Good tablets for gaming

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jul 21, 2016 2:31 pm
Hello,

I'm interested in picking up a tablet, and I was wondering if anyone might have any feedback on a tablet, 2-in-1 laptop, or the like that is a good tool for use in gaming. Horror stories are welcome as well!

Thank you!
Jul 21, 2016 4:43 pm
I am a apple guy. So i like the ipad. I have an app a virtual tabletop which i use for face to face and then i send it to my appletv so they can see it on the tv.

Also i paid for the extra roll20 to use it online. I like having a backup incase my macmini doesn't work for some reason.
Jul 23, 2016 5:37 pm
I am a big fan of the Galaxy tablet line myself, and I use it for PDF's all the time. I also can recommend the Surface if you are looking for a Windows experience.
Jul 23, 2016 5:43 pm
Cool, good to know. I don't really have too much experience with the Galaxy tablets at all, so I wasn't even thinking about those. I'll definitely check them out.
Jul 24, 2016 8:01 pm
What do you mean by "good for gaming"? Reading PDF? Character folio apps? Virtual tabletop apps?

I am also an Apple guy and I love my iPad mini 2, but it's getting a bit old and some of the newer PDFs that are 400+ pages take a second or two to render each page. But I don't do any VTT on it, just PDFs, so it's still working just fine for me.
Aug 18, 2016 1:13 pm
Mostly I just meant a tablet that people felt was useful for reading PDFs, and had the appropriate bells and whistles a gamer might need. I know there's always apps, but wasn't sure if there was something people thought stood above and beyond the rest. For a portable option I've been kind of toying with something like the ASUS Flip Chromebook. It looks a like a slick, and very versatile device.
Aug 18, 2016 7:06 pm
A nice to have app if you play Pathfinder is HeroLab. Basically a character sheet/builder that has all the rules built in.

It's a bit expensive (and books beyond the core is extra), but does all the math for you (which may be a bit for high level PCs). I mention it because it's iPad only, so if you plan on getting it you need to take that into consideration. The iPad mini is a good choice if you want something portable.
Aug 18, 2016 7:12 pm
Come to think of it. I think some (maybe all, I dunno?) of the Surface tablets can run win 10 apps. In that case you'll be able to run the standard windows version of HeroLab. Might not be the best experience for a touch interface, but should work.

If you're looking for something that's works both as a laptop and a tablet that might be something to check out. I haven't tested them myself though, so can't make a recommendation for or against them.
Aug 18, 2016 7:18 pm
A friend of mine has that. It's a solid app and works really well, and thank you for the suggestion.
Aug 18, 2016 7:24 pm
Glad to be of help :)
Aug 19, 2016 12:15 am
I've got an iPad Air 2 and I love having my PDFs in it. Seems to handle even the monstrous 600+ page Exalted 3e PDF without much trouble with search and everything being pretty smooth. I also use the free Microsoft one note app a lot for session prep. Still looking for a decent way to post on this site...I do it but it's a little clunky
Aug 19, 2016 3:43 am
I've seen some great deals on iPads recently as well. I'm not a great fan of Apple, but they do make a quality product.
Aug 19, 2016 4:33 pm
I'm thinking about picking up an ipad pro for such purposes while i travel (which I do weekly).
Aug 19, 2016 5:31 pm
I use my phone for most things (Galaxy S6). It's big enough to read pdfs of most things (with pinch to zoom), has a ton of storage, and can copy and store files right off my home computer. I also have a diesel iPad (first gen) which essentially can do nothing anymore (other than act as a browser) as Apple doesn't support prior stuff.
Last edited August 19, 2016 5:31 pm

You do not have permission to post in this thread.