Millispil: Bandit Hunt!

Mar 29, 2023 2:35 pm
Spears in the Ice: Interlude
Northlands, Hordaland
Silvermeade Hall
Mid Spring
Late Morning

The Jarl sits before you with two maps sprawled out upon the table. The first is the map you have all seen many times, a weathered series of parchments and leathers that the jarl has kept updated using his own household experiences and notes. It is a mess, but he seems to read it as easily as any map. The second is the map you had found dropped by a fleeing bandit two weeks prior. Between the two, it is clear what the Jarl prepares to ask of you, though he has been silent thus far.

"My huscarls are busy in the moors, and you have proved yourselves capable. I have a task for the lot of you. Track down these bandits and outlaws, and bring them to justice. I suspect that several have bounties on their heads; bring them back if you can, but don't be afraid to bring just the heads. The rest, put to the sword. This is not glorious work, but it is necessary work. You will see in time that such deeds are required to keep a hold in order. Prepare how you will, I expect this to be handled immediately."
OOC:
Millispil means Interlude, supposedly. Note, I don't actually speak Icelandic. The next chapter will likely require a little more experience from you, so let's deal with this subplot before carrying on. Don't worry, it shouldn't take long.
cowleyc sent a note to cowleyc
Mar 30, 2023 2:59 am
"I know little of hunting beasts or men," says Runar. "But it seems best to me that we fight these outlaws at a time and place of our choosing. Perhaps we could bait them into raiding an outlying farmhouse, where we lay in wait. Or perhaps there is some way we may come upon them unaware. There might be better ideas. Have we any?"
Mar 30, 2023 7:43 am
Rin is at the same time honored to be called by the Jarl and disappointed that it often ends up in a chase of some kind. He figures it is hard to escape his reputation. He takes some time to study the maps though. "I don't have a better idea yet, Runar. But what do these maps teach us before we commit to any decision?" he asks.
Mar 30, 2023 9:36 pm
Oren studies the maps and tries to get a sense of where they lead in regards to the bandits whereabouts... He seems to understand not only potential locations but also distances and times of travel. Lastly he is interested in understanding an operational area of the bandits activities.
Mar 30, 2023 9:55 pm
The maps indicate that the bandits are located in the heart of the woods you had traversed not so long ago; roughly twelve miles southwest of Silvermeade Hall. It would take the day to travel out there, and the bandit's map indicates a spring and a cave located in the vincinity of the lair. Little other detail is given, but Yäns and Kara seem confident they can piece the clues together. Any nearby farms are several miles east of the bandit lair, but they haven't reported any consistent raids.
Mar 31, 2023 5:26 am
I have all faith in my ability to track and locate these lowlifes before they even know we are hunting them. Then we can set the terms of the confrontation if you wish, Runar.
Last edited March 31, 2023 5:26 am
Mar 31, 2023 6:20 am
"You know your craft better than I, Yäns," Runar defers to the experienced woodsman. "Are there any preparations we should make before we set out?"
Mar 31, 2023 12:10 pm
"A cave near a spring... Almost an invitation me thinks. We could use you strategy of making them come to us by smoking out the cave if we were to bring oil and green brush..."

Oren remembers this very tactic working well enough on Fox hunts he heard tales of from several hunters in the long house, perhaps the bandits were not even quite so clever as these animals.
Mar 31, 2023 5:19 pm
"Shouldn't we target the middle of the day to arrive there? Or is it better to catch them when it's dark?" asks Rin, genuinely curious.
Mar 31, 2023 6:00 pm
"Mayhaps early morning is best, catch them after they've had their drunk for the night and before they set out to raid the noon day roads."
Mar 31, 2023 9:08 pm
"Agreed" Kara states after assessing the situation. She too feels confident they will be able to track the enemy.
Mar 31, 2023 9:44 pm
The jarl laughs at the idea of hunting the outlaws like animals. "You have a future, my friends. Already you think with a cunning that many of my huscarls lack. But do not forget that they are clever, too, and may have set watch. I have matters to attend to, and so I must leave you now. Return with wet swords, and I will see to it that you are rewarded." With this, he departs the room to allow you to finish your planning.
Mar 31, 2023 11:20 pm
Already feeling he may have overplayed his hand, Oren steps back and let's the more established warriors and trackers finalize the assault. In the meantime the bard fidgets with his new armband, the symbol given to him proving he was no longer a slave but rather a freeman of the community. He felt renewed interest in proving himself to the Jarl and though he felt it right to let others take the lead he wanted desperately to be of use.
Apr 1, 2023 12:22 am
Yäns, aiming to prove himself further in the jarl’s eyes, pronounces:
I will lead this task and bring order once more to this land.
He then looks to the party and realizes that he may not have earned that place yet, but says to them,
Once we quietly take out their watchman, I will set traps around the perimeter. Then we use the bard’s idea and smoke them out. This will work with men as with fox. We will need strong twine and the oil-soaked green brush as well as a tinder kit. We need two on smoke and two more to help build traps. Who wishes to silence their watchman? I will do it with my bow, but it may not be quiet. A man squeals like a boar when he’s shot through. This may call for a closer method.
Last edited April 1, 2023 12:28 am
Apr 1, 2023 5:17 pm
While hearing everybody's suggestions, Rin notices Oren leaving the party. He silently smiles at him, in a sign of sympathy and understanding. To the others he says: "All good ideas. Why not discuss them further while on the road?"
Apr 1, 2023 6:03 pm
"Rin is right. Let's not waste time with idle talk. Maybe first get a lay of the land before discussing who shoots whom?" Kara shoots a sideglace to their self-proclaimed leader. "Let's find some tracks, then a good spot to spend the night. Come morning - if things go right - we'll overrun the lowlifes. If that's alright with you, Yäns." Her voice suggest she's playfully teasing without malice.
Apr 2, 2023 6:45 am
Sensing the edge he is walking, Yäns nods and smiles gratefully at Kara. He has no intention of crossing any in this party, least of all her. He respects the shieldmaiden greatly as he’s only heard of their excellence, but never met one before.
It seems we have like minds on this quest. Let us gather supplies and leave right away.
Apr 2, 2023 2:27 pm
Due to the general nature of the supplies in question, there is no difficulty in tracking them down before departing. And so the party finds themselves on the path before too long. The beginning is familiar, for it is the same path they had taken the daughters along. It does take the rest of the day to travel, and you find yourselves relying on the keen eyes of those with Nûk blood in their veins towards the later parts of the journey. The thick trees defy the sun, and you eventually find yourselves near to where the bandits are located. Supposedly.
OOC:
It is dark, and you have not yet seen the bandit camp. Will anyone scout the area, or will you hope for the best through the night?

Rolls

Encounters

Encounters

Apr 2, 2023 5:19 pm
I and one of you with Nûk ancestors should scout. The rest can setup camp.
Last edited April 2, 2023 5:24 pm
Apr 2, 2023 9:23 pm
"I will help scout, mine eyes are keen as were my mother's."

Oren leaves his lyre at camp and dons his blade to ready for the mission.
load next

Thread locked