rules lite

Dec 8, 2022 8:07 pm
all the so-called "rules lite rpg" games turn out to be table top, board games with a collaborative wheme sith very little roleplay (limited to the confined of some pre-genned chars). can you recommend some rules-lite rpg games that truly are that: Role Playing Games.
Dec 8, 2022 8:10 pm
Well, I ran a game of Lasers & Feelings on GP when I first joined. You can't go much more rules lite than that and that was definitely a real role playing game. Players made up their own characters, I ran them through one and a half adventures before my lack of planning blew up right in my face ๐Ÿ’โ€โ™€๏ธ
Dec 8, 2022 9:02 pm
Can't go wrong with Stargazer Games Warrior, Rogue, and Mage.
Dec 8, 2022 9:40 pm
The lightest with fairly simple rules are the TinyD6 games. No stats except health and only a few abilities per character.
One game is starting soon with a recruitment thread here and I am running another here
Last edited December 9, 2022 2:00 pm
Dec 9, 2022 12:01 am
Good recommendations already -- the Lasers & Feelings games, the Tiny D6 games... and I would add Into the Odd, EZD6, Folklore, The Window, Lady Blackbird, Risus, 24XX, Cthulhu Dark, World of Dungeons / Offworlders / Breakers, Tricube Tales, Caltrop Core, Mini-Six. Gold Star examples of games that are a little less minimalist but still darned light would be Index Card RPG and The Black Hack (and many of its offshoots).
Last edited December 9, 2022 12:02 am
Dec 9, 2022 12:04 am
Isn't Lady Blackbird exactly this:
Morlaf says:
(limited to the confined of some pre-genned chars)
It was the one game that came to my mind for this qualification. Not sure for which others that is actually true.
Dec 9, 2022 12:06 am
bowlofspinach says:
Isn't Lady Blackbird exactly this:
Morlaf says:
(limited to the confined of some pre-genned chars)
It was the one game that came to my mind for this qualification. Not sure for which others that is actually true.
Yeah, fair, but it's been hacked a bunch of times too.

One more open-ended one, if D&D is the experience you're looking for -- Knave.
Dec 9, 2022 12:42 am
Let's not forget Kosmosaurs! Only two stats, a few qualities, gears, and knowledges that can add or subtract from your dice pools and that's it.
Dec 9, 2022 5:20 am
Diogo Nogueira (author of Kosmosaurs) actually kind of specializes in lighter (if not usually minimalist) RPGs. Love his work.
Dec 9, 2022 8:09 am
There is also Push (not a searchable name, so I provided a link:). It is not much more than a very clever core mechanic and few example tables (and some guidance to help you make your own for your own setting).
Dec 9, 2022 10:11 am
I remember FU being very light and general, as stated on the label
Last edited December 9, 2022 10:12 am
Dec 9, 2022 5:10 pm
Forgot about Push โ€” does have a neat if not super-intuitive mechanic. Freeform Universal โ€” thereโ€™s been a new version of that brewing for a few years, I think?
Jan 16, 2023 2:55 pm
I have a large repository of free games here, many of them rules-lite. Some of them are bound to be exactly what you're looking for...
Jan 17, 2023 12:52 am
Pretty much anything that runs on the PbtA system is fairly to very rules-light, and are definitely not board games.

It covers most genres too. The Wiki page has a list.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.