Big cons?

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Feb 10, 2015 5:00 pm
Anyone going to big (or small) conventions? I will be at GenCon and submitted four Numenera games.

Grandmaster Jim
Feb 10, 2015 5:11 pm
Nice! I opted to skip GenCon this year; I'll most likely be at Origins though. I have, waaaay back on the list, a feature to add: a easy to search con list, by location/type/size/etc.
Feb 10, 2015 7:21 pm
Hullo, folks,

I'll be at GenCon this year, and may be running something there, either Primeval or River of Heaven.

Other than that, just the local gaming convention here in Ottawa, CanGames.
Last edited February 10, 2015 7:21 pm
Jun 11, 2015 2:36 pm
@ Grandmaster
I'll be at GenCon again this year. I usually sign up for the systems and games I can't play with my local gaming group. Currently in a Numenera game (Started off as a The Strange setting game but ran out of content) myself interesting being a "noncombat monkey" in this setting.

@ Keleth
Origins is a very different beast than GenCon I think.
Jun 11, 2015 2:50 pm
Yah, best as I know, GenCon is more about industry news, Origins being less so.
Jun 11, 2015 8:40 pm
I guess it can be if you schedule for that sort of thing (not part of the press so I have no idea what goes on besides knowing there's a room set up for podcasters to record in one of the hotels since I snoop) and are part of the press, and such. There are new games releases/Gen Con editions of games, and people interviewing game industry big wigs to see what they're doing, what's coming out, and such so there's podcast crews and youtubers interviewing people all four days even just your average congoer, plus the Tabletop Deathmatch is back again this year. And Wednesday before the con is Trade day I think for industry stuff.

After going to GenCon for 3 years this being my 4th I've been able to play various RPGs (WoD, Shadowrun 5th, CoC 6th, Ubiquity, Ashen Stars, Night's Black Agent, 13th Age, Numenera, L5R, and several homebrew systems, and indie ones like Hismati and Dread.. last one sucked D= I hate *wood block game that will not be named plus cheaters*), and been able to demo a lot of board and card games I probably wouldn't have played or known about, bought more obligatory dice 'I really needed'. Tried out LARPs (I have found I don't like the one's where I don't need to sit down afterwards and drink Gatorade as much I guess I'm getting old and out of shape, also always stretch before and after if it was physical). Gone to dinners, dances, raves, and get togethers, this year I'll be checking out the cosplay parade for the first time as well as trying out cosplaying myself plus the battletech pods.

Still after four years of trying to scratch off stuff on my bucket list that I started the after the first year in '12 I'm almost about 1/3 done with all of the things I want to try, and if I find something I like I might try it again the following year plus other people tell you about cool stuff they've tried out so the list is always growing. And the food! Random fact I know after last year I like Thai Tea Popsicles now. I don't like beer myself but if I did like it... And the Beer! I forget what the GenCon 2015 beer is that they're making (Sun King's Brewery) is called.

Also getting to meet gamers from all over the states plus a few from Germany, Brazil, Japan, New Zealand is pretty sweet.

Granted you might catch the con crude around 65k+ other gamers, your feet might heart from walking several miles a day (or running if you're constantly late), and you might not eat healthy for a long weekend, and it's a Nat 20 to your wallet but I honestly gotta say it's a lot of fun I think.

My apologies for the sea of text. V.V
Last edited June 11, 2015 8:40 pm
Jun 11, 2015 9:18 pm
Yah, I know there's a lot more new stuff at GenCon, which is really cool. If I'm lucky, maybe I'll be there next year? I'm hoping some people will volunteer to take a Gamers' Plane shirt (see here), or at the least, help spread the word :p

Either way, I'm excited to hear what comes out of GenCon.
Jun 17, 2015 11:49 am
I've made characters for nWoD and SW but haven't really started playing yet so I don't think I can explain the vibe of the site and the flow of a game much if people asked me what about that for the most part I could only comment about general stuff like forum layout and ease of use getting started. *Shrugs* I figure an old hat on the forum would probably do a better job of promoting.
Jul 7, 2015 2:23 pm
I'm pretty sure this will be the last year my wife and I will have a booth at Gen Con. We sell stuffed animals and unfortunately are being priced out. Every year they raise the price of booths.

I'll be off in the board game hall most of the time running Sherlock Holmes and Cthulhu story games. Got a nice map of London and a bunch of pretty minis to push around.

Gen Con is so big though that you can't really do everything. Have to narrow down on a few things and let the rest float by. It is still a great show though. Maybe in the future I'll add in Historicon. Never been, heard it is the best miniatures game con.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.