entire galaxy, between 'A homeless guy' (Vagrant OCC) and 'The Silver Surfer' (Cosmo-Knight OCC) and 'My class starts at the level your class ends' (Adult Dragon RCC). Sure could be frustrating on both parts.
Jul 20, 2022 7:20 pm
tibbius says:
kalajel says:
Red Hack
Do you mean the one from 2007 that had playbooks and Party Bears and kitsune?
Oh, sorry, I should have taken into account that there are more than one "red hack" out there... I was talking about that one.
Jul 20, 2022 7:23 pm
Kyre says:
Like a lesser reflection of RIFTS in that aspect...
Oh yeah, I guess there's that game too. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate RIFTS, but man are those books an organizational mess!
Jul 20, 2022 11:14 pm
Aironfabio says:

Uh we have drastically different viewpoints here. I can understand hating BitD, but for other reasons... I would classify the mechanics you pointed out as very well implemented and fun.
Fun is definitely subjective because I've never had fun with a BitD system lol. I'm curious what your "other reasons" are though, cuz I might hate those as well and just forgot to mention them! Haha.
Jul 21, 2022 12:15 am
https://i.imgur.com/y9yfKso.jpg

This had a LOT of potential and a really amazing setting but the mechanics were just so, so bad. It seemed like a couple of the designers had a good grasp on how to handle the mechanics and the rest just made a half-hearted stab at throwing something on a page. Balance was a joke but the setting made putting up with the system almost worth it. The production values on the various books was on-point and did a great job of promoting the look and feel of the setting.
I played the White Wolf version of Aberrant/Trinity but haven't tried the Onyx Path version.
Last edited July 21, 2022 12:16 am
Jul 21, 2022 6:41 am
nezzeraj says:

Fun is definitely subjective because I've never had fun with a BitD system lol. I'm curious what your "other reasons" are though, cuz I might hate those as well and just forgot to mention them! Haha.
I mostly had big problems with the fact that it sold itself as "low prep". Prep during session 0 might be low, but as a GM you have to keep track of one thousand things at once during play, there's a million subsystems rather then few universal principles. It is one of the hardest thing I ever GMed and even as a player your sheet looks like a QC module from the 80s (still not as bad as some others).
Also the "magical" elements of the setting felt a bit tacked on, it could've been played in a historical setting such as Peaky Binders and would've worked almost better.

Meanwhile introducing quick flashbacks was a blast, it totally felt like a heist movie such as Ocean's Eleven where the flashback is enhancing the narrative rather than interrupting it.
And I loved that there's no "safe course" you're in a very stressful situation and there's only so much you can do without having a crackdown.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.