What’s a good system for vehicular combat?

Aug 26, 2023 5:09 pm
Hello people of Gamers Plane.

I’m considering running a game about vehicular warfare in a dystopian future. It consists of a transcontinental road race using souped-up, weaponized cars and trucks. Something of a cross between Death Race and Twisted Metal. I used to play a lot of GURPS Car Wars/Autoduel, but that system was fairly complex and very miniatures-oriented, so it’d be difficult to translate to pbp.

I’m looking for a system that’s not overly complicated, but still granular enough that you can customize vehicles and have some interesting fights. Any ideas?
Last edited August 26, 2023 5:28 pm
Aug 26, 2023 5:18 pm
I've been told Atomic Highway can do that, but I haven't played it myself.
Aug 26, 2023 5:58 pm
bowlofspinach says:
I've been told Atomic Highway can do that, but I haven't played it myself.
I’ve heard of it but also never played. I’ll put that on the list.
Aug 26, 2023 6:43 pm
Apocalypse World has a bunch of post-apoc vehicle stuff in it. (Similarly, I have not played AW.)
Aug 26, 2023 11:14 pm
Qralloq says:
Apocalypse World has a bunch of post-apoc vehicle stuff in it. (Similarly, I have not played AW.)
Thanks. I’ve played a little Pbta so I’m considering it.
Aug 27, 2023 12:23 am
I would agree that Apocalypse World has a good mix of mechanical and narrative options for vehicle combat (they were added in the second edition, and are probably the most significant difference between 1e and 2e).
Jan 2, 2024 9:00 pm
Spycraft has good vehicular combat, but don't use 2e, stick to the original. WOIN has specific rules for it, but ymmv there.
Jan 3, 2024 6:36 am
I loved that old Spycraft 1e game. But before that the good old Top Secret/S.I. had pretty solid chase mechanics. I also love that old game.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.