Gamersplane Con

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jul 10, 2016 2:41 pm
There are multiple online cons available for people who like such things. Twitchcon, Aethercon, Roll20con, ConTessa... But what would a Play-By-Post Con look like? I'd love to spitball this will you all, and see if there is something we could try out.

I think what would make it a Con is: public participation over a short time frame.

Possible implementations could include some or all of the following:
1) Online sessions of existing games - games could be played online for an hour or so, with other members watching is they wished.
2) Online skill sessions - people could volunteer to vamp about a game system, gamemaster tips, or play by post techniques. This could either be an interactive discussion (like Nerdarchy does), or a lecture, and questions could follow from any viewers, the the videos could be recorded and aggregated on Youtube for later.
3) Virtual Chat - some kind of chatty tech (perhaps even a GP forum) could be leveraged to have a big real time party.
4) High speed one shots - everyone agrees to be online for an hour or two and play a simple scenario (Orc n Pie?) as fast as they can.

Personally, I like the idea of the last 3, with some kind of advance schedule so people could pick what they want to devote the time for.
Jul 10, 2016 5:23 pm
I like these ideas. I have been involved in games where all of the players are online at the same time and you are pretty much either reading posts or posting yourself for the whole time. You can get through the equivalent of a month of posts in just a few hours and the enjoyment is similarly concentrated.

The problems I foresee are;
-time zone issues (as with any online event)
-PbP will never be as fast as tabletop, so you would need to either find a module which is very short or play over a longer period (a 2-3 day con?). Alternatively, could the mumble server be used to set up some kind of hybrid game?
Jul 12, 2016 4:12 am
Perhaps a 24 hour con or close to that? I mean, most people are staying up ungodly hours at conventions anyway...

You do not have permission to post in this thread.