Hey, there

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Aug 12, 2023 9:41 pm
Definitely give it a shot. With the pitfalls listed out like this, it sounds terrible, but I enjoy it immensely. Games falling apart is an unfortunate part of the hobby, that's true. The pace of games can be very different. I am in some games that only post maybe once or twice a week and in some where there are multiple posts per day. But it is slower than live gaming, that is undeniable.
And as for no feeling of community, I don't think that is the case on GP. If you hang around the public forums and especially if you join the Discord, you'll soon start to recognize names. This site definitely feels like a community to me.
Aug 13, 2023 6:05 am
Aye, there are also things PbP games do better than any other form of the hobby! It's good to have your eyes open about the spots that can be rough, but there are dozens or hundreds of us here who find the payoff well worth it!
Aug 13, 2023 11:56 am
Welcome Wanda!
Aug 14, 2023 6:16 pm
Harrigan says:
Aye, there are also things PbP games do better than any other form of the hobby!
Good to hear that. What are those things in your opinion?
Aug 14, 2023 6:20 pm
I can take time to think through my actions and take the one that matches best. I don't get overwhelmed by anxiety that makes me sit silent through most of the game. Players can get more descriptive than they would in speaking. You can read back through old threads and relive the memories of the game (or search for a bit of info you're not sure on). You can fit more gaming into your schedule than you could with live play.

I'm sure there's more. I just really enjoy this hobby.
Aug 14, 2023 7:31 pm
As a GM, if players "go off the map", it gives you time to prepare for their excursion, either letting them explore this new terrain or finding a way to reel them back in. In-person, if I didn't have those contingencies covered, I was screwed.

I ran/run very "open world" Traveller campaigns, letting the players steer the course of play. Once we switched from in-person to PbEM, things really took off. Knowing that they could freely travel just about anywhere they wanted, really made the game enjoyable for them (and me). PbEM and PbP, while not the same, have enough in common that I feel comfortable offering that as an example.
Aug 15, 2023 2:18 am
WandaPlays says:
Harrigan says:
Aye, there are also things PbP games do better than any other form of the hobby!
Good to hear that. What are those things in your opinion?
Oh my -- there's so much! I've recorded a couple of podcasts on this subject over the years, but off the top of my head...

🔸 Play at your pace and schedule -- obviously helps to be on the same wavelength as the rest of the group, but PbP games are *way* easier to schedule than live ones are because they are generally asynchronous.
🔸 Play *loads* of different games -- virtually anything you've ever wanted to try, you'll find being run, or players willing to try.
🔸 Play virtually anywhere -- on you phone, a few minutes at a time, etc.
🔸 I firmly believe the format allows for deeper characterization and richer storytelling.
🔸 For many, it's easier to roleplay character they are writing, vs. being at the table and doing it.
🔸 It can be easier for everyone to maintain tone and mood. Crack jokes in the OOC or Discord, leave the game to be the fiction you're all creating.
🔸 The GM (and players) have more time to look up rules, to set scenes, to come up with that perfect bit of dialog -- or the cost that accompanies a partial or conditional success, or what that spectacular success or failure looks like.
🔸 Easy linking to images, videos, sounds, etc.

There are indeed lots of cons and it's not for everyone -- speed, games that die on the vine, etc. -- but some of us would actually give up live play before giving up PbP play. I'm one of them.
Aug 15, 2023 8:40 am
Welcome to GP!
Aug 15, 2023 2:13 pm
🔸 Play at your pace and schedule -- obviously helps to be on the same wavelength as the rest of the group, but PbP games are *way* easier to schedule than live ones are because they are generally asynchronous.
🔸 Play *loads* of different games -- virtually anything you've ever wanted to try, you'll find being run, or players willing to try.
🔸 Play virtually anywhere -- on you phone, a few minutes at a time, etc.
🔸 I firmly believe the format allows for deeper characterization and richer storytelling.
🔸 For many, it's easier to roleplay character they are writing, vs. being at the table and doing it.
🔸 It can be easier for everyone to maintain tone and mood. Crack jokes in the OOC or Discord, leave the game to be the fiction you're all creating.
🔸 The GM (and players) have more time to look up rules, to set scenes, to come up with that perfect bit of dialog -- or the cost that accompanies a partial or conditional success, or what that spectacular success or failure looks like.
🔸 Easy linking to images, videos, sounds, etc.

🔸 a lot of games fall apart
🔸 pbp is slow
🔸 no feeling of community

That's not a bad balance!
Aug 15, 2023 2:21 pm
I also don't think 'a lot of games fall apart' is a fair criticism of PbP itself, that is more a problem with 'online games' and 'games with strangers'. Whether they be played by text or using video and voice, it is mainly the anonymity that results in game death.

As mentioned (as a good thing) there is a lot more possibility for finding and trying games, and just the seer numbers may make the problem seem more disproportionately common than it really is.
Aug 15, 2023 8:27 pm
I would also argue that GP *does* have a good sense of community, especially if you're also on the Discord. There are other cons, but why focus on those? ;)
Last edited August 15, 2023 8:28 pm
Aug 16, 2023 8:42 am
I tend to keep away from instant messengers in general, but this thread itself is nice and friendly enough to see the connection of the members of GP.
Last edited August 16, 2023 8:43 am
Aug 16, 2023 4:59 pm
Fair enough -- and I missed your blurb on gaming preferences somehow. You'll find loads of others here with similar preferences. Mine are a close match -- Delta Green, harder and darker sci-fi, cyberpunk, low fantasy... these are a few of my favorite things!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.