DnD/Pathfinder Organized Play

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jul 29, 2016 8:30 pm
We've had a few games of Chaosium's new Call of Cthulhu organized play, and specially with the uptick of DnD interest, I've been wondering if people would be interested in DnD Adventurers League or Pathfinder Society. I've already confirmed from the DnDAL Twitter account that it would be allowed over PbP and as far as the person who responded knew, no one was doing it over PbP. I haven't heard back from PFS yet. Is this something people would find interesting?

For those unaware on what DnDAL or PFS are, essentially they're canned games that follow a story by season. Players create/use characters, starting with strict guidelines, and play through these games, getting very particular rewards. It may sound restricting, but the advantage is you can play a Organized Play game at your local game store, take that character to a con, play them again, then go back to your game store, and keep playing. Because everything is controlled, characters are very mobile.

I've played one Organized Play game, at Origins last year, and it was interesting. I didn't particularly enjoy it, but it may have been the group I was with. However, I can very easily see the appeal, and wanted to see what other people thought.
Jul 29, 2016 8:39 pm
That sounds like an interesting concept. I don't know how many opportunities I'd have to take advantage of porting the same character everywhere, but it certainly sounds like it'd be fun to have. Consider me interested in a DnDAL game.
Jul 29, 2016 9:03 pm
I think the concept could work out very well here, especially as it would give players the opportunity to leave the game and return later on. GMs could swap in/out as well, or if multiple GMs are running the same month's adventure, be able to converse and coordinate their efforts.

13th Age also has a Organized Play system, and I think Numenera is supposed to start one in the next couple of months.
Jul 29, 2016 9:11 pm
I could add flags to a game and character to indicate they're Organized Play specific, which could help organize.
Aug 2, 2016 1:44 am
I wouldn't be opposed to the Pathfinder organized play. Also, Paizo/Pathfinder have a fairly elaborately organized network of area reps that people can contact for questions about finding groups/organized play whatever. I don't know if they have one for online communities though.
Aug 2, 2016 2:41 am
I'll try to talk to people from both groups at GenCon, see if we can't make GP THE place for OP.
Aug 2, 2016 3:18 am
I had the opportunity to join a D&D AL game at a local mini con a few months back. I didn't like the group, so I didn't have fun. But with you guys I would definitely reconsider it! This thread has prompted me to dig up the DCI card I was given that day and activate it! :-)
Aug 2, 2016 4:22 am
I've enjoyed D&D AL in a convention setting (Dragon Con) as well as online using R20. Each module works as a one off, and you don't have to complete them in order. I wonder how long the typical 4 hour module would take in pbp?
Aug 2, 2016 4:35 am
Cmbrian says:
I've enjoyed D&D AL in a convention setting (Dragon Con) as well as online using R20. Each module works as a one off, and you don't have to complete them in order. I wonder how long the typical 4 hour module would take in pbp?
I would guess, at a 2-3 posts a week schedule, a module would probably take 3-6 months. It's definitely WAY slower, and so may be a complete bust for the medium, but I figured it would be interesting to try? If nothing else, maybe we can organize some Organized Play games over more active mediums through GP.
Aug 2, 2016 1:00 pm
I just wanted to add (after posting previously), I checked, and there's a fairly robust looking PbP presence for Pathfinder Society. I doubt Paizo would have a problem with expanding it though, especially given how popular that Humble Bundle promotion was.
Aug 3, 2016 2:44 pm
I've always wanted to try Pathfinder Society, but as there are no organized play in Norway I haven't had the opportunity. Doing it through gamersplane would be a great way to be able to experience that content, so a big +1 from here ;)
Aug 3, 2016 2:55 pm
Ok, I can't dedicate time to GMing more right now (mostly because of GP development), but would anyone be interested in being the first OP GM? If there's interest in PFS, maybe we start there? I'll help figure out how to run it, and what details you need.
Aug 3, 2016 2:57 pm
Keleth says:
Ok, I can't dedicate time to GMing more right now (mostly because of GP development), but would anyone be interested in being the first OP GM? If there's interest in PFS, maybe we start there? I'll help figure out how to run it, and what details you need.
Depending on the details and how much extra work it is to run, I'd be willing
Aug 3, 2016 3:43 pm
I'd be interested in doing the PFS GMing. Had to pass up the opportunity for it at my local game store

You do not have permission to post in this thread.