Larynda's & Quindon's Island Getaway

Nov 24, 2022 9:24 pm
OOC:
This will be where I will be bringing Larynda and Quindon into the game. I will merge the party when they emerge from the Remnant .
Nov 25, 2022 1:03 am
Miros Xelbrin
The dock hands are under the instruction of an older man who bellows just about everything. You lot there! get out of the way. We don't mind the company but you stopping the unloading of the ale. And everyone know the day isn't done till the ale is safely stored in the tavern.
Get along there.

Larynda and her fellow newcomers, including a small mercenary band and several other adventurers, quick step up the dock to a ramp leading to a stone boathouse. Just inside the cool shade a tall hard faced man and guard await.
Tyren
Right, I'm Captain Tyren, leader of the Silver Fang mercenaries and captain of the guard here abouts. You and he points to the new mercenaries with me. The rest of you follow thr Sergeant here and he will take you to the clerk to get sorted. With that he turns and strides off, obviously expecting to be obeyed.
Guard
The guard motions you to follow and heads into the basecamp. The base is situated at a corner where 2 tributaries feed into the river. The base is surrounded on 3 sides by a 20' wall with the last side has only a 15' wall from the water line but only about 4 feet at street level. The entire area is hot, humid, and carries the scent of the swamp just to the west. Looking around there are bits of old building to be seen but most are patched with newer, and most likely magical, stonework. The older original buildings are built form solid stone blocks with smooth patches of stone filling in the gaps and reinforcing the older crumbling stonework. A variety of races are easily seen though many seem like you, adventurers here for fame and fortune.
The guard takes you down a long street then gestures to an open doorway and with an In there turns and heads off.
Stepping inside, the stone building do help a bit with the heat though the humidity make the air thick and clinging, you see a large room with benches, a couple of tables, and a boy in his teen sitting at a small writing table. Looking up at your arival he slips into one of the open doors and returns a moment later to gesture you into the next room.

Phlan

Psybermagi

Nov 25, 2022 1:06 am
Phlan
Inside is a large desk with shelves and cupboards surrounding it and papers neatly stacked or rolled and bound with cord everywhere. The man behind the desk looks you over before going back to his papers as he speaks We thank you for your interest in joining out little expedition and your assistance in bringing the much needed supplies. At this point you have two options.
1. You can work freelance but taking jobs from the notice board in the room you entered from and registering them with my clerk. You will be paid upon completion.
2. You can sign on and work as assigned by the expedition, either as a guard or scout. Scouts do much the same as free agents but are provided room, board, and any required healing, but with lower pay.
I have a few moments to spare you and will entertain questions at this time.
Glancing back at all of you a moment before resuming his work.
OOC:
@GreyWord - the main party is one of the primary scouting teams you can join when they get back to base. You are free to pick other activities till they get close then I will direct you back to base where you can join the party
Nov 26, 2022 7:56 am
Larynda smiles beautiful but cold smile Sir! How and where does one signs? tone indicate that she is interested in signing just wants to be informed. And would be care to share reason a cute manager wastes his time providing us the instructions simple clerk could have? You just wanted to meet us, didn't you?

Phlan

Psybermagi

Nov 26, 2022 1:35 pm
Phlan
Nodding his head back out the door he indicates My clerk will handle the details and yes I like to meet all who work here. A slight smile that doesn't reach his eyes crosses his face momentarily. I have a knack for understanding people. It helps me to handle future complications.
Nov 26, 2022 9:26 pm
Larynda is going to check list of jobs from the notice board (and if necessary talk to the above mentioned clerk) to figure out what kind of tasks are available there. Freelance job certainly sounds preferable to Larynda.
OOC:

Could I clarify what do you mean by the "other activities" - did you just wanted me to chose between freelance and team assignment or do you expect me come up with any random activities on my discretion?
Nov 27, 2022 3:57 pm
None of the other newcomers choose to voice any questions and you are all absently dismissed. The clerk gathers you all into the outer office and launches into a speech he obviously cares little for but had been forced to repeat often.
+ Jobs are posted daily, with seconday having weekly updates to long standing notices. (I use the 10 day week)
+ Scouts, then guards, have priority over freelance if there is a conflict.
+You must work your way up the ranks to take commissions. Everyone starts as a copper rank. To reach the next rank you must complete at least 1 mission ....
+ Scouts require a team or at least a partner, one can be assigned of needed...
jobs
1. Hunting
2. Patrols
3. Investigate increases dark Fey activity
4. Investigate golem and assist it if possible
5. Eliminate undead on the island
6. Investigate island cemetery
Nov 27, 2022 5:57 pm
Young gentleman, would you care to explain a lady from the underdark what is a Scouts up here? Where I come from scout is a type of activity everyone does. Is it an occupation up here? Larynda is confused - her cultural difference doesn't help to read the situation. But she only interested to learn as much as necessary to start of earning the glory - I am up to Investigate dark Fey activity. Do I need to assist anyone who is called a scout? How do I know my investigation Done?

clerk

Psybermagi

Nov 27, 2022 8:09 pm
clerk
The young, infantile to the elfin eye, lad replies with a glance at the dark elves features The dark fey is a bit of an odd case. The swamp and wooded areas to the west are inhabited by the grippli, a variety of beasts, and some fey. We and the fey mostly leave each other alone. Recently the dark fey have been causing problems to some scouts and even coming onto base and stealing items the researchers are looking at, along with other minor items. Unfortunately the fey we have talked to about this are unsure why it is happening. The dark fey are historically less open and trusting in their dealing with mortals. Maybe you will have better luck.
Most investigations are simple and once you report it's completion and we verify it by other scouts, scrying, or other evidence you will compensated. In addition, as none of the scouts appreciate verifying false claims they tend to police each other.
As for scouting in general, a scout is someone who specializes in recognizance. We use them to patrol beyond the walls and keep an eye on other nearby forces, such as the hobgoblins, Orcs, and kobolds. There are 3 large teams and the rest work in pairs. Do you have a partner already or will you be needing one?
Nov 28, 2022 8:54 am
Could you please conform I got it right: there reasons to believe those are fey who managed to get into this base past it's defenses, find the items in their locations, get out of the base. And do so repeatedly. And what if they have a good reason to not let humans posses those items?
No, I'm not signing to the task of bringing bad news that requires luck to complete as you noted.

Larynda trying to make sure no other adventurers would take the job, because she is interested in doing the investigation before claiming the task.
She makes a pause and allow boy to answer/provide details on how did the Dark Fey got in and out of the base in a way that humans know those were Fey, but did not manage to stop them. Are there humans inside base summoning them?

Regardless of an answer she is stating she want a different type of job:

And yes I do need a partner indeed. Could you arrange me a partner for any Hunting job that is around the swamp and wooded areas, they sound like the best place an Elf. I see how humans have hard time to trust dark elf on job completion. Hunting should be an easy to prove done, isn't that right?

clerk

Psybermagi

Nov 28, 2022 1:43 pm
Give me deception or persuasion to dicurage others from taking the dark fey contract
clerk
The clek shrugs. They are dark fey, well known to have magival abilities. Since we only recently started getting anything that realy excites the scholars we are not sure what the fey are after but the wizards and artificer have taken steps to protect the truely important items. The boy answers a few simple questions from the other newcomers, signing several of them up as scouts or guards while looking through lists. Finally getting back to you he says There are no free elf scouts or freelancers on record but there is a human woodsman.
He has been hunting small game close to the base since the previous boat or acting as a temporary third for other scouting pairs. I can let him know you are looking for him but if you want to talk to him yourself he spends most nights at the cantina. He goes by the name Hank.
Nov 28, 2022 2:47 pm
deception for sure - she would try to stop anyone providing half-truth or plain lie relating to the fact she is a dark elf and they are dealing with dark fey.

Wait what? Is the contract to hunt small game - instead of famous monstrosities? I'm not a woodsman, I'm adventurer - you know. Screw that, is there anyone ready to come with me to Eliminate undead ?
OOC:
Oh yes, she is sure chaotic :)

Rolls

Larynda: Deception (discourage others from taking the dark fey contract) - (1d20+6)

(2) + 6 = 8

Big Al

Psybermagi

Nov 28, 2022 3:13 pm
Big Al
A large and sturdy looking fellow glances your way with a look all to familiar to female elves coming from almost every male human. Fortunately the look changes as he takes in the armor and weapons. I don't mind a bit of simple violence. he says with a grin. Count me in.
The large human may have a trace of orc or ogre blood and wears little in the way of protective gear. However on his back is a large double headed weapon more common to dwarves with an ax blade and hammer balancing each other and a wicked spike in the middle. Though obviously a veteran you feel confident in being able to humble the large man, should the need arise.
Nov 28, 2022 3:50 pm
Larynda thinks I would't call it a violence. We are to put a foul magic to end and let already dead bodies find their rest. but she only vocalize enthusiastically:
Your axe, my shield and the divine blessing will do the work but good!
Larynda turns back to clerk to double check if two of them are enough or they still need someone with an earned "scout" privilege to be their ticket to this assignment. And ask the the details: Where will we find those undead and how do we know they are all Eliminated?

clerk

Psybermagi

Nov 28, 2022 4:28 pm
clerk
Looking at the two of you he says Go to the docks and ask for a boat to the isle. They will take you to the isle but be warned that they won't pick you back up after nightfall.
The undead in the fortress are not to be attacked. Kill any others you encounter. They are most common near the graveyard on the north end of the isle. If they guard or carry any historical items or writing bring the items back or inform us of the location to earn a bonus.
Be warned, the deeper in the cemetery you go the stronger the undead
Nov 28, 2022 10:09 pm
Avoid fortress, clear cemetery and surroundings. Bring anything but undead back here. Sounds simple. By the way stay there to check if more undear rise the night?

Larynda would suggest Big Al to go to the docks immediately and ask him about his background on the way: where are he from (which land), did he participate Dawn War, what has been doing for the living sicne War. She want big fellow to feel her interest and pretended respect.

clerk

Psybermagi

Nov 29, 2022 1:17 am
clerk
Well, ever since those foul necromancers enacted their ritual the priest has been trying to break it. Unfortunately it seems they tied their spell to the fortress. And since the fortress undead are an entire army we kind of have to let them be. They stay behind their wall except for occasional patrols near their walls. They even kill other undead that get to close to that fort of theirs. So if you see a group of mounted undead that can speak don't attack. Even if you kill one group they will call more and no one can fight an army.
So the cemetery keeps spawning undead but they are not to too much of a problem. Until the priest and wizard can figure out how to break the necromancers spell we just have you newcomers take care of them as a form or training. Plus there is the occasional item on them that keeps the scholars happy.
Nov 29, 2022 1:24 am
You and Big Al walk to the docks and request a boat to the island. The harbor master reminds you that they will only return an hour before sunset, still several hours out, and yells a couple of men into a boat.
The strong, and sweaty, men quickly move the little boat into the current and across the river to the island. As you approach you notice most of the plants look sicly and one of the oarsmen mentions it is a side affect of the necromancers ritual. One of the scouting parties disrupted their spell but it did not completely fail causing the veil between the mortal lands and the Shadowfell to be thin here. He continues to inform you of bits he has picked up from the other adventurers. It seems that necrmancy spells and necrotic affects are a bit stronger and spells that affect the mind can be oddly dangerous. However as both these magics have litle affect on the undead it is not much of an issue unless you find a skeleton mage, identified by their resemblence to a lich. The wizard and priest have performed several rituals to ensure no greater undead spawn from the graveyard but that is the best they can do at this time.

Big Al

Psybermagi

Nov 29, 2022 1:35 am
Big Al
Big Al points out that though you may have been in the war, even his father was not born yet when it ended at the Shattering. He hails from the rough mountainous area far to the north and you learn his peole share a border with your own. Though your pepole do not bother caliming all the surface and rarely trade with the barbarian tribes. Most of his experience has been with his people as they clense the land of the abminations left in the wake of the Dawn war.
Steping ashore and hauling the boat up, which the baotmen did not do and complain abaout, he holds it steady for you to disembark. He then shoves the boat back into the river and turns north with a grin to you Shall we?
Nov 29, 2022 12:42 pm
OOC:
This is day-time and Sunlight Sensitivity affect my PC, isn't it?
Larynda share that she were too you to participate the war.
She jumps out of the boat with a silent bow of thanks to Bug Al. Absolutely. Lead the way, I''ll follow right behind I don't feel comfortable under the sun, but so should undead. I hope.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.