What's that setting? (Read as: Who's That Pokémon

Jul 30, 2016 5:12 pm
So I've been inspired and toying with creating my own setting. I don't want another medieval fantasy world. I was thinking of something more like Turn of the Century times where magic and technology mix. Steampunk without steam? I'm wondering if there's already a setting like that.
Jul 30, 2016 5:27 pm
It sounds like you're wanting a Total War type setting?
Jul 30, 2016 6:02 pm
I'm not familiar with that game, and from what I'm reading from my Google search it's not what I'm looking for. Maybe I'm wrong though. Can you tell me about the setting?
Jul 30, 2016 6:33 pm
The name for Steampunk without Steam is Neo-Victorian. Though it mostly refers to an aesthetic quality of mixing Victorian aesthetics with modern technology. Though it is hard to find much on the subject, since it quickly gets lost in the piles and piles of Steampunk crap :). Perhaps one of my favorite genres/aesthetics is Neo-Victorian and I have spent a bit of time trying to craft a world like that (while adding a little bit of Japanese culture and mythology to give it a more fantasy feel).
Jul 30, 2016 7:42 pm
Neo-Victorian. Thanks teaanddice! I'll research that. I hesitated to say/use Victorian era, but maybe it's just what I'm looking for.
Jul 30, 2016 8:26 pm
unique_exemplar says:
Neo-Victorian. Thanks teaanddice! I'll research that. I hesitated to say/use Victorian era, but maybe it's just what I'm looking for.
No problem, I do hope its what you are looking for. :)
Jul 30, 2016 8:34 pm
Just looking through the clothing style has me thinking this is it! I'm thinking Victorian era technology mixed with magic. This may put it closer to the steampunk genre than I intend, but I hope I get the idea across.
Jul 30, 2016 8:45 pm
unique_exemplar says:
Just looking through the clothing style has me thinking this is it! I'm thinking Victorian era technology mixed with magic. This may put it closer to the steampunk genre than I intend, but I hope I get the idea a cross.
That's what I find most annoying about Neo-Victorian. Although it is my personal favorite, it is very difficult to find pure Neo-Victorian, and not a Steampunk-Victorian. Many Steampunk fans equivocate Steampunk and Neo-Victorian. Sad, but I get it :).
Jul 30, 2016 11:25 pm
Try gaslight fantasy, as far as I'm aware that's pretty much what your after, steampunk - steam + magic.
Aug 1, 2016 6:21 am
Anyone interested in this kind of setting please check out our collaborative setting we are going to build over here.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.