Ch. 3 Hobgoblins, Orcs, and Undead oh my!

Dec 30, 2022 5:56 am
A walled enclosure with stone building houses a variety of people from all three of the major political groups. Guards patrol the wall top that, unlike most of the buildings it encloses, is cut stone. The buildings are mostly magically shaped stone with pieces of the original stonework seen here and there. The docks crowded with crates of supplies coming in daily and a few, though increasing, number of return crates with artifacts, relics, and records recovered from the ruins of what was once a great city. The streets are wide and like the building formed of magically shaped stone in a simple geometric pattern with gutters for the frequent rains to wash away the mud tracked in from the swamp to the west.

Filled with an odd assortment of researchers, both secular and spiritual, an odd assortment of craftsmen, both mundane and magical, and a larger number of guards and scouts. Many of the last set are adventurers here seeking fortune and glory.

In a building at the north edge of the compound a gathering of the expeditions leaders and scouts is forming up inside the administrative and storage building. With all the boxes shoved to the sides forming tiered steppes with the middle clear so all can see each other this will be the first time most have seen all the parties present.
Dec 30, 2022 4:38 pm
As you enter you pass the scouting notice board that has been moved into the room for this meeting. The simple job details posted in the common ideograms are expounded in full text for those that are litterate. The clerk is standing nearby reading details out loud from a scroll.

Team Assignment (Required)
Take city ruins
• Secure access to any of the city remnants or standing ruins
• The residential Remnant to the NW has been scouted and partially cleared. Orcs are known to still be present and may be infected with lycanthropy.
Collect information on Hobgoblin
• They have taken a expedition scout, a Duergar wizard named Klim.
• They are known to be in Remnants to the North across the river
Gather information on Orbs and Tower
• Hobgoblins are known to be investigating these
• Dasyra Valdi, an elf artificer, is known to be able to manipulate the Orbs and claims affiliation with the Tower
Resolve increasing Undead on island
• Sign of possible ritual activity have been discovered in the cemetery
• Movement was detected at a cemetery buildings in the river

Commissions (Optional)
Resolve Dark Fey trouble
• Contact the Grippli for directions to their cave
Kobold activity increasing
• They are known to be based somewhere to the SW
• They are known to be in conflict with the goblins and hobgoblins.
Retrieve historical or magical items or records
• Talk with Dean, a sentient golem who resides in the NW corner of the swamp
Dec 30, 2022 4:47 pm
Nash stops and looks at the board. "Hey guys... y'think we can enlist the kobolds to help us attack the hobs and get Klim back?"

He turns to the rest. "Think about it! If we play it right we can build an actual long-term alliance, put down the hobs, and rescue Klim. If the kobolds actually agree to ally with us, that's a lot of personnel and resources we'd have access to."
Dec 30, 2022 5:02 pm
Jax responds to the idea with a look of interest that sinks after a few moments. I like the idea of enlisting an army of kobolds, but Klim and I have killed a lot of them around here. It may make them a bit standoffish. Then again, it may also help us force them into submission, so it’s worth a try I guess. Add it to the list of things to do. We still need to question the captured hobgoblins. I also wanted to talk to a wizard for a spell for hire, and maybe some pixies. Jax rubs his temple at the thought of their extended itinerary.
Last edited December 30, 2022 5:03 pm
Dec 30, 2022 5:09 pm
Danoll
The scout with the most experience, Dannol sits to the side conversing with Woosaa who leads one of the other scouting parties. Danoll has been the primary point of contact between the Grippli and the expedition. He and his team routinely patrol the swamp and the area to the SW and was the one to report on the increase in kobold activity.

Woosaa
Almost as experienced as Danoll she left the lead scout team to focus on her arcane studies and is often seen around Fiznik when not on patrol. She has been looking into the Dark Fey issue but with little success.

Phlan
The expedition administrator sits comfortably in a chair close to the notice board patiently waiting all to arrive.

Tyren
The captain of the guard sits near the entrance with a stoic look, likely cultivated to hide how he feels about pointless meeting that he has no control over. When he speaks he reports on the continued annoyance with the Dark Fey, glaring at Woosaa, concern about the undead on the island and kobolds to the south. The base is secure, for the most part, and he is working with Valpip to prevent further Fey incursions on base.

Fiznik
The rather ancient wizard sits holding his staff and alternating between staring out a window and studying the scouts. When he speaks he talks mostly about his work on resolving the undead on the isle but indicates he is handing that off to Lord Felspar so he can focus on the Orbs and Tower.

Myreana
The lead archeologists sits awkwardly between Fiznik and Valpip, so seem to not have a good relationship. She simply states, rather nervously, her eagerness to get into the remnants, glancing at the scouts before sitting down.

Valpip
The familiar figure of the resident artificer sits atop a crate larger than himself while focusing on something he work on between his legs. When called on he simply states he is busy working on everything and sits down.

Lord Felspar
The elderly high priest sits comfortably on a small crate chatting with Sellindra, who sits next to him. Though polite to the adventurers he associates more with the researchers or stays in the temple he has dedicated. He states that recent discoveries on the island cemetery may allow him to finally shatter the necromancy ritual that is continuing to raise undead there but he will need further assistance.

Lady Sellindra
The lead combat cleric who tends to the wounded with a couple of acolytes. She is friendly and known to any who have suffered injury in the service of the expedition. She has little to report and simply reminds everyone to be careful of poisons and diseases, suggesting the scouts stock up on Potions of Lesser Restoration if they expect to be away form the base for any extended period of time.
Dec 30, 2022 5:16 pm
Nash shakes his head, and then offers a smile. "There's a lot to do, no doubt. And, I want to get Klim back as soon as we can. The work seems neverending. But... we can't let that get to us. If that last bit with the orb is any indicator of what you guys are up to out there, we're doing some real good.

I only brought up a possible alliance because honestly? We can't fight everyone -- at least, not successfully -- and if we can bring some more people around to our side, it takes some of the weight off our shoulders. Offering them a seat at the table might bring them around."

The half-elf grins mischievously and claps Jax on his shoulder. "Besides... maybe down the road, we get allied dragons out of it."
Dec 30, 2022 5:24 pm
Hak reaches into the pile of loot and pulls out the
[ +- ] Nature's Mantle
Then he quietly sneaks away to try it on, and admire himself in a mirror or a pond. He will also hide behind Jax to test it out.
Last edited December 30, 2022 5:25 pm
Dec 30, 2022 5:25 pm
After everyone is gathered Phlan stands and introduces everyone then has each give a brief introduction of their current efforts. (see above) After each speaks Phlan opens the floor for a few questions before moving on.
OOC:
Ask any questions or request you may have at this point and we will "end" the meeting once everyone has decided on a course of action.
Questions about the situation can be asked in character or directly and will be answered in kind. I will add background details that the characters would have picked up around the camp.
Dec 30, 2022 5:38 pm
When the floor is opened to questions, Nash will stand and take the opportunity. "Thank you all for your time. I have two questions, and I'll do my best to make them quick. The first is, have we considered proposing an alliance with the kobolds? It's an idea I brought up to the leader of my team, but I wanted to hear other's thoughts. We can all agree we are fighting on numerous fronts. My understanding is the kobolds have already seen we are a strong foe... and we share common enemies. It could be a chance to bolster our numbers, and allow is to focus our assets on fewer immediate issues. It's... just a thought.

My second question... one of my party, Klim, was taken by hobgoblins who confronted us with a dishonest offer to duel when we were already considerably weakened. We are getting Klim back. The question is, who wants to help us?"
Last edited December 30, 2022 5:38 pm
Dec 30, 2022 6:21 pm
Danoll
The kobolds appear to have moved in around the same time or just after the goblins. Though we have clashed a few times with them it has never escalated like the Griffin with the goblins and hobgoblins. We have mostly tried to stay out of each others way.
Phlan
With the hobgoblin conflict escalating I see no reason not to attempt an alliance. As for Klim, we regret his loss and will assist if we may but all scouts are volunteers and aware of the risk. I am not sure we are up for a final assault on the hobgoblins, who we believe out number us. A small inflation may be more likely to succeed. and he glances at the other scouts present.
Dec 30, 2022 6:44 pm
If you’re talking about risks then getting Klim back is obviously the thing to do. I don’t have to tell you how many times Klim demonstrated his superior ability to the vast majority of your forces. Naturally he’s an asset that can’t be sacrificed easily. Jax bristles at what he believes to be an overly detached response to Klim’s capture. However, he maintains a respectful, if firm, tone as he speaks. But as it happens, I agree with you. I don’t want war, I just want to rescue Klim and maybe kill two particular hobgoblins. We’ll go ourselves, maybe with two or three more people for backup. What you can do is secure us a few spells that we’re currently lacking. Either for free or at a discount, considering the situation.
Dec 30, 2022 7:00 pm
Nash leans over to Jax, and quietly adds, "And a party to act as a rear guard, to help cover our exit when we bail out. Because when we take Klim, the hobs are gonna be pissed."

Fiznik

Psybermagi

Dec 30, 2022 7:10 pm
Fiznik
I have not problem providing a few charms at "discount" in exchange for a favor or information. Let us talk specifics afterwards
Dec 30, 2022 8:01 pm
Quindon sits a bit to the back of the meetingplace, listening to the the catman, halfelf and expedition leaders. The way they talk about the loss of one of the scouts is a bit unsettling and while he caresses the pommel of his rapier, the halfling rogue ponders whether these people are actually to be trusted. They left hom on the island as well.

But the halfling is not about to speak up at this time about his doubts. His party members are better placed to do so. Nevertheless, he does offer his support to the scout team of Jax. "If you need support for getting one of our own back, you can count me in."

He gives a meaningful look at Larynda when the priest talks about a breakthrough on the undead front. Quindon is quite interested in hearing what the next steps would be, but with a half gesture of his chin, nudges the drow paladin to take the lead on that.
OOC:

Quindon will ask for more intel on the undead (next steps), but will do so only when others don’t ask it for him or when the meeting is coming to an end.
Dec 30, 2022 9:10 pm
Your goodwill to risk own (an not only) lives for a person who came here from Underdark is touching! Drow woman speak to Nash and Jax warmly
Rescue mission launched into the hart of hostile territory who's forces outnumber ours. That's something I just can't afford to miss participating! Count me in! She cries perhaps even overly enthusiastic.

But she suddenly drop her voice and turns to Phlan to ask in a casual if a bit sad voice:
May I ask however. What, or Who are the reason of the named hobgoblin conflict escalating? I am not participating man's vendetta or hobgoblin genocide with the only goal being revenge. I'm sorry if it feel wrong, but I've fought undead already and I hear of a lycanthropy, I just refuse to believe killing humanoids is what I have came to Shattered lands for.

Looks like she either ignored or forgot about Quindon's hints. That's here question - why are we even in a conflict with hobgoblins and not solving that conflict?
Dec 31, 2022 12:48 am
The hobgoblin forces have been a plague in this swamp. They seek control of the orbs, magical artifacts of great, if unpredictable, power. We don’t know what they want them for, but these orbs can punch holes through realms pretty easily, so we know that it isn’t good. They grabbed Klim while we were on our way back from securing a ruin with an orb inside claiming they had questions. Sufficed to say that his rescue is the highest priority, lest the goblins completely derail the expedition as a whole. Jax responds to the newcomers honestly and to the point. He elects not to address the part about vendettas, as Jax does very much intend to carry out one of his own.
Dec 31, 2022 8:04 pm
Phlan
At this point Phlan speaks up I would like to point out that the hobgoblins did promise not to kill Klim and left hostages with us. From what I understand of the fight they could quite likely have simple defeated all of you and taken who or what they wished. I am not opposed to trying to recover him but would propose more information would be prudent before forming a plan of action.

Psybermagi sent a note to GreyWord,Librarian_Astelan
Dec 31, 2022 9:58 pm
A hobgoblin Devastator attack us right after we secured an orb and sent it to the tower. They talked of their questions, though I’m not sure what Klim could tell them. Regardless, this isn’t just a matter of one guy getting kidnapped. It’s an escalation of the hostilities of a large faction. And a beast should never trust the words of a hunter. Don’t be so sure that they won’t kill Klim and abandon the hostages once they have what they want. Whatever they’re doing, it’s a higher priority than swatting kobolds or mopping up the undead left on that island now that the portal is closed there.
Last edited December 31, 2022 10:02 pm
Jan 1, 2023 7:25 pm
Tyren (Captain)
Captain Tyren of the guard speaks up at this point. I would like to point out that while the base camp if secure that both the Hobgoblin and Orc forces seem to outnumber us and all of their forces are of a military nature. Dannol and Woosaa please give a brief report on the other forces in the area.

Danoll
From what we have observed it looks like the Hobgoblins are now focusing on the Remnants on the northern bank. Fortunately the Orc forces that moved in from the north west have been contending with them so neither has really paid much attention to us. Unfortunately it looks like the orcs are securing the Remnants here on this side of the river. Jax and his team encountered some in a Remnant that had been controlled by the hobgoblins. Luckily they do not seem interested in attacking us. It's almost like there is a contest going on and we don't even know what the prize is.

Woosaa
The kobolds were initially contending over the entire region with the goblins but when the hobgoblin battalions moved into the area the kobolds were forced to the south away from the Remnants. There are a few bands of bugbears wandering the area harassing everyone but the hobgoblins who occasionally pull the bugbears into service. The kobolds have also been getting reinforcements from the south but appear to be primarily harassing's both the other forces and just wandering around, possibly looking for something.

Lord Felspar
Standing to get the floor Felspar's mellow but powerful voice brings a feeling of safety and peace I do believe that with the information recently acquired and the help of some of the less veteran scouts I can make headway on resolving the undead from the cemetery on the island. I am primarily concerned with preventing the creation of additional undead and will leave giving rest to those already forced to their pitiful state to the scouts and others dedicated to the defense and sanctity of life. It will take at most a tenday to complete the preparations the properly dedicate the entire cemetery and prevent it from being used to spawn additional undead.

Phlan
We will of course still need to find and break the ritual but Larynda and Quindon's discoveries give us a direction to work. Unfortunately I expect the necromancers to not take this peacefully and they may offer resistance. Likely we will need to do something about them before we are able to safely have the time for Lord Felspar to sanctify the area.
Looking to Jax and the other scouts Should the efforts to secure the return of Klim be too prolonged we may need to call upon you along with the other scouting teams to work more vigorously to resolve the undead on the island. But we are not to that point yet.
I would ask that in your efforts to free Klim you investigate and if feasible attempt negotiations with the Hobgoblins to see if we can form an agreement with them to prevent further hostilities.
Jan 1, 2023 10:26 pm
Fine, I can take that. But I’m not bending over backwards to make nice with an aggressor. If they’re smart, they’ll give Klim back unharmed and we can use that for better relations going forward.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.