You can't take the sky from me, Traveller

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

ClosedTravellerPrivate3 / weekEsidrix
Just good old-fashioned Traveller, People vs. Space and all that it contains.

Dec 15, 2022 3:23 am
You read it right. This will be the worst/shortest recruitment thread, ever.

It's Traveller, Mongoose, 2022. As far as I can tell, it's minor changes from the previous edition. If you are familiar with Traveller, then you know, as the GM, I'm kinda at the players mercy. I have a bunch of the books and modules and I'll try and railroad you when it makes sense. Otherwise, it'll be your adventure. My only promise is, I've only ran one other game on GP and it was "CREATED December 23, 2020 5:31 am". We're still going, and I've promised the 2 original players that I'll run the game as long as they are having fun.

Same here.
Dec 15, 2022 5:18 am
What’s your basic concept?

Do you have a home-brew setting you’ll be using or are you thinking of the 3rd Imperium or perhaps something else?

I’m guessing from the quote you’re inspired by Firefly. I do not know Mongoose but I do know Traveller.
Dec 15, 2022 5:29 am
Take me out to the black.

Traveller would be a great name for a Firefly class transporter. I would love to be your space monk.
Dec 15, 2022 12:38 pm
The location/concept is on the edge of the Third Imperium. Plenty of space to operate in the fringes, but close enough that you could dip into the depths of the Imperium, if you desired. The wonderful thing about Traveller is that it's up to the players on the style of game. I'm partial to the Firefly motif, and I'll probably introduce those themes whenever I can. But if the group is set on something more military or even more businesslike, we'll make it work. The bottom line is always a good story.

Posting is 3-5 a week, Mon - Friday. I sometimes get a moment on the weekends, but that's weather dependent.

The tone is meant to be serious, but not dark. Everybody's welcome and if the game situation veers into uncomfortable places, X card and we'll resolve it offscreen and move on.

My only other request is everyone come with the intention to be a team player. The one person with ulterior motives is interesting in a show but done right will ruin game.
Dec 15, 2022 4:31 pm
I wasn't quite quick enough to get into VagueGM's Traveller game so I'm glad to see another ship docked in port looking for crew members. A Firefly type game (transport/smuggling) would be fun but I'd also be interested in something related to the scout services - officially or unofficially (if that's even an option...) Are you envisioning the game takes place at Tech level 11ish?

I can pitch you a few character concepts but it seems like that should mostly stay open b/c so much random stuff happens during character creation. I have the 2022 rulebook and have attempted to make some test characters but I haven't actually played in a game.
Dec 15, 2022 6:55 pm
Firefly / 'Just keep flying' - is one of my favorite ways to play Traveller. But I'll run whatever works for the group. I find it difficult to get to wrapped up in campaign development before character creation, especially with Traveller. I've got a couple of sector books and we can start where it most suits the group. Scouting, in many forms is still an option. You'd have to be pretty far from the core to do much 'world discovery' but there are plenty of places around the edges that have been skipped over due to a lack of resources or interest that might suddenly become interesting to someone.
Dec 15, 2022 10:05 pm
"Theres a special place in Hell for men who take advantage of the innocent." and "I'm going to the special Hell." Have to be my favorite lines ever written. I'll hopefully roll up something Book like, though probably younger. You know if you're into the space monk idea.

But he will probably end up being more like Mal, just because of who I am as a creature.
Last edited December 15, 2022 10:10 pm
Dec 16, 2022 3:37 am
@Jomsviking, Best thing about Traveller - only the dice know who you'll become :) Would love to see you do a Book kind of character, especially if you can pull off 2 or so terms as an Agent, and then muster out as a Colonist/Entertainer... (one preaches for souls/one preaches for money)

@Emberskyes - Mongoose just has the publishing rights, the system is mostly 2d6, roll only when it matters - move the story forward :)
Last edited December 16, 2022 3:41 am
Dec 16, 2022 4:21 am
I definitely would love to get in on this as a fan of both Firefly/Serenity and Traveller. I have a couple ideas if the dice would be friendly :)
Dec 16, 2022 4:27 am
Hi, I'm interested in playing Traveller.

I have played with the classic rules before but it has been a long time. I have the Mongoose core rulebook now. I am new to PbP.
Dec 16, 2022 5:38 am
That sounds like we're at 4 for sure, which means we have game. I'll let this bake over the weekend, maybe someone else will find their way here. Either way, I'll put up the game page Sunday night and we'll see if we can get the Session 0/Character Creation hashed out next week. We should be on track to fire off a game just in time for the new year. :)

@geoffenzed - We tend to be nicer to new players, helps them stick around. ;) PbP isn't bad, it just takes a little getting used to the pace.
Dec 18, 2022 10:22 pm
Game thread is up, and the invites are sent. I'd be happy to have a 5th player if anyone else is interested.
Last edited December 18, 2022 10:23 pm

You do not have permission to post in this thread.