Echoes of OOC

Aug 31, 2022 2:38 pm
A thread for out of character talk, witty comments, pseudo-funny memes, and general chat!

Feel free to hop in and say hello!
Aug 31, 2022 2:51 pm
Thanks for the Invite! Looking forward to the game.
Aug 31, 2022 4:25 pm
Hi everyone! Thanks for the invite, Seifi - let's have a wonderful time while our characters have a not-so wonderful time. :D
Sep 1, 2022 12:37 pm
A quick heads up to make sure everyone is on the same page - as mentioned in the Recruitment thread, I would love to run two groups and see how they affect each other's Heart through their actions!

It would seem that we have enough players for this, so we will probably create 2 groups with 3-4 players. Feel free to divide by any way you see fit - from relationships made during character creation, through shared callings (or ancestries?), to a common theme that you wish to explore.

If you are not sure about what you want to play, take a look at the ideas mentioned already and try to think of a best fit for one of the characters!
Sep 1, 2022 2:25 pm
Ah, I thought having ten players in one group might be a bit difficult, split parties sounds like a nice idea.

As an aside, I wonder what relation this duology has with the game Slay The Spire. For those not familiar, it's a roguelike card game where you go through a dungeon and past a city, to climb a Spire and slay a Heart. It could be coincidence, of course, but heck of a one!
Sep 2, 2022 7:38 am
Nice! Thanks for the invite!
Sep 2, 2022 11:05 am
testlum says:
As an aside, I wonder what relation this duology has with the game Slay The Spire. For those not familiar, it's a roguelike card game where you go through a dungeon and past a city, to climb a Spire and slay a Heart. It could be coincidence, of course, but heck of a one!
Oh my, I never realized that! But I guess it could have been used as an inspiration if we look at the developer's other games:
Unbound - literally the first quest you have in Skyrim (and also an intriguing game that I consider running in the future)
Hollows - essentially the developers' attempt to have a souls-like tabletop RPG and one of the key mechanics in Dark Souls
Sep 5, 2022 2:05 pm
Group 1 is go!! Excited! Let's all die horrible and agonizing deaths have fun exploring the Heart, guys! :D
Sep 5, 2022 3:00 pm
Tealed says:
Group 1 is go!! Excited! Let's all die horrible and agonizing deaths have fun exploring the Heart, guys! :D
Oh, there are fates worse than death here.
Sep 6, 2022 5:32 pm
Forgot to mention it: I'm okay with characters not using artwork or images! I know the pain of having a perfect mental image of your character but just not being able to find the right one. (I had to spend like 3 hours on pinterest just to find something that I liked for Sylfast...)
Sep 6, 2022 10:40 pm
Tealed says:
Forgot to mention it: I'm okay with characters not using artwork or images! I know the pain of having a perfect mental image of your character but just not being able to find the right one. (I had to spend like 3 hours on pinterest just to find something that I liked for Sylfast...)
I'm not sure how to express how much I sympathize with this uncommon sorrow, so I'll just resort to "Big Mood."

KCC

Sep 7, 2022 1:11 am
For me, it’s the opposite. I can’t even start until I find the right piece. Then it all clicks together. For this character, the art spoke to me as some kind of pathetic, miserable, moody High Elf. Why?

Well, betrayal. And the things he has to do just to survive and maybe one day get revenge.

https://i.imgur.com/HUhzRq2.jpg
Sep 8, 2022 9:22 am
KCC I just wanna point out this is EXACTLY what I imagine an aelfir of this world would look like! Neat!
Sep 8, 2022 10:31 am
Just wanna check if I've got the mechanics down for resolving a roll:

1. Player rolls d10s according to skills/domains/masteries.
2. d10 results adjusted based on difficulty.
3. Highest remaining d10 is used to determine success/failure. If less than 7, add stress (determined by threat).
4. GM rolls d12 and compares it to accumulated stress to check for fallout.
Sep 8, 2022 10:44 am
Aye. The domains are specified in the Delve description (Haven+Cursed), skill largely depends on what do you want to do (or more importantly: HOW do you want to do it!). Various skills can be used to achieve the same task.

Unless you guys try to do anything super crazy, all rolls are considered standard difficulty (no dice will be removed).
Sep 8, 2022 3:03 pm
I think I make sense of the rolls adding and/or subtracting d10s is like stacking advantages or disadvantages, with 1d10 being the base, with no modifiers of +2 or -1.

And with 50% chance to pass or fail, 10% to crit pass or fail, and a little more likelihood to get Stress.
Sep 8, 2022 10:03 pm
Yeup, no modifiers in Heart, only advantages and disadvantages!
Sep 12, 2022 12:34 pm
Our first delve and already two characters suffering fallout. The Heart is a cruel master indeed.
Sep 13, 2022 1:36 am
Idk if its our luck, or that gaining Fallout is easier than I thought.
Anyways, I am thinking if my description of my weapon being a dagger with teeth is more Cursed domain than Occult. If so, then I'll retcon it to be having runes decorating it instead.
Sep 13, 2022 9:24 am
Honestly I would say that the dice are all over the place, BUT skills and domains DO play a big role here.

In my game of Spire, a character managed to get through 3 different rolls with accruing only a single point of Mind stress and then proceeded to knock another PC out of combat within 2 rolls. I'm pretty sure that this is because the player usually found a way to use his skills and domains, one of the d10s usually saved him.

That said, if you feel that it is not worth it to go for a roll in the future, feel free to let others step in. They may accrue stress, but hey, maybe you can shine later on with your particular skillset!
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.