Ask Me Anything: Sassafras

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Dec 20, 2022 5:41 pm
Psybermagi says:
You can add an NPC with a vested interest to the desert and others connected to the evil in some way. Throw in a local or two with lots of contacts and lore. Local story teller, gypsy fortune teller, urchin hanging around the party for spare coin. Add a conflict with the local guards and it thieves guild, possibly as a result of one of the above NPC, for city drama.
Ex a family member of a merchant searching for an oasis to allow caravans to cross the desert instead of going all the way around. The merchant and guards went missing.
Another faction could be NPC cultists who worship the great evil. One of them can be in the employee of the merchant family
My problem is always connecting the bits together. Good luck
Haha, thanks for the ideas. Luckily stitching things together is quite literally my job description 😂 I had a street urchin that had a background connected to the overall story, a bronze dragon that disguised himself to sit in the local tavern and hear stories from the other patrons (I had thought him to be a potential ally later on), and a merchant that was actually a Lamia gathering wealth. It was a cult that had infiltrated the palace that was trying to raise the big bad.
Adam says:
Sassafras says:

Good question. I loved the underdark setting in my Out of the Abyss campaign.
I really enjoyed that game, and thought you DMed it expertly despite the challenge of a dozen NPCs.
Thanks man, that really means a lot 🙂 still think your Professor Eeke is the prime example of how to spin gold on a terrible character roll
Dec 20, 2022 8:16 pm
Is there a Danish RPG that you feel should be known internationally?
Dec 20, 2022 8:56 pm
Dr_B says:
Is there a Danish RPG that you feel should be known internationally?
None that I’ve tried. But maybe runekyndig knows some?
Last edited December 20, 2022 9:02 pm
Dec 22, 2022 4:23 pm
What's your favorite D&D monster and would you want one as a pet?
Dec 22, 2022 6:01 pm
bowlofspinach says:
What's your favorite D&D monster and would you want one as a pet?
It might be a bit of a basic answer, but I’ve always liked the Beholder. It’s just a really rad design.

It would be cool to have a Phoenix as a pet, although the amount of space you’d need would be more than I can afford 😅
Dec 23, 2022 1:35 am
A phoenix? You mean a Molotov Cockatiel?

https://i.imgur.com/sdxrvoh.jpg

They are pretty great!

What would be the nature (or supernature) of the "great evil" in your desert setting? One big threat like a trapped god or lots of little threats like a lost civilization re-emerging, forbidden knowledge being rediscovered or just supposed to be a mystery?
Dec 23, 2022 3:31 am
Put you hands together
A trapped god that has gone schizophrenic and it's personalities are presenting as multiple avatars that both help and hinder the characters
Dec 23, 2022 12:14 pm
The idea was only really loosely sketched, but the concept I had was somewhat similar to the Dark Wanderer from Diablo 2. He would’ve been buried in a desert ruin and once set free would’ve wandered through the desert back towards civilisation, with monsters/fiends being drawn to him. What exactly his nature was I hadn’t completely landed on
Dec 25, 2022 1:00 pm
I'm here to say I loved 'Adam's Apples'! One of my all time favourites too. What else would you recommend watching out of Denmark?
Last edited December 25, 2022 1:00 pm
Dec 25, 2022 6:58 pm
BedzoneII says:
I'm here to say I loved 'Adam's Apples'! One of my all time favourites too. What else would you recommend watching out of Denmark?
Similar in that vein would be something like "In China They Eat Dogs" (with a very young Kim Bodnia from Killing Eve/The Witcher) or Flickering Lights (another one with both Ulrich Thomsen and Mads Mikkelsen). Although it’s been a while since I’ve seen either, so don’t know how they’ve aged. If you’re into historical dramas "A Royal Affair" (Mads Mikkelsen and Alicia Vikander) is pretty good.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.