Adding 'Quote' option to the pull-down 'Note' menu

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Nov 21, 2022 10:47 pm
https://i.imgur.com/nHG8ogG.png

^^^this pull-down menu^^^ is really handy to quickly tag (or send a note/private note to) the other players in a game.

I was wondering, could there be a 'Quote' command added to the pull-down menu?

So, at the bottom of the pull-down menu it would be:

Add note
Private
Mention

it would be handy if one wants to quote only a sentence in a long post by another player. Currently, to do that one has to press 'Quote' under that player's post, then delete the parts one doesn't want to quote. Seems more intuitive to paste a section, then surround it with tags?

Since Quote relies (just like Note, Private, Mention) on the player name(s) to be correctly inserted in the tag, it would make sense to me to also include the Quote command in this menu.

Just a thought, in case it is deemed useful!
Nov 21, 2022 11:10 pm
Agreed! I think this was discussed a while back but I don't remember what came of it.
Nov 21, 2022 11:31 pm
Not_Dr_B says:
Since Quote relies (just like Note, Private, Mention) on the player name(s) to be correctly inserted in the tag...
Does it?
Nov 21, 2022 11:38 pm
Apologies if this has been discussed before.
Adam says:
Does it?
[note="Dr_B"][/note]
[private="Dr_B"][/private]
[quote="Dr_B"][/quote]

They all seem to share the same syntax? I might be wrong.
Mention is similar, but not identical, not requiring a tag.
Nov 22, 2022 12:07 am
Ideally it would work like the font formatting tags. Just highlight the section you want to quote, hit a Q icon, and the quote appears with the highlighted text and the tags around it.
Nov 22, 2022 12:12 am
Quote:
it would look like this, though
nezzeraj says:
as opposed to this
[quote]it would look like this, though[/quote]

[quote="nezzeraj"]as opposed to this[/quote]
Nov 22, 2022 12:33 am
This would be nice, especially when trying to quote a line from a very long post on a cell phone.
Nov 22, 2022 7:13 am
Dr_B_But_Not_Correctly_Inserted says:
They all seem to share the same syntax? I might be wrong.
Mention is similar, but not identical, not requiring a tag.
My point is that quote doesn't need the username to be correctly inserted to work.

So this works:
Basic Rules Page 75 says:
If you take the Disengage action, your movement doesn’t
provoke opportunity attacks for the rest of the turn.
Nov 22, 2022 7:20 am
But if someone wants to add it, then edit: javascript/markItUp/sets/bbcode/game-forum-set.js

Add the option below line 16. Process it by adding the functionality into the block at lines 91-95. (assuming I understand the request - which is a helluvan assumption).
Last edited November 22, 2022 7:21 am
Nov 22, 2022 7:34 am
Oh I see, sure. You can type all you want there.

But I still want to insert the player name in the quote, and there's a pull down menu right there that could do it for me a lot more easily than typing it 😂
Nov 22, 2022 7:41 am
Fair enough.

If someone wants to pick this up and go through the development/testing/release/everyone-yelling-at-them cycle then game-forum-set.js controls that menu.

As an aside, you can insert player and character names to any post using the quills in the character menu.

https://i.imgur.com/5BkxFl2.png

I think of it as the "elf name" feature. Ain't nobody got time to learn those spellings. It works for player names too.
Last edited November 22, 2022 7:42 am
Nov 22, 2022 7:45 am
Oh, that's super useful, had no idea the quills did that.
Nov 22, 2022 7:50 am
I had no idea either! Awesome. Well, I'm no much of a coder but gotta start somewhere! I will see about adding some of the easier features like the dice highlight code and this.

Edit: Ok so just thinking of the best way to do this, I don't think the note dropdown is the best way. The goal is to only quote selected text, so clicking on the note button will negate that (at least on mobile). There is already a quote button next to the note button, and a quote option under the post as well, so 3 options seem like overkill. The ideal solution is just to have either one place a higher priority on selected text, and only quote that if it exists, otherwise quote the whole post. Or maybe have the quote option in the text bar make highlighted quotes, and the one under the post quote the whole post. I have no idea about how to do that haha.
Last edited November 22, 2022 8:18 am
Nov 22, 2022 9:25 am
Quote:
I think of it as the "elf name" feature. Ain't nobody got time to learn those spellings. It works for player names too.
Finally, I can @ Adam without having to triple-check the spelling
Nov 22, 2022 9:44 pm
nezzeraj says:
There is already a quote button next to the note button, and a quote option under the post as well, so 3 options seem like overkill.
Agree, if the Quote were to be added to the Note pull-down menu, it might not be needed elsewhere. Just like there is only one place for Note, Private, Mention.
Nov 22, 2022 10:25 pm
The quill option for entering a name only exist within a game and only for players who have characters in that game. It operates on a different scale to the menu under discussion, we could not use it in this thread for instance. But then, the Notes pulldown does not work here either, it autofills from games list but also does not give all the options when not in a game.

The option to select text and click a button to add it as a Quote seems like it would be useful, but is also a bigger task than changing that menu, and may depend on browser and OS.
Nov 23, 2022 6:22 am
Dr_B says:
nezzeraj says:
There is already a quote button next to the note button, and a quote option under the post as well, so 3 options seem like overkill.
Agree, if the Quote were to be added to the Note pull-down menu, it might not be needed elsewhere. Just like there is only one place for Note, Private, Mention.
I'd much rather have the one click quote tag than the pull down that adds a name but requires more clicks, so I'm voting strongly against this

You do not have permission to post in this thread.