[Game Thread] Chapter 2 - The Chicken is Back

Aug 16, 2022 6:32 pm
OOC:
Seems like a good time to start a new tread.
[ +- ] Quick Recap
Apple Tart, Mr. Bigfoot, and Rasputin are sniffing around the first floor. It's a bit hard to determine where the smell is coming from. It has quickly grown very strong, and seems like it is coming from everywhere. Before you have made it very far, you hear a noise outside - like tires squealing when a car stops to fast on the road - and then a thump-crunch, like the car hit something.

Upstairs, Middie is a bit startled when the bathroom door opens. Jane is there in a bathrobe, but she looks weird. She is still dripping wet, like she didn't towel off. And the humans always towel off before leaving the bathroom. Jane looks down at Middie, but her expression is blank. No smile. No reaching out to give you scritches. She doesn't' say a word. Then she looks away and starts walking towards the stairs.
OOC:
Any cat that continues to try to locate the source of the smell can make a Smarts roll. If you work together, one cat can make the roll with advantage (3d6, drop the lowest, + Smarts). Otherwise, tell me what you do next.

Also, I haven't heard from @Huttyman. If he doesn't return, Mr. Bigfoot will go off on his own separate adventure.
Aug 17, 2022 4:42 am
OOC:
I would help Rasputin if he rolls!
Apple Tart pauses in her steps, head turning towards the windows as she hears the car outside. "Are they back? We should tell them about the chicken!" The kitten almost trips over her paws as she turns to run to the door to greet her owner, but just as quickly pauses and looks back at Rasputin. "Or maybe we should find it first? Oh, do you think if I show Henry that I'm a good chicken hunter, he'd let me hang out with Mister Bigfoot and other street cats?" She sounds hopeful, eyes wide.
Aug 17, 2022 12:39 pm
Middie puts his ears back and slinks backwards, chirping a bit as he almost gets stepped on. "Jane?" Then he takes off down the stairs, rubbing slightly against Jane in case she just didn't see him. "There's something wrong with Jane!!!" He yowls from the bottom of the stairs before continuing on to look for his compatriots.
Aug 17, 2022 6:35 pm
Rasputin looks concerned. Something is wrong with all of this, but he can't tell exactly what. He nods absently to Apple Tart as he searches for the source of the odor. When he hears the squeal of the car's brakes, he dashes to the door, trying to see outside.
Aug 18, 2022 10:22 pm
Jane takes slow, deliberate steps down the stairs. She makes no reaction to Middie brushing by.

At the front door, Rasputin jumps up on a table by the entrance, so he can see out the window. An old pickup truck has run into the mailbox post, knocking the mailbox onto the ground. The truck is a faded blue, but with one red fender. In the cab, a strange looking figure sits behind the wheel. It is person-shaped, but something doesn't look right. It has on a big overcoat, with the collar turned up. A wide-brimmed hat is pulled low, so that its face is completely in shadow. It doesn't seem to be holding onto the steering wheel. In fact, it looks like maybe the coat sleeves are just hanging empty at its sides. You think its shadowed face is pointed in your direction, but its hard to tell.

"The smell is coming from this way!" Mr. Bigfoot suddenly yells, then bolts towards the kitchen. A moment after he disappears from view, you hear him hiss and growl.

Finally, Jane reaches the bottom of the stairs. She pauses briefly, then turns and starts walking towards the door.
Aug 19, 2022 7:04 pm
"Something is wrong!" Rasputin calls. "Whatever is controlling the people mover is not a human! Keep Jane inside!"
Aug 20, 2022 2:23 am
Apple Tart is briefly disoriented by the number of interesting things happening all at once, not sure if she should go help Mr. Bigfoot or follow Rasputin, but her ears perk up when she hears the latter's call.

"Roger that!" The kitten jumps to her paws from where she was trying to figure out how to follow Rasputin up onto the table, and runs towards Jane with loud yowls of: "Jane! Stay inside! There is a weird thing going on! Rasputin says something is wrong!" In her infinite wisdom, Apple tries to get into the woman's way and under her feet - not to trip, but to force her to pay attention and walk around her. While Apple does this, she also mewls towards the stairs: "Midnight, Midnight, Mr. Bigfoot found something in the kitchen!"
Aug 20, 2022 5:31 pm
Middie hears Apple Tart, but cares more about keeping Jane safe. He reaches up her leg with his front paws and gently pokes his claws into her leg to get her attention meowing loudly. "Jane! You shouldn't go outside. Feed me instead. Doesn't that sound fun? You love feeding me."
Aug 23, 2022 7:30 pm
Jane's gaze slowly turns to Apple Tart, then moves quickly to Middie when he pricks her.

Meanwhile, more hissing and growling comes from the kitchen. Then, through the doorway, you see Mr. Bigfoot go tumbling by as if something threw him. You don't see where he lands.

Also from the kitchen comes a new sound - clicking, like claws walking on the linoleum, but louder and stranger.
OOC:
Apple Tart can make an Attitude roll to try to get through to Jane. Middie can make a Strength check - not to hurt Jane, but to see how the story turns on the physical action.
Aug 24, 2022 2:16 am
Apple Tart's tail puffs out to enormous size thanks to her long fur as she sees the stray feline being thrown out of the kitchen like it's nothing. She doubles her efforts to get Jane to react, yowling at her with the best "please open the door, human" volume:

"Jane, Jane, Mr. Bigfoot is being attacked! We have to help him!"

Rolls

Attitude: +2 - Basic - (2d6+2)

(22) + 2 = 6

(Forgot my trait advantage) - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Aug 24, 2022 11:43 am
Middle presses slightly, trying to get Jane's attention, adding a hungry meow.
Last edited August 24, 2022 11:43 am

Rolls

Strength - (2d6+1)

(34) + 1 = 8

Aug 25, 2022 8:44 pm
Jane flinches. Her leg seems to almost act on its own, giving Middie a small kick. Although not that bad in the grand scheme of things, it is shocking coming from Jane.
OOC:
Middie suffers 1 scratch.
But then Jane looks at poor Middie, and recognition seems to cross her face. Then she looks at Apple Tart, and the cute cat's mews seem to finish snapping her out of her daze. Suddenly emotion animates her face. What...? Oh... OH NO! Jane runs over to Middie and kneels down. "I'm so sorry, I don't know what happened..." Then Jane looks around the room and out the window at the darkening sky. Her voice becomes more confused "I don't know what happened. What time is it?"

From the kitchen, the clicking continues, only now it is faster. Too many clicks to be a cat walking across the floor. The sound gets louder and the foul chicken smell gets stronger. A shadow falls across the floor in the doorway, and you know that whatever it is must be right around the corner. For a moment, the clicking stops.
OOC:
I'm gonna be gone for a few days. Will post again Sunday or Monday.
Aug 25, 2022 10:51 pm
Apple bounces over to Midnight, poking him with her paw in concern. "Middie, are you alright? I'm sure Jane didn't mean it! It must be something," her pupils dilate in excitement, "magical! It must be affecting Jane! I need to go help Mr. Bigfoot so we can drive it away!" She gives the black feline one last reassuring pat and then bolts over towards their stray colleague - or rather, towards where she thinks he might be, having not seen where he landed. But wherever it is, it must be right opposite the kitchen...
Aug 25, 2022 10:59 pm
Middie stands, shocked. When she starts apologizing, he comes to and puts his tail up and pouts, turning away from her and sauntering after Apple Tart towards the kitchen.
Aug 26, 2022 2:08 am
His attention drawn from the window to the kitchen, Rasputin hurries in that direction.
Sep 2, 2022 4:32 pm
The clicking starts up again, but now very slowly. Click. Click.

Click.

The shadow on the floor grows bigger, until you start to see a physical form coming into view in the doorway.

Jane screams briefly, then seems to stop being able to make sound. Her body is quivering, her eyes wide staring at the thing in the doorway.

It is the cooked chicken.

Or, rather, the carcass of the cooked chicken. The legs are missing - haven been removed and eaten by the humans. Same with the wings. Pieces of meat have been sliced off the sides. What's left looks upside down, if such a thing makes sense in the circumstances: the part that would normally sit on the plate is turned to the ceiling. Out of the other side, a number of small, white tines stick out of the flesh and make contact with the floor. As the thing continues to slowly move, you realize those tines are acting as legs. Looking more closely, you realize that those tines are the chicken's ribs. Somehow, they have grown longer and burst out of the meat. And it is walking on them. The thing has no face, but it does seem to have a mouth - of sorts. The end facing you has an opening - the opening where you've sometimes seen humans stuff things inside before cooking. That orifice is moving, stretching and relaxing. You get a hint that something else is moving inside, just shadowed by this "mouth". It makes a low, gurgling sound.

For a moment, everything is silent and still, then the thing opens its mouth wide and emits a loud, screeching bellow. A very-no-chicken-like fleshy appendage emerges from the mouth, whipping around like a tongue or a tail.

The stench is overwhelming.

What do you do?
Sep 4, 2022 1:26 am
Middle runs forward, leaping at the creature, intending to latch onto its back and eat it. "I will not be denied my chicken, whether it be spooky or not!"
Sep 5, 2022 1:51 am
All of Apple Tart's fur puffs out at its full capacity, making her look like a round white ball with two wide blue eyes. "Undead chicken!" She screeches almost as loudly as the cooked fiend, Tart's tail standing up and ears plastering against her head. "Middie, be careful! It probably knows some evil magic!" Sideways, the kitten moves closer and tries to reach and swat her paw at the creature. "It hurt Mr Bigfoot! You should leave, weird chicken!"
Sep 6, 2022 12:58 am
Rasputin searches his thoughts to try to make some sense of what he is seeing. Cooked, half-eaten chickens do not walk about and screech unholy noises, much less sprout unlikely long tongues. He would have to do some reading later to try and figure this out, but for now, the time was for action! Ears back and hackles raised, he flanks the chicken with Middie and Apple Tart and strikes at it with a loud hiss.
Sep 11, 2022 4:04 pm
OOC:
Since Middie has the best Strength stat, let's have him make a Strength roll with advantage from the others helping.

Sorry that I'm still not very consistent about posting. But I'm still here. Mostly.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.