Book 2, Chapter 2: Symptoms of the Plague

Sep 7, 2022 9:44 am
After a bit of downtime and several drinks in Korvosa's establishments, the group reconvenes at their unofficial headquarters of Zellara's Hut to decide their course of action while they wait for Field Marshall Kressida Kroft to inform them about investigating the shipwreck.
OOC:
Up to you what's next, the two major leads you've picked up is what Abe heard from Zuuna about Ruan's fate at the Carowyn Manor and the stories Tider heard in regards to wererats in the sewers.
Sep 7, 2022 7:06 pm
"So, what's next," Kayden says leaning back on a chair while throwing an apple to Caesar. "Between vampires and what you've told me off the necromancer's lair, wererats don't sound so strange. And people going down in the sewers will get 'em killed."

"Anyone know how to fight a wererat?"
Sep 7, 2022 8:02 pm
Brackit similarly sits at the table, opposite Kayden, chewing on some bread and cheese. He considers Kayden's question.
OOC:
Rolling Knowledge below to see what Brackit knows about Were-creatures. +9 if Arcana, +15 if Local (not sure if based on type or subtype in this case)

Rolls

Knowledge - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Sep 7, 2022 11:16 pm
Brackit's heard stories about the curse of lycanthropy, but that seems to mostly concern its origin, because word has it if you get bitten by one, you might get turned, so it spreads more like a disease. Were-rats in particular are said to share a lot of common traits with that animal, from its choice of habitat and demeanor to being a host of various diseases, which might be why people blame them for Blood Veil.

There seems to be a lot less common ground when it comes to killing them though. Some claim only silvered weapons affect these shapechangers. Other tales insist mundane weapons will do the trick, as long as you hit hard and fast enough before the shapeshifting results in the flesh melding back together. Then some say it's all fiction and were-creatures are just like humans, just really tough and protected (like were-bears) or evasive (like were-rats).
Sep 7, 2022 11:44 pm
"Silver weapons. Huh."

Harragh eyes his earthbreaker. "This won't be easy. Maybe we can get some o' that silversheen instead. Might do in a pinch. Anyway, it looks like we've made our decision. Sewers it is. It does seem to be the likely source of this plague."
OOC:
ooc Are we able to buy silversheen before we leave? Also I really have no idea how much money my character has, does anyone have an idea?
Last edited September 7, 2022 11:45 pm
Sep 8, 2022 11:03 am
"I should be able to afford some silver arrows if nothing else," Kayden says. "Though don't seem to be the most usual shopping list. And won't help Caesar's claws. So you stay back big guy. Don't want a wererat-bear on our hands.... or will it be bear-wererat?"
Sep 8, 2022 12:03 pm
Harragh chuckles, before the realization of what they are about to attempt sobers him.

"Aye we should stay at range as best we can. It will be dark, close quarters fighting in there, and we have no idea how many of these rats there are. Are they intelligent and organised? Should we expect traps? What sort of tactics will they employ? I fear we are walking in somwhat blind. On our side of course is that they dont know we are coming. That's something I guess."

"How deep do these sewers get? I wont be able to swim in my mail, and should we be worried about other diseases, not even including blood veil?"

He trails off to silence, standing and pondering the sort of trouble they were diving in to.
Sep 8, 2022 2:52 pm
"My skills lie not in the wielding of blade or bone, but in flinging sorcery learnt by tome." He winks at Brackit for his weak rhyme. "I suspect magical might should also prevail against those shifty weasels."
Sep 8, 2022 7:50 pm
Brackit chuckles and lifts an eyebrow at Abe. "Nice," he says.

"I suspect as much as well, Abe. But yes, silversheen or other silvered weapons are a good idea. As would be something to help protect against disease - though those are not likely to come cheap with Blood Veil going around. I will look for some silver arrows as well. Mayhaps, Kayden, we'll seek out a fletcher before we venture into forth?"

"As for the sewers, I suspect they're typical sewer depth for a city as old as snot. It could get confusing and maze-like down there. We'll want to be mindful of that."
OOC:
Brackit will also look for some silver arrows.
Last edited September 8, 2022 8:15 pm
Sep 8, 2022 10:28 pm
"Perhaps we could contact the city guard for the loan of a few weapons for a day or two? I do feel that for the good of the city, they would see the wisdom in it. We've proven ourselves reliable and trustworthy. I believe I will ask for their aid."
OOC:
I seem to recall we have friends in the guard that may help us?
Sep 8, 2022 10:37 pm
"Hmm, that's a great plan, Gray! Worth a shot anyways. Let's try there first - they're sure to have some silvered weapons on hand they could loan us."
Sep 9, 2022 10:18 am
The group returns to Citadel Volshyenek to make their request and are directed towards the armory. Finding some silvered daggers and a few arrows is no big deal, but the only larger weapons available are a couple of silvered longswords. Those willing to stick to their main melee weapons of choice will have to use silversheen, which sadly isn't readily available, so they'll have to go out shopping. Fortunately though, a couple of supplier names are mentioned, guaranteeing fair prices (considering Korvosa's current situation) and no raised eyebrows when asked to provide the alchemical substance.
OOC:
You can get up to 2 silver daggers each, a total of 20 silver arrows and 2 longswords from the Guard. I also seem to remember Tider had borrowed another item from the armory before, but can't quite recall what. Other than that, you can spend coin to purchase silversheen from a merchant in the city.
Once all the equipping is done, the party reconvenes at Zellara's home, only to find a piece of paper that apparently has been slipped under the door in their absence.

If silence is gold
and the blade is silver,
knowledge is platinum

Bailer's Retreat, sunset. Ask for Auntie Eyries
Sep 9, 2022 10:42 am
Harragh feels that his huge earthbreaker would not be particularly suitable in the camped sewers. He selects a silver longsword, gives it a few test swings, wielded in two hands.

"It will do. The tool is less important than the strength of your faith. We shall return once this threat has been disposed of, you have our thanks."

Back at Zellaras

Having read the note. Harragh is concerned. It seems wherever they go others are a step ahead.

"Do any of you know of this 'Auntie Eyries'? Or this Bailers Retreat? We are being lead around by the nose. I dont like it."
Sep 9, 2022 1:43 pm
"No clue," Kayden shrugs his shoulders. "But if we go in expecting a hideous trap we can only be positively surprised."
Sep 9, 2022 6:50 pm
Abe stuffs the silver dagger in his belt, and when his turn at the note come, he says, "Either they have inside information from the guard, which would be easy, although they got it fast. Or, they know we were being lead toward the sewers." He wonders where Zuuna got her information, maybe it was a long game.
Sep 9, 2022 8:33 pm
Brackit takes the arrows and splits them between him and Kayden.

At Zellaras, he adds, "Whoever it is, they seem to know something about the were-creatures, or at least our task to look into them. 'The blade is silver', that line is not a coincidence I think. Hmm...Auntie Eyries..."
OOC:
Kn: Local check to know about anyone in the city that goes by that name.
Last edited September 9, 2022 8:34 pm

Rolls

Kn: Local - (1d20+15)

(9) + 15 = 24

Sep 11, 2022 5:24 pm
OOC:
The name doesn't seem to ring any bells for Brackit
Sep 11, 2022 7:14 pm
"...yeah, the name doesn't ring any bells. And I know a lot of people in this city, or at least know of them. Considering they know where we're sleepin', I say we attend this little rendevous and see who it is we're dealing with."
Sep 11, 2022 10:21 pm
OOC:
So sorry, I didn't get these notifications!!!! I feel bad! i missed a few good one liners! The weapon I borrowed from the armory was a shortbow
Tider snags a few of those siliver arrows and puts it in his quiver. "Does anyone else think its weird, that right as we go looking for silver, someone puts a note on our door saying they got silver? I don't know, feels like a strangely targeted advertisement." Are there more of these notices around?
Sep 12, 2022 1:29 am
Harragh nods agreement, picking at his left tusk, deep in thought.

"Strange, but it sounds helpful, rather than ominous. Or perhaps my optimism is overriding my sense. I wonder if we could find out who left it before we wander into something we cant wander out of. Any neighbours see anything you think?"
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.