Chapter 23 - Spy Games

load previous
Mar 1, 2023 6:52 am
"Definitely not Benny," Al says. "He would mess it up. Benny, you stay with me, as a lookout." Hopefully, that job will satisfy him without causing him to make trouble or argue.

"Alice is definitely our best choice. Too bad Cody is still injured. Bev, maybe we can ask your brother. And for the last one... I don't know if I trust Hock with this plan, even if we could contact him."
Mar 1, 2023 2:01 pm
Bev responds to Al's question. "It couldn't hurt to ask Brian if he'll help--but he's always too busy with football these days and never wants to do anything fun..."
OOC:
Brian = brother
Mar 1, 2023 2:09 pm
"Tell him his new best friend Al is asking," Al suggests with a grin. "Nobody can say no to me!"
Mar 1, 2023 2:26 pm
"Hey... maybe Brian can bring a pal? I mean... he has a football team-sized choice of pals, right?" he suggests.

"Or I could ask Nate Curtis... remember him? I bet he'd be up for spraying a wall... with all the pressure from his lawyer dad..."
OOC:
Nate is the brother of Debbie and Kelly - it was at their house party that the Lindabot went rampaging in the Hunters' very first adventure
Mar 2, 2023 12:45 am
It'd definitely be someone we could trust and we'd have tell them it could be dangerous... Johnny added. Solomon is more dangerous now that he was before and clearly willing to use that power.

He turned to Eddard, Um, is there anything that might help not get mind controlled? Like an herb or a ... a charm or something?

Eddard Linderman

Dr_B

Mar 2, 2023 10:02 am
Eddard Linderman
"With Solomon tapping into the Fulcrum's power?.. I seriously doubt it, Johnny... we cannot hope to fight magic on that scale, or protect against it. All our hopes lie in surprising him. Hopefully, by the time he realizes something is going on, he will be too far and too late to do much about it. If the spell works..."

He grabs a spray-paint can from the kit and shakes it, then adds "now, go find your other graffiti artists, and meet me here when you got them."
OOC:
Alice will definitely accept, let me know how Bev approaches her brother @Dunko - and we need an extra guy
Mar 2, 2023 2:59 pm
OOC:
If I get three raises on a Persuade to Anna, will she play along? 🤣

I think our best bet is that Brian brings someone else along.
Mar 2, 2023 4:26 pm
OOC:
Let's just say that Anna would be very hostile to the idea of graffitis on walls (not a single deviant hair on her), so to fully convince her...
[ +- ] hard work
Mar 2, 2023 4:32 pm
OOC:
I am very tempted to try but I don't think I will 🤣
Mar 2, 2023 6:59 pm
Bev laughs louder than she should at Al's crack about her being her brother's new best friend. "Hey, it's worth a shot, right?"

Her jealousy gets the better of her. Everyone always needs Brian's help... 'ask Brian'; 'go get Brain...' "I'll catch him after his afternoon two-a-day," she says to Al and Logan.

And if no one stops her, she'll hop on her bike and ride for the high school stadium. She'll watch the remainder of the practice, from the hillside overlooking the field, laying in the grass all sweating in her coat.

Then she'll approach him as he heads for the parking lot with his core group of friends. Her approach is going to he persuasive to start, asking as nicely as she can for his assistance.

Brian, Bev's brother

Dr_B

Mar 2, 2023 9:56 pm
https://i.imgur.com/OJI9zRV.png
Brian, Bev's brother
Brian sees his sister approaching with her embarrassing coat in July, leaves his friends near one of the cars (not his, they can't afford one) and goes to meet her half way, to build a little distance between them and his teammates.
"Hey again Bev... Did you watch me practice? Coach is testing me in tight end position, working quite well so far..."
Getting closer, he reads her expression, or tries to. When he sees Bev has a request, he asks her, "everything alright? What do you need help with?"
OOC:
let's see Bev's pitch @Dunko ! Based on that I'll assign Brian's initial stance for a Persuasion attempt.
Mar 3, 2023 6:00 pm
Bev's spokes *tick, tick, tick* as she slow walks her bike toward further away from the lot. "I have a favor to ask," she says to her big brother.

"You saw I have friends now. They're pretty cool, mostly. Anyway, we have this thing going on with another group, and it's not too fair because they use adults and older kids, but, like, we're in a competition with them and we're supposed to paint these symbols around the town, and if there's anyway we're gonna win we're gonna need other people that are more capable than us to win. You see," she asks.

Just a little truth, and a little lie.

"Can you pah-LEASE help me out and help us do some painting? Please? Maybe you and a friend or two from the team?"

"You owe, from that time, with the rug," she says to headoff protest.
Mar 3, 2023 6:07 pm
OOC:
Bev forgot to mention Al in her pitch. That's gotta be a penalty 🙃
Mar 3, 2023 6:29 pm
OOC:
ha! the rug... you KNOW this will be an Interlude we ask you to tell about, don't you @Dunko?
Brian, Bev's brother
He gives an amused smirk. "You mean paint on walls? Ha! I knew your new friends were a bit crazy... Who are your rivals? he asks, intrigued. Maybe the mention of a competition strikes a chord with him.
OOC:

Hostile
Unfriendly
Uncooperative
>>Neutral<<
Cooperative
Friendly
Helpful

He is Neutral, if you get him to Cooperative he will help you - with a Friendly result or better, he will enlist a teammate too. Persuasion roll, each success/raise shifts the stance downwards one place.

He opposes with Spirit, but I will give him a -2 to his roll, as competition is an irresistible lure for him!
Mar 3, 2023 7:36 pm
Bev wipes the sweat from her brow. I wonder if my sweat could short the batteries stuffed in my coat.

She pushes the intrusive thought aside and answers Brian. "They're, like, a rival club. Our clubs called Monster Hunters--I know lame right?--and they're, like the monsters, like Dracula, and Wolfman, and all that. We're seeing who can claim the most territory for our club, like in Risk."
OOC:
...rolling Per...
...Bev is getting a thrill from this tale, so she's spending a Benny and tempting fate...Re-rolling to get higher than 5...
Benny Spend 2...chasing the stats...😁 4 it is...

I forgot to add the -1 from her wound, so 5-1=4. My total is 4.
Last edited March 3, 2023 7:40 pm

Rolls

Persuasion* - (1d4, 1d6, RA)

1d4 : (2) = 2

1d6 : (5) = 5

1d4 : (41) = 5

1d6 : (3) = 3

1d4 : (1) = 1

1d6 : (4) = 4

Brian, Bev's brother

Dr_B

Mar 3, 2023 7:54 pm
OOC:
rolling, let's see what happens

Brian, Bev's brother

He falls for it bait, line and sinker!

"That sounds actually pretty cool... You know? I got just the man to help us." he says, then calls out to his friends, "Hey Dan! Come over here a minute!"

A red haired teen comes over, Brian puts an arm over his shoulders, "You're into graffiti art, for your skateboarding stuff, right? You'll love this gig my sis got us..."

Bev grins wildly as Brian explains the task with enthusiasm to Dan.
OOC:
both will willingly help!

Rolls

Spirit -2 - (1d6-2, RA)

(1) - 2 = -1

Mar 3, 2023 10:57 pm
With everything ready for their most ambitious project, the Hunters regroup. The magic symbols are ready, the locations scouted, the kit gathered and the crew briefed.

All that's left to do is perform the ritual. Easy, right? What could possibly go wrong?...
OOC:
one Benny each for this amazing prep work!

Looks like a good spot to close this busy chapter. See you all in the next one!

Thread locked