[5e]Interest thread for a game to be run later

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Aug 23, 2022 4:23 pm
Hello everyone,

I'm considering creating a campaign in my homebrew world within orc clans. Haven't even started figuring things out yet, such as what problems will be going on to solve, etc, but what I know I want to run so far:

Character options: Probably going to go with PHB, XGtE, TCoE, and Mordenkainen's. Either you're an orc or you've got a good reason you're hanging out/ working with the orc clans.

Tone: Not going grimdark, fun is allowed, but not going full Monty Python. Not real big on min-maxing, but if you can handle making an optimized character without becoming the "main character" or forgoing roleplay, feel free.

DM style: The couple games I've run have leaned a little more towards RP with combat thrown in, so combat is usually not the main focus of the campaign. I also try to keep options open in most cases where there isn't only one option to an issue.

House Rules I use: -Crits =max damage + another roll.
-Fumbles might be used at DM discretion, but in general, I'm not a fan of them.
-Monsters and/or NPC's won't always match the Monster Manual version (ie, AC for an orc won't always be 13, etc)

This isn't a recruiting thread, yet. I will post later based on interest. Let me know if you're interested and have any specific questions.
Last edited August 24, 2022 11:39 am
Aug 23, 2022 4:59 pm
This is interesting. I love me some orcs. Count me in.
Aug 23, 2022 9:20 pm
This sounds both different and interesting. I'm in.
Aug 23, 2022 9:27 pm
How do you intend to portray the orc clans? I like playing orcs/goblins/kobolds and such, but I mostly like them when they don't follow the normal tropes.
Last edited August 23, 2022 9:30 pm
Aug 23, 2022 11:07 pm
timplausible says:
How do you intend to portray the orc clans? I like playing orcs/goblins/kobolds and such, but I mostly like them when they don't follow the normal tropes.
I plan to include a few different groups, so they're not all the same, but the "stereotypical" orcs for my homebrew are accomplished smith's (arguably the best in the realm), artificers and engineers. They still value strength highly, outfitting most of their armies in heavy armor due to their size and natural strength.

They are not bloodthirsty, but because they also have learned to use artifice and even necromancy (to an extent) for uses like prosthetics and healing, they are looked down on by some in the faraway capital. They keep to themselves politically, but have no problems engaging with other people. They are on pretty good terms with their neighbors: dwarves (next to mountain orcs) and tieflings, Dragonborn and goblins (Island orcs).
Aug 23, 2022 11:28 pm
Would we all be from the same tribe or clan?
Aug 23, 2022 11:39 pm
You would all be working together, but could be from different clans. I think a lot of that stuff can be decided in a "Session Zero" thread. I'm thinking maybe it will be set around the time of the "Great War" my realm has, so if that's when I choose to set it, it's possible you end up as a group working to either help with the war, diplomacy to avoid fighting or form alliances, etc, or I could also see it being that you start as the "Home Guard" defending the home front while the "main heroes" are away. I know I'm personally not a "start from level 1" kind of guy, because classes don't really get interesting until 3 imho, but that could be a low level game if that's what people want.

On that topic, I normally start people at 3, but could be talked into something higher (like 5). For length, I'm thinking about trying to run an arc for 3-6 months and then seeing who wants to keep going.
Aug 23, 2022 11:57 pm
Count me in if you have a spot left :)
Aug 24, 2022 12:37 am
That all sounds awesome. I'd totally play in that game.
Aug 24, 2022 6:56 am
I have a Barbarian zealot in mind
Aug 24, 2022 7:45 am
I'd potentially play, if I have a spot in my dance card and you have a slot in your game
Aug 24, 2022 9:57 am
I would be interested too!
Aug 24, 2022 11:40 am
Sounds like there's interest. I'll try to figure out some more details as I have time/ energy and maybe scrabble some semblance of a plot together and post something for recruitment later.
Aug 24, 2022 2:22 pm
Put me down as interested as well.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.