Stryker in the dark

Feb 6, 2023 1:18 am
After arriving at the expedition base Stryker ponders over the events that lead him to this place.
OOC:
@Basil Read over this thread as is is the common introduction for most up to the enlistment.
Narrate what brought Stryker here and what he is looking for in this place. Players are all scouts and currently under contract. Let me know if you want to go contract or freelance. It is explained in the thread linked above. I will get you set and out the door with an NPC partner after your first post.
Feb 6, 2023 7:58 pm
Having traveled through the night Stryker finally arrived in basecamp. A morning stretch is met with rebellion. His body reminding him that he is not quite as flexible as he once was. Smiling sardonically to himself he continues undeterred.

Once a Knight Angel….No.. STILL an Angel, Stryker introspects. As long as he draws breath, he will do what he must. What he was trained to do. No way he was going to relegated to being a wetnurse for prospectives. If anything, his face would probably return them to their mothers.

Even though he was denied a new inquisition, he knew it was for the best. He could no longer keep up with his brothers and sisters. He missed their comradery and the righteous work. No matter, with or without, the good work would continue; After all someone has to keep an eye on the dark, and there is no shortage of that on the frontier.
OOC:
Long story short, due to his injuries Styker has been put out to pasture. He believes he still has plenty of fight left in him even if his superiors think otherwise. Instead of being relegated to training new recruits, a huge demotion in his mind, he would rather continue fighting, even if it means fighting alone. Hard Headedness is an Angel trait. He would probably want to go freelance, but work directly with any established military element since he is a soldier.
Last edited February 6, 2023 8:02 pm
Feb 8, 2023 3:44 am
Stryker gives a nod to Phlan, "Scout or Freelance you say? Of late, I have found that I like having options and the freedom to come and go as I please. Lets see what on notice board shall we?"

Stryker looks through the notices, hoping to find something well suited to his strengths and experiences.
Feb 8, 2023 4:01 am
After leaving the wagons he came with, there still bein no roads and from what Stryker can tell there are no plans to make any, he is shown a bunk and given a hearty meal with mead, ale, water, or water flavored with local juices. They do pretty well here. From what Stryker has heard the entire expedition is supported by private financers and they plan to keep politics out of it. Unfortunately the location of this site was leaked somehow and there were other forces moving in to claim what they want. So far there are kobolds and a bunch of goblinoids, though they still suffer from internal conflict common to that particular collection of races.

In the morning you get another good mean and then you and a bunch of the other new recruits meat with one of the original adventurers at the clerks office. Danoll is now the lead scout though you hear he mostly does the safer jobs as he is getting on in years. He explains the basics of the situation and says to talk with the clerk if you want specifics. He introduces the boar and reiterates.

Danoll
Basically there are 2 job types for you lot. Guard and Scout. If you want a nice save job with occasional mind numbing terror, be a guard. If you want constant adventure, perpetual danger, and occasional loot, be a scout. There are 2 types of scout, freelance and contract. All contracts are for 1 month with options to extend if you want. Contracts cover room, board, some supplies, and most importantly healing. Contract scouts always work with a partner. Freelancers just come and get jobs available. However you will only be paid upon proof of completion. You are still under contract of secrecy, not that it means much now but the money insists.

Let me know if you have any questions. My own patrol starts in half an hour

Current Freelance Contracts
Hunting : Bring in meat for the expedition. Bag of holding will be provided along with a magical butchers knife upon request
Tracking : Follow dark Fey to their lair and return with the information
Delving : Explore crypts in the islands cemetery. Most are submerged.
Independent : A golem in the NW corner of the swamp need some help. Contact the clerk for directions
Feb 8, 2023 2:11 pm
Stryker rubs his chin…and considers the jobs briefly before making a decision. Returning to the clerk he hands over the notice, "Tell me about this one…What’s going on with the Fey?"

clerk

Psybermagi

Feb 8, 2023 2:55 pm
clerk
The youth shrugs There are a bunch of get in the area. Most are wild and stay clear but some of the dark Fey have been sneaking into camp for a while and some have been causing trouble. Annoying pranks or minor theft mostly. But the archimage thinks they are after something. But we haven't caught any and they haven't told us what they want.

The job is to either track them to any common point or to talk with them. If you can get them to stand still. The archimage thinks this is organized so though they're are multiple types involved they must be taking orders or communicating. If we can find out the reason for their presence in the base or where they are getting orders then we can take steps to dissuade them or placate them as needed.

If you are going solo you can't get paid until the information is verified.
If you go with a partner or sign up for a contract it simplifies the money, if that is a concern for you.
Feb 8, 2023 3:42 pm
Stryker waves off the Clerk, "I am in no hurry to get paid and for the moment I do not want to be slowed down by a partner. Do you have any more information on the thefts. For instance, from whom and what was stolen?"

clerk

Psybermagi

Feb 8, 2023 5:13 pm
clerk
the boy chuckles They seem to enjoy pulling pranks on the guards. Maybe to distract them so others can do the stealing. he shrugs But most of the thefts are from the researchers. Which is why it is getting any attention. They seem to be looking for something. We're not sure if it is information or am item. You can go talk with the wizard Fiznik if your like or Myreana the lead archeologist
Feb 8, 2023 5:18 pm
"Thanks, good idea. Is there an inn nearby where I can get some rest and store my gear?"
Last edited February 8, 2023 5:18 pm

clerk

Psybermagi

Feb 8, 2023 5:29 pm
clerk
There is the baracks, 1 silver a night with a lock box. Meals are extra. There is an inn, a bit more expensive, over by the cantina to the south. They serve meals or you can go to the cantina to eat. The cantina is more for the guards and most researchers prefer the inn's dinner
OOC:
Check out the handout and you can 'wander ' the base and let me know where you go.
Feb 8, 2023 6:18 pm
Tipping his hat in thanks Stryker makes his way to the Barracks. Although not "Active Duty" he still feels more comfortable around martial types (especially military) and hopes to find some respite before further explorations.
OOC:
Any special consideration for Soldier Background at the Barracks?
Feb 8, 2023 6:23 pm
OOC:
You will have a lower DC on insight, persuasion, etc. Give me an outline of activities and questions if you want and I can drop a bigger post. Baracks coming later tonight
Feb 8, 2023 6:53 pm
Wizard Fiznik:

"Well met Sir mage. My name is Stryker. Forgive my interruptions but I hear you have had some issue with the Fey of late. Perhaps I can help. My understanding is that there have been a series of thefts that have been frustrating the Archaeologists. Is there anything you can share on that? The clerk tells me you think this is not random occurrence, but the purpose so far has been elusive."
OOC:
Depending on what I get out of Fiznik will determine how I approach the Archaeologist

Fiznik

Psybermagi

Feb 10, 2023 3:13 pm
Fiznik
The wizened mage looks up as you enter his study. Hmm, oh yes the Fey. It am not too certain on what they took, you will need to talk with Myreana about that, but I have been responsible for increasing their security. They have also tried to get into my rooms, that is actually how we identified the problem in the first place. The only idea I have is that they seemed more interested in lore and knowledge than any valuables. I keep some relatively valuable and attractive materials and through they took some of those, that were I believe discovered while searching for other things, they have only really tried to get past my wards sealing in my research. I believe there are at least 2 types of Fey involved. A scout, that is small and able to move about in darkness without being noticed by most, and a sorcerer, who has been handling the magical barriers I have been putting up. I do believe the sorcerer is not too strong as though they have disabled some of my wards they can not disable many if I layer them, which I have taken to doing. Unfortunately this takes time whenever I have to restore them so there is a limit to the area and items I can truly secure from their efforts.
Feb 10, 2023 6:28 pm
To operate like that means they are quite determined. Hmmm… What sort of research are you working on and have you had any interactions with the Fey recently? Anything no matter how fleeting may be significant. For instance, perhaps a mention of something that may have seemed trivial? They are a strange folk.

Stryker continues speaking with the mage, flipping over puzzle pieces before trying to assemble anything.

Stryker would like to ask:
Have you spoken to anyone else about your research?
What was stolen from your office?
When did these thefts begin?
Feb 10, 2023 6:42 pm
The fey are a disconnected yet powerful local faction. The grippli, local frog men in the swamp, are on good terms with them. No formal contact has been made with the fey but they have been seen about and mostly mind their own business if we do the same. He has not interacted with any Fey

Fiznik researches any writing found in the area to ascertain if they relate to magic then passes them on to the archeologist for further study. Nothing of note, from his point of view, has yet to be turned up. He only discusses his research with Myreana and occasionally with Phlan.

Items began disappearing a two tenday ago. Fiznik has lost several smaller gemstones, of little value but useful for spells and rituals, as well as a few precious metals, other ritual materials, and some papers and books on planar travel and summoning. The books are merly reference and study material for apprentices he keeps for others to read if they need.
Feb 10, 2023 8:11 pm
Stryker politely tips his hat. "Thank you. I’m off to see Myrena. If you think of anything useful please let me know. Ill be staying in the barracks. With any luck we might be able to deal with this diplomatically."

Stryker pays Myrena a visit.

"Hello and well met" Says Stryker with a tip, "I’ve heard you have had some issues with the Fey. I was just speaking with Master Fiznik and with any luck I might be able to help. Did you have moment?"

Myreana

Psybermagi

Feb 10, 2023 9:04 pm
Myreana
The half-elven scholar is bent over a table studying a small metal disc covered in tiny symbols and runes. After a moment one of her assistants signs, walks over, and picks up the disk. Myreana goes to snatched it back and the assistant uses the opportunities to get her attention directed towards you. Hm, what? looking you over she asks Well, what have you got? Where is it. Hand it over man. And she holds out her hand impatiently glaring at you.
Feb 10, 2023 9:26 pm
"My apologies, Lady Myreana" says Stryker Tipping his hat in greeting "I think you misunderstand. I am here regarding the Fey that have been shall we say... bothersome of late."

"I was just speaking with Master Fiznik and it seems the Fey have taken an interest in you both. If you have a moment, I would like to discuss the matter and perhaps take actions on your behalf to resolve this. Is this a good time? I promise to be brief as I can see you have much to do."

Myreana (Archeologists)

Psybermagi

Feb 13, 2023 1:57 pm
Myreana (Archeologists)
Sigh Now is fine. I just dont understand why no one understands the importance of this work besides they fey. They are obviously looking for information but their efforts are counter productiv. Little actual knowledge was lost in the Shattering but like much else much of it was fragmented leaving much of our understanding of how things were done in ruin. The fey have been taling little except my notes and a few relics with writing. Once I discovered this pattern I simplly started having everything duplicated imediately as soon as it was cataloged. They Fey seem content to take a copy of some of my notes and sketches of some of the items. But their earlier thefts were not all cataloged so I am not entirely sure what they are trying to accomplish. The extra work is slowing our efforts.
As they Fey have only a very loose heireachy those who are willing to talk with us say they do not know why the others are doing it but have promised to pleade with them on our behalf.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.