Invisible Sun - New RPG Kickstarted today.

Aug 15, 2016 7:23 pm
Monte Cook Games started a kickstarter today and is almost halfway to the base goal. It's a very different spin on RPG gaming I think with a lot of bells and whistles for game mechanics at the table (also baked in mechanics for when a player can't make it and doing things in the down time between games). There's been a bit of speculation and hidden flavor for the vibe of the game on what things might be like people finding data about the game before the kickstarter even started. One example is the geocaching locations hidden on the website/revealed as time went on before the kickstarter that people have investigated.

That said it's pricey, the minimum pledge is around $200 but I figure you get the entire library of books and components (Cards, books for GM/players, custom dice to play with, etc) in one delivery box. Has anyone thought about a game along these lines, plus I'm unsure one could easily playing online only considering all the components and the price tag to get in the door. Thoughts?
Aug 15, 2016 7:40 pm
Damn those shifty bastards! They run such great kickstarters with amazing stretch goals, and I always feel left out when I don't jump in. But damn, converting to Canadian and adding in shipping, that would be.... carry the four... round up... border charges... ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND MILLIONS! My wife would leave me.

To be fair, Numenera and The Strange had similar kickstarters to launch, and after the fact, we have no problem running the games here on GP.
Aug 15, 2016 11:34 pm
I have no idea if this game is PbP friendly; maybe I should reach out to them?

Overall, this seems like an "experience" rather than just a buy. If I had RL friends, I'd def back it.
Aug 16, 2016 2:41 am
Keleth says:
If I had RL friends, I'd def back it.
http://i.imgur.com/mpdgB.gif
Aug 16, 2016 3:11 am
Too many kick starters not enough disposable income...
Aug 16, 2016 12:39 pm
There's a lot in the box, some commenters have said they don't think it's needed and would prefer an all digital pledge level, considering all the physical components I don't know though. If there was an option to push an all digital version plus the web app I figure they would have offered that from the start. Or they figure people would skirt the $200 price tag and go the digital route and use their printer. They've coming out the gate saying it's a premium Kickstarter and from what was dropped and discussed/datamined since the 6th they've spent a few years working on this plus the directed Campaign.
Aug 16, 2016 12:50 pm
I started a thread on facebook for players to find eachother if they wanted to back it as a group. Shanna Germaine and MCG have linked it: https://twitter.com/MonteCookGames/status/765267443887452160
Aug 16, 2016 8:53 pm
I also wish there were a digital option. I think developing an app for play between the GM and one player is a great idea. It's a good way to engage those who are more introverted or those who have character ideas that would take a while to develop without interaction with the rest of the party. I wish the app were more versatile and would allow for group play, or that MCG would license a module for role20 or something. It seems odd that the kickstarter focuses on the innovation of the game taking into account modern obstacles to play like busy schedules, but it fails to acknowledge that many people play games solely online. I'm really tempted to back it--the style seems like something I would enjoy, but I worry it would end up like a lot of RPGs I own, something that sits on the shelf and doesn't get played.
Sep 2, 2016 5:11 pm
Due to stretch goals being meet there's a add-on for what a player would need I think. *pledges for something versus waiting for the GM to let him see what's going on*

You do not have permission to post in this thread.