The GP Advent Calendar - Door 18

Dec 18, 2022 5:08 pm
Hey there, lovely GP community!

Throughout the next 24 days, we, the mods, want to highlight some fun, exciting, cool or otherwise interesting GP posts, just to give you all a glimpse of what might be going on on the site outside of your own games and to share some gaming enthusiasm around.

Since we can only be in a small number of games, compared to all the many going on at the same time, there will definitely be some amazing posts that none of the mod team are aware of. If you saw a great post in a game you're in or you have written something that you're particularly proud of, please share it with me in a private message and we will put it under consideration for a future advent calendar door. Unfortunately, an advent calendar only has 24 doors so it's possible we won't be able to share everything that gets submitted to us if we get a lot of messages, but I'd still love to read as many posts you find fascinating as possible so don't be shy about submitting one or more posts you think would get other people excited 😊
Today, I want to highlight a post by CherokeeWind. There isn't much context needed. It's just a really awesomely written character introduction that immediately gives life to the character.
Dec 18, 2022 5:08 pm
Dark curls spilled out from under the hood. Not ebony like a raven's wing like some of her half sister's had but a dark chestnut that shone with highlight if strands caught the firelight at the correct angle. Travel had left her locks more tumbled than usually so the woman brushed her fingers through her hair trying to work out tangles.

Appearance seemed to be important to the young woman as a variety of cosmetics seemed to have been used to enhance her natural features and honeyed skin. Kohl outlined warm brown eyes that seemed to twinkle with a bit of hidden mirth. The lines drawn seemed to extend past the edge of her eye contributing to an exotic look. High cheeks could have been reddened by a touch of ocher powder or just as possible the skin was colored by the extreme cold. Although her lips, shaped much like a bow and colored like fresh raspberries, showed signs of cracking as the winter wind had stole precious moisture with only a touch.

But the application of color was not limited to the woman's face. Bright layered clothing edged with golden embroidery adorned her form. The contrasting colors with shimmering baubles attached gave the illusion of constant movement drawing attention toward the performer. It was a delicate balance the way the woman emphasize the curve of her hip by tying a scarf at her waste but was careful not to show too much cleavage. There was a power in mystery the performer exploited, in addition, to trying not to be mauled every night.

Of course, the beauty had more than her virtue to protect. Whether the giant gold hoops that twirled with an azure starburst patterned stone or the matching amulet she wore at her wrist or the clunky signet ring that took a piece of yarn wrapped around the back to enable her more delicate finger to fit...it was all jewelry. Instead of protecting the few items left from her former life, the bard didn't hide her treasures but put them on full display to the public. Who wouldn't know that the earring was hers when she made a point to tug on it as she winked to the crowd? Maybe not a perfect system of determent but it had worked so far.

And then there were the bells. Sweet sounding jingling bells that punctuated every step the woman made. The bard truly carried forth music into every place she walked. Even now while the her coat was being shrugged off her shoulders, the bells tinkled.

Confusion was clear with the first acidity response from Ma before the proprietor slipped back into her more expected friendly tone. Bells only nodded her head at the offered brandy not wanting to attract more of Ma's ire.

The older Dwarven gentleman that had manged to position himself at their table despite having some mobility issues offered the reason. Bells, never underestimate the old foxes...that grey is earned with some lessons. Bells was thankful for the explanation for the changing disposition of the matron and thought about any references to a crystal tower. Thank you for setting the record straight, Grandpa Whitesmithy, if that be the name you would have me call you by. Please, let me make my introduction to all. I'm, hopefully, known both far and wide as an entertainer of no little skill who your can always hear coming, the bloom of the desert, Bells! The bard threw her arm in the air with flourish while stomping a foot to cause her words to be accompanied by her name's sake. A pleasure to share a table with you all.
Bells
Dec 18, 2022 6:20 pm
...and Bells even wore those damned bells when the party were trying to move stealthily.

A strong and fun character - one of my favourites.
Dec 18, 2022 6:23 pm
I think if your name is Bells, you kind of have to stick to the theme 😋

You do not have permission to post in this thread.