The GP Advent Calendar - Door 10

Dec 10, 2022 7:45 pm
Hey there, lovely GP community!

Throughout the next 24 days, we, the mods, want to highlight some fun, exciting, cool or otherwise interesting GP posts, just to give you all a glimpse of what might be going on on the site outside of your own games and to share some gaming enthusiasm around.

Since we can only be in a small number of games, compared to all the many going on at the same time, there will definitely be some amazing posts that none of the mod team are aware of. If you saw a great post in a game you're in or you have written something that you're particularly proud of, please share it with me in a private message and we will put it under consideration for a future advent calendar door. Unfortunately, an advent calendar only has 24 doors so it's possible we won't be able to share everything that gets submitted to us if we get a lot of messages, but I'd still love to read as many posts you find fascinating as possible so don't be shy about submitting one or more posts you think would get other people excited 😊
Today's post comes from Emberskyes during an early phase of a Things from the Flood game, setting up one of the main character's situation.

After the death of her mother the previous year, Anika's father slipped into alcoholism, leaving her in charge of taking care not just of herself and him but also of her little sister Sonja. One evening, while Anika is working her job at the local record store, a by now unfortunately familiar police officer makes an appearance...

Anika Forsberg

bowlofspinach

Dec 10, 2022 7:45 pm
Anika’s head drops to the counter with a thump, "What did he do this time?" she asked slowly looking up at Officer Granfors, her right hand trembled as she fished under the register for Frida’s pack of cigarettes.

"We caught him," Erik noticed her hands shaking and the pack In them as she tried and failed to get just one cigarette out of the pack, "you know you are under 18 and that it is illegal for you to smoke that in here."

Anika looked at the quivering cigarette in her hand and the four others laying on the counter top nearby, *What? Are you going to arrest me now too?*

"I, I just," she looked up at him her emotions barely in check, "I just really need this right now."

Granfors nodded towards the door, Anika followed trying desperately to get the striker on her Zippo to work. It was raining harder outside and she managed one long drag on the cigarette before throwing up her pudding into the drain next the door. Anika gagged and coughed for a moment before sticking the cigarette back between her lips and inhaling again.

"You know what," she said exhaling, her hands still shaking, "I don’t want to know. Is Sonja with Marta?"

Officer Granfors nodded again.

Anika took another long pull on the cigarette and looked up at the sky, *No one can see you cry in the rain.* Then she exhaled and walked over to Granfors marked Volvo.

"You're such a selfish son-of-a-bitch!" She yelled at the unconscious figure in the back seat, "And, and I hate you!"

Putting her cheek on the roof of the vehicle she says quietly, "You're supposed to take care of me. You're supposed to take care of Sonja, you stupid shit."

She stays like this for a moment before standing up and taking a final drag on her cigarette. *Focus, focus.* Anika wipes away the tears forcing her emotions back into their cage.

Anika walked past Granfors and back to the door of Tronners. "I will be around tomorrow to collect him. Please make sure he is comfortable and has a blanket this time, it’s wet and cold I do not want him getting sick."

Granfors nodded and went to get back into his vehicle, "I can get Ingrid to give you a ride home if you want."

Ana shook her head, Ingrid was young, hot, single and one of Erik’s fellow officers. "I’ll be alright, it’s only a couple blocks."

She butted out her cigarette before stepping back inside the store and looking at clock, *20 more minutes, god damn it.*

Anika quickly calls Marta to ensure Sonja can spend the night.
Anika Forsberg

You do not have permission to post in this thread.