(Interest Check) Shadowrun

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Aug 7, 2022 3:35 am
I'm looking to see if there is interest in either a Shadowrun 4e or Shadowrun 5e Campaign.

[System]
Shadowrun 4e or 5e

[Frequency]
At most one to two posts per day, at least one post every other day.

[Duration]
Campaign

[Inclusion]
All people of all walks of life are welcome at my 'table' as long as you follow Wheaton's Law. New players are also welcome.

[Interested?]
If you are interested, please comment and comment on preference 4e or 5e! If I get enough interest, I will write up a campaign scenario and post a formal recruiting thread.
Aug 7, 2022 4:22 am
Yeah, you'll get plenty of interest for ShadowRun, I believe. I'll throw my hat in the ring even though the latest edition I played was 3rd.
Aug 7, 2022 6:25 am
I am intrigued. I'd have to get my hands on the rules for either edition but I don't have a preference for either one. Whichever you like and feel comfortable with, honestly.
Aug 7, 2022 7:10 am
That's 2 at least. Cool! Hopefully there is another 3-4 more.
Aug 7, 2022 8:46 am
I would really love to try Shadowrun for the first time! I’ve always been very curious about it 😍

I’m fascinated by the Rigger class and would love to try and play it.
Aug 7, 2022 9:03 am
Cool! We are at 3 now, just need 2-3 more and we are set!
Aug 7, 2022 9:40 am
I'm always down for SR. It is considered one of the "cursed" games on GP as they almost always fall apart before a single mission finishes. I even have some characters made from those games I'd love to actually use lol.
Aug 7, 2022 11:01 am
So that makes 4. Just need 1-2 more!
Aug 7, 2022 11:25 am
nezzeraj says:
I'm always down for SR. It is considered one of the "cursed" games on GP as they almost always fall apart before a single mission finishes. I even have some characters made from those games I'd love to actually use lol.
It's true that SR has been largely unsuccessful so far on GP. I've failed with both 5e and 6e :(. Hope to hear good news about this one, so all the best for this game!
Aug 7, 2022 1:41 pm
I'd be interested if you need anither person. Have a tiny bit of experience with 5e. However there may be a tad of a delay on me with char gen as I've got covid so got a bit of a backlog. Slowly catching up though
Aug 7, 2022 1:45 pm
I'd be interested, and I prefer 5th edition. :)
Aug 7, 2022 3:37 pm
Hoping you'll make the game forums public on this one, would like to follow it.
Aug 8, 2022 10:00 am
Right then! I shall post up the Recruitment Thread! Looks like SR5 then it is!
Aug 9, 2022 2:51 am
Oh yeah, Shadowrun is the business! Like everyone said though, I've never been in one that lasted. I started with 2nd edition but I've also played 5th and Anarchy. I feel like the Anarchy system is an overlooked gem for PbP. The SR ruleset can be pretty fiddly and Anarchy streamlines everything for story telling.
Aug 9, 2022 2:53 am
Isn't SR: Anarchy a PbtA adaptation or I'd it a different system?
Aug 9, 2022 2:57 am
Is it? I've never played Powered by the Apocalypse but I've read other people loving on it. Reminds me in a vague way of the Gumshoe system which is also awesome for PbP. Trail of Cthulhu is super tight.
Aug 9, 2022 3:26 am
I was thinking it was a more narrative based system. Maybe not PbtA but something in that range of system mechanics...

SR, like Traveller, MechWarrior and a few other games, levelling and character improvement are largely governed by access to newer, better, fancier equipment (as opposed to level gain) and less granular systems often overlook that point. SR: Anarchy falls into that 'less granular' category but ultimately having fun is the point so edition doesn't matter.
Aug 9, 2022 9:10 am
SR Anarchy isn't PbtA at all. It's a system unto itself, an attempt to go the opposite direction of regular SR's crunchiness. It has mechanics to focus on narrative flow, reduces die rolls significantly, simplifies everything 'power' related to something called shadow amps to templatise various skills. Happy to discuss its pros and cons in another thread!
Aug 9, 2022 5:21 pm
Chipping in with the little experience of SR:A I have, only played it once but much like PbtA games, it requires input and co-creation from the players' part. Which is good as long as your party is interested and able to do it. I personally ran into a group that was playing for the first time and didn't know much about the lore (plus one player outright said "I can't do this, can't be so proactive, I'm used to the GM describing stuff and me reacting to them") so it was short lived.
Aug 10, 2022 4:15 am
If there ends up being an opening, count me in ;)
Aug 10, 2022 5:35 pm
Is SR5 any good? I'm way invested in SR4.
Aug 10, 2022 8:41 pm
GreyGriffin says:
Is SR5 any good? I'm way invested in SR4.
Absolutely. It's my second favourite edition after SR3.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.