The GP Advent Calendar - Door 9

Dec 9, 2022 6:55 pm
Hey there, lovely GP community!

Throughout the next 24 days, we, the mods, want to highlight some fun, exciting, cool or otherwise interesting GP posts, just to give you all a glimpse of what might be going on on the site outside of your own games and to share some gaming enthusiasm around.

Since we can only be in a small number of games, compared to all the many going on at the same time, there will definitely be some amazing posts that none of the mod team are aware of. If you saw a great post in a game you're in or you have written something that you're particularly proud of, please share it with me in a private message and we will put it under consideration for a future advent calendar door. Unfortunately, an advent calendar only has 24 doors so it's possible we won't be able to share everything that gets submitted to us if we get a lot of messages, but I'd still love to read as many posts you find fascinating as possible so don't be shy about submitting one or more posts you think would get other people excited 😊
Today's submission comes from a medieval Call of Cthulhu game that KCC ran some time back.

A group of diplomats had been sent out to investigate village near their home castle. During their tour, they found signs of cannibalism and cult worship of some unknown deity, marked by a yellow sign.
Now they have returned to the castle to find it changed, twisted and occupied by dangerous forces...
Dec 9, 2022 6:55 pm
You resolve to cross the drawbridge into Lord Boniface’s castle. Some of you go out of duty to your friends. Others to exact revenge. Stepping out onto the black drawbridge, you feel it stretch out before you. What used to span a 12ft gap now seems to stretch and wind into the distance. You follow it, conscious of the black misting moat beneath you. You can’t see anything, but you feel a lumbering alien intelligence resting just below the surface. The water laps, and moves at times, drawing your gaze. The drawbridge winds left, and right. At times it feels like you’re walking in circles. Eventually, you arrive through the gate. You look back over your shoulder at the path you just travelled. You only travelled a short distance!

Even as the warmth of the castle welcomes you, the strangeness of it fills you with confusion and dread. The ceilings now vault thirty feet high, the stonework is black, and everywhere yellow candles flicker, casting the halls in a haunting, sickening illumination.

Mist erupts from a wall of stone. It swirls and dances, caressing the structure like a living thing. When it clears, moments later, the wall has become an archway. Beyond it lies a spiral stairway leading upward into a tower. A pair of heraldic banners hangs on either side of the archway. Their dimensions and quality identify them as the banners of a king, while their emblem, a single enormous Yellow Sign, proclaims just which king.

"Welcome back!" a loud, merry voice calls from behind you. Turning, you see a jester with a yellow mask over his eyes and a veil over his mouth. His clothing is rich and colored in black and gold, decorated with silver bells. He wears a hat with three long points. The jester’s shoes are long and curl upward at the toe.

"Please, follow me. The King wishes to see you. I’m to guide you to the feast hall, otherwise you might get lost. We can’t have that now, can we?"
KCC

KCC

Dec 10, 2022 11:39 pm
This game was a bunch of fun! My third (and first successful) go at DMing on here! Glad people remember it, even now!
Dec 11, 2022 10:14 am
Super creepy! This post does a great job to set the atmosphere before the jester appears.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.