New prod server ready; needs testing

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jul 30, 2022 3:32 am
Hey all!

So the existing GP server hasn't been updated since the site was launched. Thanks to the amazing help from @adam and @vaguegm, we got a staging server up a few months ago, For those who don't know, a staging server is one that's used to test new code/systems before it goes onto production (prod), which is where you all are playing now.

The staging server's purpose was to test our a new mechanism to get servers live, as well as create a replicatable environment for features. Staging worked great, and thanks to VagueGM, it led to a new prod server that seems to be running great! The thing is... I can only test so much.

I'd love if folks could head to new.gamersplane.com and play around a bit. You don't have to worry about screwing up any data; before we go live, I'll do a final copy. If everything looks good over the weekend/through Monday/Tuesday, I can setup a time to move to the new server. It'll take between a few hours to a day, during which GP may or may not be available to each of you, depending on a host of things I can't really control but will do my best to minimize.

So go forth, have fun with the new server, and let me know if anything is broken. If I don't hear anything is broken by Monday Thursday night ET, I'll schedule the switch over for next Saturday, so take the time to look.
Jul 30, 2022 1:40 pm
At people on discord's behest, we're changing the dates to please check out the site over the next few days, and if everything looks good by Thursday, I'll move the move Saturday evening ET. Fewer people on the weekends and what not.
Aug 5, 2022 1:35 am
Alright, as no one's posted any issues, Saturday night ET, when I get home from my parents, I'll take down the current site, copy over the DB, and point the domains over to the new server.
Aug 5, 2022 7:06 am
Don't forget the ports, firewall, and SPF changes --discussed elsewhere-- that need to be made before things will work properly.

While changing the config for exposed ports maybe also remove the certificate mount, and change the compatibility_level config on postfix to eliminate some log errors.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.