[Closed] The Dance of Dreams (Vaesen)

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

ClosedVaesenPrivate1 / daybowlofspinach
THE DANCE OF DREAMS

A shadow play of horror, murder, and revenge!
Let yourself be enraptured and terrified by shadow theater with clockwork as amazing as that of the master’s constructions on the continent. Watch as evil smiles, good people go to their doom, and spirits come to life! Follow Oscar Hjort’s encounter with the Black One, his struggle, and finally the betrayal which claimed his life.
Hear the tunes of the enchanted flute that sends souls dancing to hell.

The show will premiere shortly at the Witch Cat Inn.
Not for the faint of heart!

https://i.imgur.com/2UQ29bL.png

Jun 5, 2023 3:01 pm
THE DANCE OF DREAMS

A shadow play of horror, murder, and revenge!
Let yourself be enraptured and terrified by shadow theater with clockwork as amazing as that of the master’s constructions on the continent. Watch as evil smiles, good people go to their doom, and spirits come to life! Follow Oscar Hjort’s encounter with the Black One, his struggle, and finally the betrayal which claimed his life.
Hear the tunes of the enchanted flute that sends souls dancing to hell.

The show will premiere shortly at the Witch Cat Inn.
Not for the faint of heart!

https://i.imgur.com/2UQ29bL.png

Throughout history, supernatural vaesen have lived side by side with the people of Scandinavia. But these creatures are not perceptible to human senses – unless they choose to be. Invisible, they have helped out on farms, assisted in calving, made sure that stray ewes find their way home, and kept people safe during harsh winters or wildfires, in exchange for some of the farms’ milk and grain. Vaesen have filled the fields with flowers, shown the way to ponds where people can see their future reflected on the surface, and whispered dreams into the ears of the sleeping.
In the nineteenth century, Scandinavia is changed by industrialization, war, and revolutions, and new ways of thinking and understanding the world are spreading through its universities. Old truths are being questioned. The rural poor are pouring into the cities or across the Atlantic to escape starvation, hoping to build a life where they can be free.

The vaesen of Scandinavia are changing as well.
The villagers used to know how to appease the creatures when angry and gain their help with farm work – for instance, they refrained from peeing on the ground where the vaettir have their burrows, and provided the nisse with porridge and a new hat every year. But the old rules and traditions no longer seem to apply. The vaesen have turned aggressive and bloodthirsty, snatching children from the villages, wrecking houses, and setting barns on fire.

I am looking to start up a game of Vaesen. I've seen repeated interest in the system and setting on here before and since I have also been interested in giving it a shot, I'm using my week off to hopefully get us rolling.

I am going to be using - and I am expecting cheers and at least one person fainting from excitement at this point - the Scandinavian setting, as I will be running the introductory adventure from the core rulebook, The Dance of Dreams.

For this, I am looking for three to four players who will take on the roles of Thursday's Children, people blessed (or cursed) with second sight that allows them to see the supernatural vaesen inhabiting this fictionalized version of 19th century Scandinavia. You have been called to revitalize the centuries old and a decade dead Society, dedicated to protecting the land from vaesen and keeping peace between the populations, all while maintaining secrecy about their existence and your abilities. After all, you don't want to end up in an asylum, do you?

➼ This game will have you investigating supernatural occurrences and the dark aspects of both humanity and vaesenkind. Death or permanent insanity for your characters is a possibility and you will encounter violence, murder and other heavy subject matter, including in this specific mystery, domestic abuse.

➼ I am aiming for a fast pace of 1 post/day. You do not have to post every single day, but if you apply, you are committing to a fast-paced game that will probably take at least three to four months.

➼ You do not need to be intimately familiar with the system or the setting, but while I'm always happy to answer questions and help out with character creation and the rules, I would like you to at least have access to the rulebook and the ability to check it yourself.

➼ Please don't already be familiar with the mystery in the back of the corebook.

➼ This game is of course open to any players and characters who break the mold are encouraged.

➼ In order to apply, please post in this thread or send me a direct message. Feel free to already include a basic, rough character concept. Interesting character ideas will make it more likely that I will pick you.
Thank you for reading this post and I hope to hear from you if this has piqued your interest!

https://i.imgur.com/ai2Gj0q.png
Jun 5, 2023 3:39 pm
Interested. FL and the YZE system are quickly becoming some of my favorite gaming things. :)

A quick, rough concept is the son of a British Aristocrat and his wife (a former jewel thief); sent to an asylum when as a child his fear of things others couldn't see became overwhelming. He spent years there before a doctor helped him understand this second sight, and was able to declare him ready for release. Since then, he's travelled, schmoozed, and on occasion used the skills he learned from his mother to aid those in need...
Jun 5, 2023 3:46 pm
I'm interested! I've got a summer vacay lined up though, flying off on the 9th. So while I do intend to do a bunch of pbp during that downtime, I'll also be traveling, if that's ok.
Jun 5, 2023 4:57 pm
This looks so cool. Never heard of this system, but Scandinavian vibes are awesome.

I am in quite a few games though, although not all very active. But considering between them and the plans to start up something as well I'd better skip.

But it looks awesome!
Jun 5, 2023 5:11 pm
Would love to play this game. Have the rulebook, though haven't had time to do more than leaf through it and I've played the Alien RPG once and found the YZE to be a gem of a game, so would love to try it again.
Jun 5, 2023 5:49 pm
v.interested but happy for others to get slots as in a lot of games atm. May request it be public though)
Jun 5, 2023 6:33 pm
Would I be the Scandinavian that you except to be excited to play? I am. :)

Fun fact: i am actually born on a Thursday
Jun 5, 2023 6:34 pm
Damn... it's been ages since I wanted to play a Vaesen game, but unfortunately I have read the intro adventure, so I guess it wouldn't be a good idea to join. :-/

Please consider running another mystery after this one, and if you do so, please consider me! :)
Jun 5, 2023 6:47 pm
Lots of interest already. That's awesome. I'll leave this up for about another day so more people get a chance to see it while I start setting up the forum. It's not first come, first serve, so if you're seeing this now, please feel free to still apply!
LightOfMidnight says:
v.interested but happy for others to get slots as in a lot of games atm. May request it be public though)
I wouldn't mind making it public, unless one of the players will prefer it private.
gnomius says:
Damn... it's been ages since I wanted to play a Vaesen game, but unfortunately I have read the intro adventure, so I guess it wouldn't be a good idea to join. :-/

Please consider running another mystery after this one, and if you do so, please consider me! :)
I'll see how this one goes. I might run something in the British setting afterwards, but no promises. One at a time.

Also, be the GM you want to see in the world 😋 It seems there would be enough interest if you want to run this adventure as well.
Jun 6, 2023 5:09 am
Such a fantastic game — one of my very favorites — and with bowl running it it’s sure to be awesome. Have fun everyone!
Jun 6, 2023 7:58 am
throwing my hat in for this, sounds like it will be a lot of fun!.. I have access to the core rulebook.
Jun 6, 2023 9:29 am
I'm interested in giving this game a try. I'll be out of town all next week on vacation, though, so I won't be able to post then. If that's okay, then I'll submit an application. Considering creating an Occultist or a Writer.
Last edited June 6, 2023 11:20 am
Jun 6, 2023 10:58 am
runekyndig says:
Would I be the Scandinavian that you except to be excited to play? I am. :)

Fun fact: i am actually born on a Thursday
Vaesen in defently on my Games I want to play -list, and I would love to play an older gentleman with bad denglish (English but with Danish sentence structure), but giving the huge interest and I'm in several other games, I can wait for the next Vaesen Game
Jun 6, 2023 2:44 pm
Alright, I've decided to close down the recruiting on this thread and send out invitations to @DungeonCat, @Knighthawke, @Furmyr and @Dr_B.
You can accept the invites here.

I also set the game to public so anyone interested can follow along.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.