Warlock! Character Generation

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Sep 18, 2022 6:51 pm
Step 1: Create Your Character Sheet

Create a character by unfolding the sheet below, clicking "create character" at the top right, then head for Step 2.
[ +- ] Warlock! Character Sheet
Once the sheet is created, you'll need to 'edit' it to add a picture, but otherwise you can add what you need to the sheet by simply clicking in the right text fields. It'll look something like this when you are done:
[ +- ] Sample Completed Warlock! Character Sheet

Step 2: Set Your Beginning Skills

Set your beginning skills. Set ten skills to 6, ten to 5, and the rest a t 4. (Maximums will be that same value until we get into career skills in Step 6.)
Step 3: Determine Stamina, Luck, and Pluck

Roll 2d6+12 to determine your Stamina score, then roll 1d6+7 to determine your Luck score. Set Pluck at 20 minus your Luck score.
Step 4: Select a Community

Pick the community you come from -- Human, Elf, Dwarf, Halfling. (I'd be happiest with an all-human party since we're not using the specific non-human careers in Compendium 1 and elsewhere, but people are free to choose as they want here. Be aware there are no mechanical benefits.)
Step 5: Roll for a Career

Roll 1d6 five times -- that'll produce five different careers for you to pick from... so after rolling, choose one to proceed with. (I'm using the Black Edition of the game, which includes the Kingdom Book and an additional six careers based on the city of Grim Biskerstaf.)

Each career has listed equipment and two additional d6 tables to roll on. Feel free to roll on those tables, roll twice on each and choose the results you like, or just pick the most interesting entry from each table.

Note that I'll walk folks through this step if need be -- for those that don't have the book, for example.
Step 6: Set Your Career Skills

Each career comes with five skills -- spread 10 points among them, then look at the lowest of those five... that's your Career Skill level in the given career. When editing your sheet, remember to adjust your maximums, to 10 or 12 depending on what the career says. These are the only skills you can improve while in this career.
Step 7: Set Your Basic Equipment

Set your basic equipment -- 2d6 silver coins, backpack, 1d3 days rations, water skin, eating knife, clothes and boots.

KCC

Sep 20, 2022 5:22 am
Hey, all! Nice to be hear! Just going to roll for these careers to start. Just to get an idea for character art!

Harrigan will have to assist with the fifth and final career, as I don’t have the Kingdom book!

Bodyguard,
Footpad,
Raconteur,
Thief.
Last edited September 20, 2022 5:26 am

Rolls

5d6

(41645) = 20

Stamina - (2d6+12)

(55) + 12 = 22

Luck - (1d6+7)

(4) + 7 = 11

What/Who I’ve robbed? - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Who wants me dead? - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Who wants me dead? - (1d6)

(5) = 5

2d6

(43) = 7

1d3

(2) = 2

Sep 20, 2022 5:36 am
KCC -- you also have the option of playing a Publican.
Quote:
Working at an inn, that's the life. Always someone to chat to, songs and laughter, and the ale flowing. You've never wanted anything else. True, it's not easy, and there are always folks who seem to want a fight, but a quick tickle with the club and all's well again.
You'd start with a apron, a beer mug, a small cask (somehow always full), a cudgel and a smile.

Len

Sep 20, 2022 6:14 am
Hello everyone! Thanks for having me. Let's roll dem bones...

Skill picks recorded in this work-in-progress character sheet.

Stamina: 22
Luck: 10
Pluck: 10

Community: Human

Careers: (4) Bodyguard, (2) Gambler, (6) Racontuer, (2) Road Warden, (6) Servant (@Harrigan when you get a chance please tell me about this fifth career option! Thanks! )

Road Warden Specifics:
Places I've been: The Pomperburg road, full of deserters.
Things I have seen: A dragon, flying high above luckily!

4 silver coins, 2 days' rations
Last edited September 20, 2022 11:48 pm

Rolls

Stamina - (2d6+12)

(64) + 12 = 22

Luck - (1d6+7)

(3) + 7 = 10

Career dice - (5d6)

(42626) = 20

Where have I been? - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Things I have seen - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Coins - (2d6)

(13) = 4

Rations - (1d3)

(2) = 2

Sep 20, 2022 6:34 am
Welcome, Len!

Your fifth career choice is Servant.
https://i.imgur.com/YyThqUP.png
https://i.imgur.com/MMJRlBZ.png

KCC

Sep 20, 2022 10:07 am
@Len, so you went with a Road Warden, right? While my natural inclination is to play a Bodyguard, I think I always play a kind of gruff, rough and tumble character.

So maybe I might play against type and play a thief. Footpad seems a little coarse to be hanging out with a Road Warden. But maybe a thief has loftier goals (see: targets). The honest thief that never did a thing wrong in his life!

"Can you believe it? Some poor sod left their coin purse behind them! I’ll hold onto it until I see them again…"
[ +- ] Too Ugly for a Bodyguard?
[ +- ] Possible Thieves
Last edited September 20, 2022 11:17 am
Sep 20, 2022 1:19 pm
Let's get this wagon rolling!

Attributes
Stamina 17
Luck 13
Pluck 7

Community
Human Dwarf!

Careers
Agitator
Initiate
Miner
Rat Catcher
Servant? Same roll as Len.

Initiate Specifics
Who is your god? The Dragon, power incarnate.
What is your personal creed? Love is false, only death is absolute.

Starting Spell
Unlock
OOC:
Given that worship of the Dragon is illegal, though it is known that dwarves are often worshippers (likely out of necessity), I'm opting to be a Dwarf for this game! Perhaps that'll help others overlook his deity, and instead focus on how he's a filthy dorf!
Last edited September 20, 2022 2:04 pm

Rolls

Stamina - (2d6+12)

(23) + 12 = 17

Luck - (1d6+7)

(6) + 7 = 13

Career - (5d6)

(15216) = 15

Who is your God? - (1d6)

(4) = 4

What is your personal creed? - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Starting spell - (1d6, 1d6)

1d6 : (6) = 6

1d6 : (4) = 4

What is your God/Personal Creed (take two) - (1d6, 1d6)

1d6 : (6) = 6

1d6 : (1) = 1

Silver Coins - (2d6)

(46) = 10

Rations - (1d3)

(1) = 1

Sep 20, 2022 3:16 pm
Thinking of how this character fits in, I'm sure a Thief would appreciate having someone around who can magically unlock tricky mechanisms. I imagine the dwarf is also a never do well, due to his worship of an illegal religion. He likely tries to spend time with other folks who don't want to get arrested for their own reasons.

As for the Road Warden, I imagine the dwarf seeks out those who have seen a dragon. It's a good omen, in his eyes, leading him to riches and power (or so he believes).

Len

Sep 20, 2022 3:30 pm
KCC says:
Len, so you went with a Road Warden, right? While my natural inclination is to play a Bodyguard, I think I always play a kind of gruff, rough and tumble character.

So maybe I might play against type and play a thief. Footpad seems a little coarse to be hanging out with a Road Warden. But maybe a thief has loftier goals (see: targets). The honest thief that never did a thing wrong in his life!

"Can you believe it? Some poor sod left their coin purse behind them! I’ll hold onto it until I see them again…"
Amazing art!

I can be flexible with backgrounds if people feel a Road Warden clashes with their concepts or steps on somebody's toes. I don't think Road Wardens are like paladins though. My reading of them is that they're like a (severely underfunded) security force that deal with mostly non-human threats (unmen, goblins, etc) and bandit gangs. They wouldn't lift a finger over a human lawbreaker (except maybe deserters and highwaymen), and he'd be happy to share a campfire with a footpad or thief if they increase his odds of survival. I can see the Road Wardens being plenty comfortable 'bending' the law themselves, confiscating gear and supplies from jerks - an unofficial "asshole tax" :D

Len

Sep 20, 2022 3:48 pm
cowleyc says:
As for the Road Warden, I imagine the dwarf seeks out those who have seen a dragon. It's a good omen, in his eyes, leading him to riches and power (or so he believes).
The Road Warden would find that pretty funny, because riches and power are not something he's ever even had a sniff of. Not sure on Road Warden's religious stance yet.

The Dwarf and the Road Warden would also see eye to eye on the Dwarf's creed - Love is false, only death is absolute. Sounds like they're both pragmatic survivors. So, I think they'd make easy allies. The Road Warden doesn't carry a 'filthy dorf' type of attitude; anyone who contributes to his odds of survival are welcome to share his campfire.
Last edited September 20, 2022 3:48 pm
Sep 20, 2022 5:51 pm
Let's roll 'em...

Stamina: 15
Luck: 9
Pluck: 11

Community: Human

Careers:
(6) Entertainer
(4) Hunter
(6) Raconteur
(4) Thief

(2) Fish Warden

Where do I work?
(2) The docks, when I can.

What have I caught?
(5) A corpse, a Guard's man.
Last edited September 20, 2022 7:18 pm

Rolls

Stamina - (2d6+12)

(21) + 12 = 15

Luck - (1d6+7)

(2) + 7 = 9

Careers - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Other careers - (4d6)

(4642) = 16

Where do I work? - (1d6)

(2) = 2

What have I caught? - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Sep 20, 2022 6:16 pm
In case everyone doesn’t have the book (either edition, the differences are fairly minor other than layout and art), I’ll be posting some key passages in the days ahead — about the mechanics, and about the setting. The TL;DR is that The Kingdom has just been through a civil war. Great, pitched battles were fought between the king’s forces and those of the traitor," who in the end revealed himself to be allied with demons, witches and worse.

The (basically medieval, walled) towns are overpopulated cesspools, but are bastions of light in their own way against the wilds and the creatures that inhabit them. Goblins, giants, and unmen (beast men) rove the land, and corruption, blight and demonic taint can be found everywhere, remnants of the Traitor’s defeated forces.

More to come.
Sep 20, 2022 6:20 pm
Jabes, #2 from the Kingdom book is…

FISH WARDEN

Blunt 10, Repair 10, Thrown 10
Endurance 12, Navigation 12, Swimming 12
(Those are maxes, remember, not starting values)

You uphold a proud tradition of fishing the waters of the mighty river and going out on the estuary. It's you and your kind that feed the city, at least the poor anyway. It's been a good way of life for you, at least it was. Now someone is poisoning the river, and the fish are... strange. You blame the Dockers, but you've seen the fish-heads too.

Equipment: All-weather clothes, a waterproof hat, a fishing line or net, a gutting knife, a cudgel tostun the fish, a map of the waterways.

Where do you work? (roll 1d6)

1. The fishing boat 'The Merry Lord'.
2. The docks, when you can.
3. Out in the estuary, on the mud.
4. On the sea vessel 'Tassenhorst'.
5. Kellebrik, least you did!
6. In the gutting house, preparing fish.

What have you caught? (roll 1d6)
1. A pike the length of a man.
2. An eel with a woman's face.
3. A fish-headed man - he wasn't happy.
4. A Mirrorfish, worth a small fortune.
5. A corpse, a Guard's man.
6. Nothing but a cold and bad luck.
Sep 20, 2022 6:55 pm
Entertainer and Raconteur don't appeal to me. KCC's playing Thief. Hunter...hmm... Fish Warden?! Now that's something I've never played before! Now to go fishing for character art!
Sep 20, 2022 8:57 pm
Don’t have access to it at the moment, but the Black Edition of the book has character art for every profession. I’ll check out the Fish Warden tonight…
Sep 20, 2022 9:09 pm
I'll start with the rolls as well...

Stamina: 21
Luck: 12
Pluck: 8

Potential Careers

Gotta be an: AGITATOR
Gambler
Militiaman
Thief
Fish Warden?

Who you've worked for: The Cult of the Stag
OOC:
I'm thinking, since cowleyc is an Initiate of the Dragon, maybe my guy could've been hired to agitate on behalf of this proscribed religion instead? It would provide an easy character connection.
Who's hunting you: You don't know. Which is worrying.
Last edited September 20, 2022 9:31 pm

Rolls

Stamina - (2d6+12)

(36) + 12 = 21

Luck - (1d6+7)

(5) + 7 = 12

Careers - (5d6)

(12142) = 10

Who you've worked for. - (1d6)

(3) = 3

Who's hunting you? - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Sep 20, 2022 9:52 pm
Ciriaco says:
OOC:
I'm thinking, since cowleyc is an Initiate of the Dragon, maybe my guy could've been hired to agitate on behalf of this proscribed religion instead? It would provide an easy character connection.
Given that the worship of the Dragon is illegal, I can't imagine Rausimod is hiring folks to spread the word! But maybe to spark rebellion against the other faiths!
Sep 20, 2022 11:15 pm
cowleyc says:
Given that the worship of the Dragon is illegal, I can't imagine Rausimod is hiring folks to spread the word! But maybe to spark rebellion against the other faiths!
"Maybe worship of the Dragon shouldn't be illegal! Not that I worship the Dragon myself. I'm a humble and law-abiding man, like all of you. I'm just asking a question. Why can we worship all of these other gods, but not the Dragon? I mean, the Red King is literally the god of blood and death, and yet there's his ugly mug leering at you from every street corner. But for some reason, these high priests won't let people like us learn anything about the Dragon. What don't they want us to know?"
Last edited September 20, 2022 11:17 pm
Sep 20, 2022 11:22 pm
"Ten secret facts about the Dragon that the oligarchy doesn't want you to know!"
Sep 20, 2022 11:29 pm
1. In one of its aspects, the Dragon is, in fact, the patron deity of candy.

Okay, I'll stop now. But I think it could work!

KCC

Sep 21, 2022 12:07 am
@Jabes.plays.RPG Absolutely willing to part with thief if it’s something you’d enjoy. I also have the Footpad, which isn’t a million miles away. Or the bodyguard, of course.

Happy either way!
Sep 21, 2022 4:47 am
https://i.imgur.com/QYDGs4f.jpg

The Fish Warden!
Sep 21, 2022 4:55 am
So, apologies -- have pounding headache tonight and won't be getting as much done on this game as I'd hoped, but summing up we have:

cowleyc: Dwarven Initiate
Ciriaco: Human Agitator
Jabes: Fish Warden?
KCC: Thief?
Len: Human Road Warden

Look right so far? Anything I can help with to get things finalized?

For those filling out and submitting character sheets, thanks, getting those accepted and will have a more careful look over them tomorrow. No questions about the rest of chargen, the skills and such? Sheet working okay?

KCC

Sep 21, 2022 9:49 am
Who are the Cult of the Stag, and what do they want??

You mess with the Bull Stag, you get the horns antlers…
Sep 21, 2022 12:39 pm
KCC says:
@Jabes.plays.RPG Absolutely willing to part with thief if it’s something you’d enjoy. I also have the Footpad, which isn’t a million miles away. Or the bodyguard, of course.

Happy either way!
Thanks, but I quite like the novelty of the Fish Warden concept. 🎣🤠👍
[ +- ] Some character art
Sep 21, 2022 1:19 pm
KCC says:
Who are the Cult of the Stag, and what do they want??

You mess with the Bull Stag, you get the horns antlers…
I've been thinking that since cowleyc is playing an initiate and we're looking for character connections, I may switch 'Stag' out for 'Dragon' if Harrigan doesn't mind.

Len

Sep 21, 2022 3:54 pm
Harrigan says:
Len: Human Road Warden
Yep, looks good. No worries about taking your time, gives me more time to endlessly search for character art :D And read about the world, too. Hope you feel better soon.
Sep 21, 2022 11:08 pm
All good on that switch, Ciri — and the same holds true for other minor elements people want to switch up. Love that character art, Jabes!
Sep 22, 2022 1:40 pm
I just recently replayed part of the Dark Eye: Blackguards video game, and it has a paranoid dwarf who is always muttering about dragons. I'm definitely feeling inspired by that.

I'm thinking Rausimod might blame everything on dragons, believe everything is tied to dragons, and think every scaled monster is a dragon. Dragon with a little d, not capital, if that makes any sense. Not going overboard with it, I hope, but be prepared for your characters to be accused of being in league with dragons...

Foghorn

Jabes.plays.RPG

Sep 22, 2022 1:53 pm
Foghorn

"Boy, I say, boy, is this sort of silliness alright, or does it not fit the tone you're going for?"
Last edited September 23, 2022 5:08 am
Sep 22, 2022 1:59 pm
"Ye've been consortin' with them sea drakes again, haven't ye?"

"...you mean fishing?"
Sep 22, 2022 4:21 pm
Quote:
Each career comes with five skills -- spread 10 points among them... 
Are those added to the 4 that's already there?
Sep 22, 2022 7:56 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Quote:
Each career comes with five skills -- spread 10 points among them... 
Are those added to the 4 that's already there?
Yes. Well, really, added to the 4, 5, or 6.

All skills start at 4. In Step 2, at the top of this thread, you assign ten skills at 6, ten at 5, then leave the rest at 4. Then, in Step 6, you add ten points across your 5-6 career skills.

E.g., you could decide to mark Swimming at 6 in Step 2, for example, then spend 4pts in Step 10 and raise it to 10. Make sense?
Sep 22, 2022 10:54 pm
https://i.imgur.com/a4psXTi.png

I've decided my Road Warden will be a woman named Trusova. Adding descriptors: Audacious, Pragmatic, Optimistic

"I wanted to live the life, a different life. I didn’t want to go to the same place every day and see the same people and do the same job. I wanted interesting challenges. So, I enlisted with the Road Wardens, heh. Damn, but I learned to be careful what you wish for."
OOC:
The first part of that text is actually a quote from Harrison Ford :D But it seems like it fit
Last edited September 22, 2022 11:04 pm
Sep 23, 2022 4:12 am
Quote:
All skills start at 4. In Step 2, at the top of this thread, you assign ten skills at 6, ten at 5, then leave the rest at 4. Then, in Step 6, you add ten points across your 5-6 career skills.
Haha! I'm sorry, I realize now that my brain skipped Step 2 and went straight to Step 6. 😅

KCC

Sep 23, 2022 4:14 am
"That Rubrix is a crook. And I should know; like knows like."
Sep 23, 2022 5:02 am
Cool, Len, and no worries, Jabes! Submit that character when you can and we'll be almost ready to roll. Should see the first post out this weekend.

Get all your (amusing) colored and fonted dialog text out here, KCC, because there will be none of that in the game. =]
Added some entries to the Gazetteer for anyone wanting to know a little more about The Kingdom or the city of Grim Biskerstaf. Forgive typos (which Saunders is well-known for) and copy/paste errors on my part!

Foghorn

Jabes.plays.RPG

Sep 23, 2022 5:09 am
Foghorn
"Boy, I say, boy, is this sort of silliness alright, or does it not fit the tone you're going for?"
Last edited September 23, 2022 5:09 am

KCC

Sep 23, 2022 5:42 am
Boo! I just read multiple walls of silly font!

"Lordlings can give it, but they can’t take it, I always say!"
Sep 23, 2022 5:54 am
Heh. I strongly considered not doing that, but this game seems to be the right game to be a hypocrite in... ;)
Sep 23, 2022 1:54 pm
I don't want to clutter up the gazetteer thread, but are there any notes on where a dwarf might come from? Based on the starting city, the Cragheart Mountains seem reasonable.
Sep 23, 2022 9:33 pm
When you get right down to it, only only place is called out as having a dwarven kingdom -- the Blackspine Mountains, east of the city of Rebec (in the north), and north of the Golden Cave. Kingdom has this to say:

To the north east of the Evening Lands, the Black Spine Mountains are tall, rugged and largely unexplored. Their peaks soar far above the plains that surround them, perpetually coated in a layer of ice and snow that catches the rays of the sun in a dazzling glow. Within the mountains, goblin and dwarves have their realms - explorers say that if you wander the wrong paths in the mountains you'll wind up in a land of endless peaks where dwarves and goblins fight never-ending battles under a red sun. Bordering on the Kingdom the most noted goblin realm is called Blazzak, home to the clans under the leadership of King Grazzil that have menaced the city of Rebeck on many occasions. Currently the goblins are in an uneasy truce with the Kingdom, which invariably is a result of them directing their antagonism towards the dwarves, such that the tunnels of the mountains ring with their battles. The dwarven realm they fight with is called Fireheart, led by Queen Darrum, also in the Black Spine Mountains. The dwarves are friendly to Fesselmark but keep themselves to themselves, having the typical stoic demeanour of the less travelled of their kind.

Any mountains are a possibility (including some we invent), though I'll note that the Cragtops specifically are known for once being the realm of Livenscar, where mad wizards over-reached and summoned forces they could not control. The mountains were shattered and corrupted, and the place remains blighted and damned to his day. Honheim, the city in the southeast, was built too close to the Cragtops and eventually paid the price -- two hundred years ago it was destroyed by marauding unmen from the Cragtops.

That help?
Sep 23, 2022 9:34 pm
Thinking -- there could be an ancient dwarven kingdoms in the Cragtops that was ruined centuries ago, or is rumored to still hold out against the demons and wickedness that still dwell in those mountains, cut off from the rest of the world...
Sep 25, 2022 2:55 pm
It's not a deal-breaker for me either way, just helps me come up with a more complex character. Fireheart sounds like a great home!
Oct 2, 2022 2:43 pm
Realized I forgot to roll for Banio's starting money and rations...

Rolls

Starting Silver Coins - (2d6)

(36) = 9

Starting Food - (1d3)

(1) = 1

Oct 2, 2022 4:43 pm
Oh yeah me too!

Rolls

Starting Silver Coins - (2d6)

(45) = 9

Starting Food - (1d3)

(1) = 1

KCC

Apr 16, 2023 2:16 am
For some future maybe-time!

Rolls

Careers - (5d6)

(35663) = 23

Apr 16, 2023 3:49 am
Heh, creating a new PC? Love it. We might come back to this once we wrap it up. I've loved it!

Len

Apr 16, 2023 4:02 am
I originally imagined that one of Trusova's character arcs would be complete when she switched out of the Road Warden career and into a more criminal-oriented career. I might level her up just to complete that thought, even if we don't continue.

Len

Apr 16, 2023 4:26 am
I just read over the rules and noticed switching careers isn't that simple, so maybe I'll just leave it for now 😜
Apr 16, 2023 4:50 pm
It's actually really easy -- you just have to spend five advances to switch. Each advantage can otherwise be used to improve a career skill, up to a max of 12 for standard careers...
Apr 16, 2023 5:52 pm
Right, but I don't think we're getting 5 advances at the end of this adventure, based on the book's suggestion of rewarding 1-3 per adventure. And that's okay, she's still more road warden than outlaw or tomb robber or thief or whatever at the moment.
Apr 16, 2023 11:58 pm
Fair, but it's 1-3 advances per session. I was thinking this was at least three sessions of play. But let's finish it off, then we'll see!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.