Ask Me Anything: TrustyJustin

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

TrustyJustin

bowlofspinach

Aug 18, 2022 6:49 am
TrustyJustin
In an attempt to get to know the community and other users on GP better, we want to allow a different member each week to step into the spotlight.
You can find more information here.
About me:
Name: Justin
Personal Pronouns: He/Him
I am a visual artist, muralist and educator. I've worked as a sign painter for over 10 years and my work can be seen at grocery stores, movie theaters, schools and other businesses all over Oregon (Mostly Portland) and a couple in Los Angeles. I teach classes all over the west coast. My favorite class to teach is Paint and build a custom skateboard and my favorite class that's easy to clean up after is Comic books and Graphic Novels. Fun projects that I've done include a neon sign design outside of The Global Art of Dance, chalk festivals, set design for the Light Opera of Portland and a couple of beer labels. My current goal/interest is to have my art pay for my ability to travel and see different places, whether that be through teaching, or murals, or ideally, both.
RPG Interests: My first DM was my dad. I started playing when I was about 11 and my brother was 12. He had a few of the AD&D books and some of the adventure modules. I don't know what the first one we played was called, but it involved getting picked up by a giant bird on top of a mountain. After that I started buying and reading a bunch of RPGs, I remember buying and playing Toon, TMNT and Ghostbusters. I didn't really think that TMNT was a great system, but I liked rolling up characters on the tables and I really enjoyed reading the books. Ghostbusters, on the other hand, is totally solid. That game can be fun. Oh, and Paranoia, that one was a lot of fun to read. I had a good group when I was a teenager and then again in my 20s. We played D&D and Pathfinder. I sometimes run a game with some of my friends and their kids. We're currently, very occasionally running Tomb of Annihilation on Roll20. Although I've been a member of GP since 2016, I often only play one or two games at a time and I take breaks in-between. I have a terrible fear of overextending myself especially since so much of my work is deadline driven. This is also why I tend to avoid games that have unfamiliar rules systems. I would love to play Fallout, Marvel Multiverse, Mutants and Masterminds, or even the previous Marvel RPG, but I also don't want to take the time to learn another rule system. I like to draw my characters. My favorite characters on Gamers Plane have been a pacifist jedi named Zara Kesh, and a psychic street kid in Rifts named Danny Del Rios. I often play characters (Much to a GM's chagrin) that view combat as a last resort.
Non-Rpg Interests: I am currently working with a Seattle-based poet on a book of haiku comics that will be coming out next year. I love comic books and movies. I've been reading comics since I was a child. My mom used to work at the gas station and she would bring home Spiderman for me regularly. I was really into 90s indie comics like Tank Girl and Stray Bullets and Slave Labor stuff. I didn't really read a lot of superhero stuff back then, but there was so much other good stuff to read, it hardly mattered. Nowadays I'll read any comic that can hold my interest past the first couple issues. I am way more forgiving of boring art than I am of boring writing. My morning routine is a cup of coffee, the music for comics playlist and one-two single issues or a chapter from a graphic novel. My all time favorites re-readable comics include: Dark Knight Returns, Paper Girls, Chris Claremont's entire run on X-men and New Mutants, and of course, Watchmen. I tend to follow creators more than characters, although Storm and Kitty Pride are probably my favorite X-Men. My relationship with movies is pretty much the same, I love discovering a director that I'm unfamiliar with and taking a deep dive on their body of work. I don't watch a ton of tv, although, I do like a few sitcoms, telenovelas and soap operas.

This AMA will run until 25 August 2022.
Aug 18, 2022 8:15 am
Hi Justin!

Really cool to hear your first DM was your very own dad! Are there any things that he taught you (intentionally or not) about how to DM that carried over to your own DMing?
Aug 18, 2022 11:42 am
1) what's your favorite comic book artist (among those working in Marvel/DC/other mainstream titles)?

2) which mainstream superhero would you like to draw for a graphic novel or short run - if offered the opportunity?

3) I understand the effort of learning a new system, but given your proclivity for non-combat focused PCs, have you explored any narrative systems? Masks is a great superhero-themed rpg with focus on relationships and personal growth rather than combat.
Aug 18, 2022 1:51 pm
Tealed says:
Hi Justin!

Really cool to hear your first DM was your very own dad! Are there any things that he taught you (intentionally or not) about how to DM that carried over to your own DMing?
I think what my dad did really well is he never tipped his hand. Goals were made clear, and they weren't complicated. In that first game, we were picked up by rocs and dropped into a nest and the whole game just became about trying to get off the mountain. He also wasn't shy about playing NPCs.
Aug 18, 2022 2:16 pm
Aironfabio says:
1) what's your favorite comic book artist (among those working in Marvel/DC/other mainstream titles)?
Boy.... I like Mike Del Mundo he has a really cool painterly style, his work on WeirdWorld is pretty awesome. I like Chris Bachalo's cartoony/semi realistic style, I think his work on X-Men, Wolverine and the X-Men and Dr Strange are all stellar. I love the way Adriane Alphona draws fashion, Sean Philips for crime/noir/realism, I think Javier Rodriguez has awesome layouts, I haven't read anything he's worked on in a while, but I really liked his run on Spiderwoman....Honestly, I could probably go on forever. I like a lot of current artists, and I haven't even started with the old-timers
Aironfabio says:
2) which mainstream superhero would you like to draw for a graphic novel or short run - if offered the opportunity?
Oh wow, great question. I think Jubilee would be a lot of fun to draw, Spiderman as a teenager would be fun, but I think my final answer is going to be Ms Marvel. She has cool fashion sense in her civies, and her powers would be fun to illustrate as well, and maybe we could team her back up with LockJaw so I could throw him in there too.
Aironfabio says:
3) I understand the effort of learning a new system, but given your proclivity for non-combat focused PCs, have you explored any narrative systems? Masks is a great superhero-themed rpg with focus on relationships and personal growth rather than combat.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'd definitely be willing to give it a shot. I don't mind having a character who will inevitably find themselves in combat, I just don't like building characters who are cruising for a fight. I think that's one of the things I find appealing about Ms Marvel, she can dish out a beating, but she isn't going to feel great about it. Hurting other people, even bad guys, is conflicting with her values.
Aug 19, 2022 2:58 am
Do you have examples of your work anywhere? Pictures or it didn't happen!

There are quite a few people on Gamers Plane that like comics. We should start club or something. We do have a book club via Discord, but not a comic club.

What's a comic that you think is worth recommending to just about anyone?
Aug 19, 2022 4:43 am
Phil_Ozzy_Fer says:
Do you have examples of your work anywhere? Pictures or it didn't happen!
Sure. my website is www.justinrueff.com my instagram is @justinrueff
Phil_Ozzy_Fer says:
What's a comic that you think is worth recommending to just about anyone?
I know you said A comic recommendation, so I'm giving you three.

I already cited it in my intro, but I would definitely recommend Paper Girls to anyone who hasn't read it yet, and I think it would be a good one for a book club. It's certainly literary enough for a book club, a lot of the themes would make compelling conversation and it's all wrapped up in a totally fun Kids On Bikes adventure story.

Alex + Ada would be another one that has sci fi/literary themes. But maybe a little more niche, It's kinda like Ex Machina / Her. if you like to think about artificial intelligence and relationships.

Gotham Central - a police procedural set in Gotham City. Regular cops solving Batman level crimes. It's written by Ed Brubaker and Greg Rucka. One guy writes the night shift and the other guy writes the day shift. They've both written a ton of stellar stuff for Marvel, DC and Image and they're both kinda known for their work in the crime genre. The stories focus on the conflicts and relationships inside the police department as well as following the work of solving a crime.
Last edited August 19, 2022 4:46 am
Aug 26, 2022 3:15 pm
oh man, sorry I'm late to this one

What do movies and TV get wrong about your career/job?
How important is an art degree for someone that wants to get into an art focused career?
What's the first movie you remember seeing and thinking it was bad?
Aug 26, 2022 3:18 pm
TrustyJustin says:

Gotham Central - a police procedural set in Gotham City. Regular cops solving Batman level crimes. It's written by Ed Brubaker and Greg Rucka. One guy writes the night shift and the other guy writes the day shift. They've both written a ton of stellar stuff for Marvel, DC and Image and they're both kinda known for their work in the crime genre. The stories focus on the conflicts and relationships inside the police department as well as following the work of solving a crime.
One of my favorites as well. Absolutely loved this series and greatly disappointed the tv series Gotham didn't adapt this.
Aug 26, 2022 3:30 pm
What is your favorite dnd class to play and what was the first one you ever played as?

Also, who are your favorite streamed dnd dms online?

You do not have permission to post in this thread.