Ask Me Anything: McButterpants

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Nov 8, 2022 2:02 am
Windyridge says:
I can relate to a dislike of cold weather. I also live in a place where the winters are snowy and cold and I don't like it.
It was -13C and snowy today. I think we've had about a foot of snow so far. Ugh, I hate it.
Nov 8, 2022 2:10 am
Dunko says:
Ah! I love Seth Skorkowsky! I'm working Scott Brown into my in person Interface 0 session this week lol.

Thanks for answering!
Thank you very much for taking an interest! I downloaded the Scott Brown incident to listen again. I remember it was funny, but don't remember the specifics.

One of my favorite episodes - How the Beholder was Invented (https://youtu.be/H6EUjfRTOyo)
Nov 8, 2022 7:33 am
McButterpants says:
Knifesedgegames says:
Do you have a favourite kind of horror fiction when it comes to books and who are your favourite authors?
I wish I could find more. I am always looking for great horror stories and movies. I've read a lot of Steven King, of course. His older short stories tend to be better, but 'It' was one of my favorites. I've read some Koontz and Clive Barker. Horror novels are like horror movies - you have to sit through a fair number of bad stories before you find a gem. My preference is psychological horror vs physical horror.
You and I need to have a conversation on this subject. Sadly it won’t be over a dram or two, but I’ll message you on Discord.

Ummm are you on Discord?
Last edited November 8, 2022 8:38 am
Nov 8, 2022 8:49 am
On the subject of van art, saw this today
https://i.imgur.com/xk5RfNc.jpg
Nov 8, 2022 10:30 pm
Assuming you went, how was Intrigue Con? And do you ever go to game nights at the local hobby stores?
Nov 9, 2022 12:48 am
Qralloq says:
Assuming you went, how was Intrigue Con? And do you ever go to game nights at the local hobby stores?
I did go to Intrigue Con. It was great! I played DCC on Saturday morning, Alien Saturday afternoon and Forbidden Lands on Sunday morning. It was nice to meet other local players. I was invited to join one group, but they haven't called yet. 😔 The Con runs every spring and fall, so I'll be back next year.

Are you attending the RPG Alliance Con in November? It's online for the first two nights, but in-person in Calgary on Sunday. I wasnt planning to drive down for just the one day. Also, there's BSer Con in January (online also).

I have run a couple of one-shots of Call of Cthulu at a local Gaming Cafe. I will probably run more, but I don't really like one shots. I feel pressure to railroad the group so we can get it done in one night. I might try again, but I don't run 5e so there is a lot less interest.
Nov 9, 2022 4:24 am
I haven't decided about RPG Alliance Con. I've been twice, and it's great. Excellent people, great industry support and donated prizes, and the venue Dickens Pub has this hangover burger that's amazing.
Nov 11, 2022 11:20 am
I also am a fan on of horror and would be happy to swap recommendations.

What's a mechanic in a ttrpg that emulates horror in some way, and that works well?

If Connor McDavid ran for mayor of Edmonton, could anyone actually run against him and have a chance at winning?
Nov 11, 2022 6:14 pm
Phil_Ozzy_Fer says:
I also am a fan on of horror and would be happy to swap recommendations.
I wonder if we can get a Discord channel to post recommendations? I'm happy to share books that I like. I just listened to Haunting of Hill House. I loved the story, but needed more actual horror. The TV show did a better job of adding the scare factor.
Phil_Ozzy_Fer says:
What's a mechanic in a ttrpg that emulates horror in some way, and that works well?
Horror is all about tension. The fear that something bad is going to happen, or the horror of going through a terrible experience. I'm trying to think of situations where the dice pulled that out.

I like that CoC and Delta Green have Sanity, which adds a second way for your PC to "die". You now have to watch over two aspects of your health to keep your PC payable.

A fragile characters is a must. It's hard to be scared if you have a superhero. You can still do it, but the horror is not your PC experiencing the horror, but those around them experiencing it and your PC unable to do anything about it. DG uses Bonds for this. Maybe you don't die or go insane, but you drive everyone you love away - great stuff.
Phil_Ozzy_Fer says:
If Connor McDavid ran for mayor of Edmonton, could anyone actually run against him and have a chance at winning?
Probably not. Edmonton is definitely a hockey town. I'm one of the odd people that don't watch hockey. I enjoy the game, but it's a big time commitment. I hope he gets a cup one day. Someone that good should reach that goal at least once.
Nov 11, 2022 9:16 pm
Quote:
I wonder if we can get a Discord channel to post recommendations? I'm happy to share books that I like. I just listened to Haunting of Hill House. I loved the story, but needed more actual horror. The TV show did a better job of adding the scare factor.
We do have channels for books, TV shows, movies and all kinds of stuff on the GP discord server. That would be a great location to have those conversations, I think
Nov 11, 2022 9:54 pm
My error. I must have muted it. Thanks!!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.