(Interest check) Night's Black Agents

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Aug 7, 2022 8:08 pm
This is an interest check for a game of Night’s Black Agents, a GUMSHOE system that can basically be summed up as "burned spies vs vampire criminals".

https://i.imgur.com/VE7ZjBd.jpg

You are former spies, operatives, mercenaries, of for-hire agents. For one reason or the other, you left your organization, and you find yourself with a very specific set of skills hardly fit for a 9-to-5 job. Through your network of informants, you stumbled upon proof of existence of something definitely unnatural and definitely very dangerous – and pledged to stop it; after all, you once risked your life to fight terrorists and war criminals. Vampires are just a small step up.

Your PCs will be someone along the lines of Jason Bourne or Michael Westen from Burn Notice. A step above normal humans, but humans nonetheless. Knowledge of the supernatural is hidden from the world: it is a vast shock to stumble upon undisputable proof of vampires. The tone will be that of a spy thriller: slow and tense buildup followed by frantic quick action, rarely lethal but always dangerous – all with a dose of black humor.

GUMSHOE is a simple system, focused on investigation and resource spending. Night’s Black Agents adds a variety of optional rules for thrilling action scenes that I will ignore, since I find the narrative to be vastly more important in PbP than cool mechanics in fights.

I find it hard to gauge how long it may take… I have the locations and major NPCs more or less ready and have no intention of playing forever. It will be something that can last 3 to 4 sessions at the table, so maybe 6-8 months here?

If there's enough interest, I will iron out the last details during summer vacation and open up Recruitment in the very first days of September.
Last edited August 7, 2022 8:08 pm
Aug 7, 2022 8:33 pm
Mark me as interested.
Aug 7, 2022 8:43 pm
I'm in too many games myself, but I'm really glad to see this one come up. I've heard it's one of the most highly rated campaigns there is. Best of luck!
Aug 7, 2022 9:05 pm
Um, Yes! Please. Wanders into the back garage and begins sharpening stakes and machetes while the laptop search algorithm runs down the leads.
Aug 7, 2022 9:26 pm
This has been on my list since last October, so I am definitely interested.
Aug 7, 2022 9:53 pm
Oh yes. This sounds incredibly interesting.
Aug 8, 2022 2:45 am
I've only ever played 5e but I'd love to join if you aren't full!
Aug 8, 2022 11:11 am
Well, it seems we have interest abound!

I'll do all the prepwork in the following weeks and open up a Recruitment in the early days of September, giving priority to the folks that expressed interest.
Aug 8, 2022 5:50 pm
I’m with Qralloq — not looking for more games right now, but cool to see NBA on offer!
Aug 8, 2022 6:01 pm
I'm also interested. I'm currently running a game with the same(-ish) system (it's Bubblegumshoe) and have heard many good things about Night's Black Agents
Aug 8, 2022 6:42 pm
Looks like you have more than enough interest! I would play, too, but I think I've missed the party. :)

I will take this as an indication that a second NBA game might also have legs. I've got two games wrapping up fairly soon, so I should have some bandwidth to start something new up.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.