Ask Me Anything: monstersaurus90

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

monstersaurus90

bowlofspinach

Jan 4, 2023 8:33 am
In an attempt to get to know the community and other users on GP better, we want to allow a different member each week to step into the spotlight.
You can find more information here.
About me:
Name: Monstersaurus
Professional: Teacher/Coach
RPG interests: Strictly D&D. I’ve dabbled in others, particularly WoD and Shadowrun, but don’t really have the time or mental space to learn new systems at the moment.
Non RPG interests: Board Gaming, trivia, football (American), cooking, and video games
Other: I’ve been with my wife for 17 years and married for 12. We have a wonderful (most of the time) 4 year old boy. I’m a Christian and my faith heavily influences how I live.

Ask Me Anything.
There are no further AMAs lined up after this one, so if you are interested, please apply to do an AMA next in this thread.
monstersaurus90
Jan 4, 2023 9:02 am
I know for me it was a time issue, also compounded by a small kid at around the same age as yours, but I was wondering what has drawn you to play-by-post? Have you tried it before or is this your first pbp site?
Last edited January 4, 2023 9:02 am
Jan 4, 2023 9:04 am
Standard question for anyone with cooking in their interests: What's a simple dish you like to make regularly?

Do you prefer Dungeons or Dragons?
Jan 4, 2023 9:41 am
-why the Piranhas? 😱

-And, as an Oklahoma resident, can you tell us some fun local legends you heard? Cryptids, maybe? Heard the Wichita Mountains are full of mysterious critters!
Jan 4, 2023 12:15 pm
Sassafras says:
I know for me it was a time issue, also compounded by a small kid at around the same age as yours, but I was wondering what has drawn you to play-by-post? Have you tried it before or is this your first pbp site?
So I was on this site about 7 years ago then life happened and I left. Now I’m back but had forgotten all my old stuff including email so I made a new account. PbP intrigued me because it allows me to mostly play at my own pace. There’s also not a lot of people I know that play or could play regularly.
bowlofspinach says:
Standard question for anyone with cooking in their interests: What's a simple dish you like to make regularly?

Do you prefer Dungeons or Dragons?
The thing I probably make most often, even though it’s technically baking not cooking, is triple chocolate brownies.

And Dragons, always dragons.
Dr_B says:
-why the Piranhas? 😱

-And, as an Oklahoma resident, can you tell us some fun local legends you heard? Cryptids, maybe? Heard the Wichita Mountains are full of mysterious critters!
They’re actually quippers, piranha-like D&D monsters and idk, I just like them.

There are Big Foot airings in Oklahoma but the coolest thing for me is the Ghost Light. It’s the same thing the Pixar Cars short is based on.
Jan 4, 2023 3:01 pm
Dr_B says:

I forgot to mention that the Cherokee are really into Bigfoot. Lol. There's also an Oklahoma "lake monster" that's supposedly a giant octopus. Wichita area is also where H.P Lovecraft and Zelia Bishop set their collab piece, The Mound. That's my favorite HPL piece...as problematic as it is. It's quietly hilarious from my perspective.

Now as for my question to Monstersaurus... You said that you've dabbled in other games but prefer D&D. What drew you to other games and what do you prefer to see in games you like?
Last edited January 4, 2023 3:01 pm
Jan 4, 2023 3:05 pm
witchdoctor says:
Dr_B says:

I forgot to mention that the Cherokee are really into Bigfoot. Lol. There's also an Oklahoma "lake monster" that's supposedly a giant octopus. Wichita area is also where H.P Lovecraft and Zelia Bishop set their collab piece, The Mound. That's my favorite HPL piece...as problematic as it is. It's quietly hilarious from my perspective.

Now as for my question to Monstersaurus... You said that you've dabbled in other games but prefer D&D. What drew you to other games and what do you prefer to see in games you like?
The only thing that really drew me to other games is that is what other people were playing. I've only played WoD once and I've only played the video games for Shadowrun. I'm interested in all sorts of game, but don't have the mental space or time to really learn anything. I like that D&D is pretty straightforward. I am interested in Masquerade, though.
Jan 4, 2023 4:10 pm
What kind of music do you like? Do you listen often?
Jan 4, 2023 4:12 pm
monstersaurus90 says:
There are Big Foot airings in Oklahoma but the coolest thing for me is the Ghost Light. It’s the same thing the Pixar Cars short is based on.
Very cool, that Ghost Light stretch of road sounds like one to investigate, one day...
witchdoctor says:
There's also an Oklahoma "lake monster" that's supposedly a giant octopus.
ha! a freshwater octopus, and giant, to boot 😎
Jan 4, 2023 5:00 pm
Windyridge says:
What kind of music do you like? Do you listen often?
I enjoy a wide variety of music, mostly 70s - 2000s music. I don't listen to a lot of music, I mostly listen to podcasts.
Jan 4, 2023 8:21 pm
I, also, live in Oklahoma so hello neighbor! In addition to the ghost light that may have been debunked (but who am I to cast doubt on spooky stories created on rural roads) there is Magnetic Hill where you put your car in neutral and it rolls uphill.

The giant octopus is a new one on me and tickles me since Oklahoma's over 200 lakes are man made so that means someone's familiar must have escaped.

I am always curious about customs and for many that starts at home. Do you and your family have traditions whether holiday themed or not? I have a friend that every time they return home from out of state they start singing Oklahoma! when they hit the border.
Jan 4, 2023 8:35 pm
What's your NFL team to cheer for, the Titans? Who do you expect to win the AFC?
Jan 4, 2023 9:46 pm
CherokeeWind says:
I, also, live in Oklahoma so hello neighbor! In addition to the ghost light that may have been debunked (but who am I to cast doubt on spooky stories created on rural roads) there is Magnetic Hill where you put your car in neutral and it rolls uphill.

The giant octopus is a new one on me and tickles me since Oklahoma's over 200 lakes are man made so that means someone's familiar must have escaped.

I am always curious about customs and for many that starts at home. Do you and your family have traditions whether holiday themed or not? I have a friend that every time they return home from out of state they start singing Oklahoma! when they hit the border.
Funnily enough, my wife and I also sing Oklahoma! as we enter the state. Other than typical Christian traditions, we don’t have many.
Qralloq says:
What's your NFL team to cheer for, the Titans? Who do you expect to win the AFC?
I’m a proud Patriots fan. I expect KC to win the AFC.
Jan 5, 2023 3:07 am
What is your favourite parody/satirical material for gaming? Is there someone/something that just does a great job of skewering the hobby and it's fans?
Jan 5, 2023 3:12 am
Phil_Ozzy_Fer says:
What is your favourite parody/satirical material for gaming? Is there someone/something that just does a great job of skewering the hobby and it's fans?
I’m not entirely sure what you’re asking. Maybe I’m dumb or maybe I’m tired. Lol.
Jan 7, 2023 3:02 am
monstersaurus90 says:
Phil_Ozzy_Fer says:
I’m not entirely sure what you’re asking. Maybe I’m dumb or maybe I’m tired. Lol.
I was thinking of stuff like Knights of the Dinner Table, or anything that pokes fun at gaming/gamers.
Jan 7, 2023 11:17 am
Cattle or sheep?
Jan 7, 2023 9:19 pm
So when do you plan to GM here?
Jan 7, 2023 10:31 pm
What's been your favorite PC or NPC you've run in the past four years? What made them special?

You do not have permission to post in this thread.